Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

I'd had in mind some kind of black burst finish but I don't really know what it would look like with the body wood, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing at the moment. Need to talk through the options with Tim and then see where I go from there, I think. Need to sort it out soon though, haha! I also might have a favour to ask at some point but I'm not sure yet. :p

A favour you say?

And what was the body wood again? I have something that might be of help, but it's made of cherry from what I understand, so it'll look a bit different.

Yeah, I believe they're vaguely based on SRV's but I don't remember... I read a piece on them at some point. Sets of them alone go for 300-400USD on ebay and reverb. They were only ever fitted in his signature guitars. It's an acquired taste and not for everyone, for sure.

I would think SRV would have had stock pickups, but I really wouldn't know. Hopefully not like those SD Jimi Hendrix pickups.

New guitar for Mat Bemmaly?

That thing looks massive on him.

So if that was on Wednesday then presumably that clip of them at Air Studios recording wasn't posted as soon as it was recorded. So how far in are they recording new shit?

The neck is chunkier, but not as bad as some of the 50s/60s reissues I've played. It's the sunburst with tortoise pickgaurd below. Sorry for not buying your guitar :LOL:

john-mayer-signature-strat-review.jpg

Is the neck supposed to be based on a specific year, or is John Mayer's signature profile?

So if that was on Wednesday then presumably that clip of them at Air Studios recording wasn't posted as soon as it was recorded. So how far in are they recording new shit?

Obviously had it on his phone from months ago and never uploaded it. Looks like a new guitar though.

And we all know who to ask.

dsWQf4b.jpg

I still have not heard what favours Bs desires, but maybe he's not allowed to talk about them in public. Remember, it got him booted out of the public library last time...

Edited by james90

Is the neck supposed to be based on a specific year, or is John Mayer's signature profile?

Obviously had it on his phone from months ago and never uploaded it. Looks like a new guitar though.

And we all know who to ask.

dsWQf4b.jpg

/QUOTE]

Hahaha

I still have not heard what favours Bs desires, but maybe he's not allowed to talk about them in public. Remember, it got him booted out of the public library last time...

Nah, I just might need something sending over if I can't find it available anywhere here. Nothing major, as long as you still don't mind? Think the plan for my custom is pretty much sorted now anyway, pending samples for the finish when the new booth is ready. Just have to wait a month or two now.

Nah, I just might need something sending over if I can't find it available anywhere here. Nothing major, as long as you still don't mind? Think the plan for my custom is pretty much sorted now anyway, pending samples for the finish when the new booth is ready. Just have to wait a month or two now.

Excellent... as long as it's nothing massive. I hope this means I get to see it when I visit. Do you know what stage they're at with the woodwork?

Not sure TBH. My guess is it's a somewhat standard fender shape that he uses as well. It's a 9.5" C shape of I recall. I'm also 6'-4" so large necks don't bother me much.

Not sure TBH. My guess is it's a somewhat standard fender shape that he uses as well. It's a 9.5" C shape of I recall. I'm also 6'-4" so large necks don't bother me much.

9.5" would be the fretboard radius. I wouldn't think that would make a massive difference in the overall feel, at least compared to the size and shape of the back of the neck.

It's interesting though. Some companies will give you the exact spec of the neck, down to the thickness in thousandths of inches... but I can't say I'm too bothered about that. If you can't play before buying, how do you make a judgement on whether it's right for you or not, based on those numbers alone?

:nerd:

9.5" would be the fretboard radius. I wouldn't think that would make a massive difference in the overall feel, at least compared to the size and shape of the back of the neck.

It's interesting though. Some companies will give you the exact spec of the neck, down to the thickness in thousandths of inches... but I can't say I'm too bothered about that. If you can't play before buying, how do you make a judgement on whether it's right for you or not, based on those numbers alone?

:nerd:

Yeah I know that's the fretboard radius, I just don't know any other way of spec-ing out the neck since Fender gives somewhat limited information, at least from what I've seen. I've played one a few weeks back at a local used shop. Went to buy it a week later and it sold that morning, so I've been on the lookout ever since.

Felt a tad chunkier than my current Fender, but not so much as to render is unplayable. Significantly chunkier than the Cort's standard neck, though I can't compare it to a Manson (I assume they're at least similar).

As an aside, just bought my Biffy Ticket. Pittsburgh will assuredly be one of the shittier stops on their current tour.

D.E.T.A.I.L.S.

There are details and then there are D.E.T.A.I.L.S.

But I don't see the point in knowing the neck measurements unless you're actually building the guitar to a precise spec.

Yeah I know that's the fretboard radius, I just don't know any other way of spec-ing out the neck since Fender gives somewhat limited information, at least from what I've seen. I've played one a few weeks back at a local used shop. Went to buy it a week later and it sold that morning, so I've been on the lookout ever since.

Felt a tad chunkier than my current Fender, but not so much as to render is unplayable. Significantly chunkier than the Cort's standard neck, though I can't compare it to a Manson (I assume they're at least similar).

As an aside, just bought my Biffy Ticket. Pittsburgh will assuredly be one of the shittier stops on their current tour.

Most manufacturers only give out basic information like that. Have you played a '65 reissue before? I was surprised how large the necks on those are. Definitely more than a U.S. standard for example.

I forgot when biffy are playing here. It's sold out and I have a ticket, but I can't go :facepalm:

@bridge

Yeah, he just switched over to PRS for everything even though he still predominantly records and gigs with Fender guitars anyways. Amps widely vary from what I understand (Two Rock, Milkman, etc.). He just released a single channel PRS amp too that I'm sure costs a fortune.

Excellent... as long as it's nothing massive. I hope this means I get to see it when I visit. Do you know what stage they're at with the woodwork?

I'm pretty sure the body outline has been cut out and that's it at the moment. Sorry, I've been busy for the last week and now I'm going away tonight for most of the next week too, haha! Should have messaged you before to save time, but I'll drop you a PM now.

I'm pretty sure the body outline has been cut out and that's it at the moment. Sorry, I've been busy for the last week and now I'm going away tonight for most of the next week too, haha! Should have messaged you before to save time, but I'll drop you a PM now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natDUTwI38o

I thought they would've had a bit more done with it. After all, it's been nearly a year since the brexit caused you to crack and order a new custom. It's ok though. I did the same.

Also, Jaicen

http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-news-electrics/meet-first-fender-stratocaster-serial-no-0100/31053