Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

Not sure I'd put my Manson anywhere near bricks like that!!

*knock*

I placed it there very carefully :)

There was also the photoshoot of the rust relic on train tracks. I'm guessing those tracks weren't actually in use though!

Also, surprised DR-19 is still #ForSale... I thought it would've been gone by now, especially with that last update.

Also, surprised DR-19 is still #ForSale... I thought it would've been gone by now, especially with that last update.

Agreed. That's actually pretty reasonably priced for a LE signature series with that spec. I'm a little surprised the hand-painted Zvex MA one-off the works has hasn't sold. I thought only 10 of those were made, each with the different pickgaurd. Its price isn't absurd either.

Drone: 29 arrived in Dallas TX this morning. Had a nice surprise when I pulled out the case it was labeled DL-1. I paused for a second and thought hmm but alas it was my DR-1 inside. Seems like a solid, no-frills basic guitar. Mine has all the options. I really love the custom machine heads on this guitar. So nice when tuning. I might have to order an extra set for my James Tyler.

I'm really happy and thanks to Manson Guitar Works.

The neck relief is almost flat...maybe 0.001" of relief. The action seems a little high for my tastes. Are there official Manson setup specs for their guitars?

Drone: 29 arrived in Dallas TX this morning. Had a nice surprise when I pulled out the case it was labeled DL-1. I paused for a second and thought hmm but alas it was my DR-1 inside. Seems like a solid, no-frills basic guitar. Mine has all the options. I really love the custom machine heads on this guitar. So nice when tuning. I might have to order an extra set for my James Tyler.

The neck relief is almost flat...maybe 0.001" of relief. The action seems a little high for my tastes. Are there official Manson setup specs for their guitars?

Congrats. Yeah the custom hardware is great, although keep in mind you can't use a string winder with them.

And not really. I do remember that the first guitar I got from them in 2008 had higher action than what I was used to, and I had it lowered slightly... but not long after, I ended up putting it back to how it was as it seemed to play better that way.

Congratulations! May I ask how much the import taxes were?

Congratulations! May I ask how much the import taxes were?

I'm not sure. The shipping charge was $225 maybe it was built into that price?

Played the guitar quite a bit last night and I adjusted to their setup pretty quick. Once this thing acclimates to my weather I'm going to set the relief to 0.006". Since that will raise the strings slightly, I'll lower the bridge just slightly. Should be perfect.

Got a problem now. Now I want a real Manson custom guitar. :p

I'm not sure. The shipping charge was $225 maybe it was built into that price?

Played the guitar quite a bit last night and I adjusted to their setup pretty quick. Once this thing acclimates to my weather I'm going to set the relief to 0.006". Since that will raise the strings slightly, I'll lower the bridge just slightly. Should be perfect.

Hm, I never bought anything that big from overseas so I have no idea how this works, but I think usually FedEx would send you a bill ex-post

New products listed up on the MGW site

https://www.mansonguitarworks.com/in...cort-series-29

only a little more expensive than the MBC-1 for the black one huh, I'm sold.

Awesome! I'm glad to see they streamlining the upgrades on the MBC1

Awesome! I'm glad to see they streamlining the upgrades on the MBC1

Same. Might grab a sustainiaced Red Glitter sometime.

Also, I'm glad the High output pickups aren't actives, means I can easily switch it out with some better ones, maybe some other Bareknuckles like the Juggernauts since itll be my sludge/stoner guitar if I buy it. I was worried when I saw the typical black pickup covers

Hm, I never bought anything that big from overseas so I have no idea how this works, but I think usually FedEx would send you a bill ex-post

From what I've gathered from Adrian and others who have purchased from here in the states, Manson will charge you their $225 +/- depending on exchange rate, then FedEx, who it seems they use for shipping, will bill you later for somewhere short of 10% of the purchase price in all likelihood, so don't let that expense be underestimated in budgeting. Technically too, you're to report it to your state as well to pay sales tax on depending on what state you're in. Most people don't do this for your typical online purchases because paper trail is generally lax and the tax equates to next to nothing in the end, but for me in PA for example, 6% on a 3k manson is $180. Since there's import records on that entering the country, I'd be more inclined to think they would look into that and consider auditing if they happened to catch you not reporting it.

I've never set the relief by measurements - only by looking down the neck as well as fretting the 1st and 15th fret and checking the gap at the 8th fret.

I remember the first time I visited them, I discussed my setup preferences for a custom that had just been completed. Seems like I actually prefer the neck a bit flatter than usual. I wouldn't know the measurements, but I doubt they're all exactly the same.

And yes you do. The DR-1 really is a great guitar too. Would you say yours is particularly light? They seem to vary a bit... rust_relic said his is about the same as his MB-1 (which is a fairly average weight) and I've heard from one other person that they said theirs is a bit heavy. Mine is probably one of the lightest guitars I've played though.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice! Got word from MGW on that?

On a similar signature guitars note, I'm surprised there aren't more photos of recent owners of DL-1s with their Swirl Pack's anywhere... Nothing on #mansonguitars

Yeah :) March I was told, but it's not 100% definite. Would make sense though since the DLs are done now. I'm currently in a panic to get my deposit together as I had to use some of it in an emergency.

#mansonguitarworks :)

Jealous of whatever phone he's using to take those pictures with.

On a similar signature guitars note, I'm surprised there aren't more photos of recent owners of DL-1s with their Swirl Pack's anywhere... Nothing on #mansonguitars

I wonder if the rosewood issue is preventing some of them from being sent. My strat (no, not Jaicen's one) is going to be held up for a short while, and that's something I sent to them that's being returned.