Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

You guys still need to tell me how cold the aluminum finish gets in an AC room. :ninja: I'm surprised they managed to squeeze in a couple extra DL and SDL. Wonder if they're fully configured yet.

... who am I kidding I can't even afford the DR-19 .__.

Anyone affected by this ban on wood/rosewood shipments? James how did you get past it? Luckily I'm UK!

You do know that the ban is worldwide, excluding China?

This affects all of us, and will result in higher prices for Rosewood guitars, and eventually will extend to cover the majority of tropical woods including Ebony, Wenge and Koa. This is fundamentally going to alter the industry, and mark my words, you'll see Gibson re-introducing Richlite with a 'told you so' very soon. Also, for people that travel with their instruments, you're going to need import/export licences in theory.

The ban is going to have a MASSIVE impact on the classical instrument world, which is completely inflexible in terms of tonewood, way more so than guitarists would you believe, For example, with instruments like Clarinet made from African Blackwood which is increasingly scarce, and Bubinga etc..

You do know that the ban is worldwide, excluding China?

This affects all of us, and will result in higher prices for Rosewood guitars, and eventually will extend to cover the majority of tropical woods including Ebony, Wenge and Koa. This is fundamentally going to alter the industry, and mark my words, you'll see Gibson re-introducing Richlite with a 'told you so' very soon. Also, for people that travel with their instruments, you're going to need import/export licences in theory.

The ban is going to have a MASSIVE impact on the classical instrument world, which is completely inflexible in terms of tonewood, way more so than guitarists would you believe, For example, with instruments like Clarinet made from African Blackwood which is increasingly scarce, and Bubinga etc..

I think he meant more that it wasn't actually leaving the UK, so the wood police wouldn't go after him for importing.

What do you think will happen to musicians that regularly tour different countries? I guess MB's rigs X, Y, Z, and whatever makes sense now... maybe he'll bring back the old guitars for a future U.S. tour in that case :ninja:

I think he meant more that it wasn't actually leaving the UK, so the wood police wouldn't go after him for importing.

What do you think will happen to musicians that regularly tour different countries? I guess MB's rigs X, Y, Z, and whatever makes sense now... maybe he'll bring back the old guitars for a future U.S. tour in that case :ninja:

Yeah that's what I meant, mine won't have to go through customs.

It was just something MGW mentioned when I rang about my order, that it was causing tons of paperwork issues at the moment.

Edit - Forgot to mention the SDL is all paid for and shipping today!

Edited by dukelion

Yeah that's what I meant, mine won't have to go through customs.

It was just something MGW mentioned when I rang about my order, that it was causing tons of paperwork issues at the moment.

Edit - Forgot to mention the SDL is all paid for and shipping today!

Yeah, I recently had something with rosewood sent from outside of the US, but I have no idea what will happen. It should be fine as all documentation from the exporter is there, but...

And that's cool. Might be delivered tomorrow then?

Also, Jaicen:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Building-a-Better-Fingerboard.aspx

This is all a bit scary, but I can't say I agree with a lot of those points...

Yeah, I recently had something with rosewood sent from outside of the US, but I have no idea what will happen. It should be fine as all documentation from the exporter is there, but...

And that's cool. Might be delivered tomorrow then?

Also, Jaicen:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Gear-Tech/en-us/Building-a-Better-Fingerboard.aspx

This is all a bit scary, but I can't say I agree with a lot of those points...

Gibson will say anything to get you to swallow their changes won't they. If they come clean and say yeah, it's not wood, but these are the benefits etc, that's fine. But don't tell me that it's more expensive. In terms of dimensional stability, it probably is superior to most hardwoods, but I'm not convinced that's necessarily a benefit, and from what I know about composites it's resonance is probably not that hot. There's a reason MDF is used for speaker enclosures after all.

Not at all, MDF has inherent damping which prevents the speaker enclosure from resonating, this has two benefits:

1: less energy is absorbed by the enclosure, increasing apparent level for a given input

2: less resonance means it's easier to tailor the frequency response of the speaker unit through electro-acoustics since you're not getting peaks and dips in the frequency response.

More Cort/Manson guitars

Super hype about the Satin Black one, probably will buy and string up for D-Standard/Drop-C. my gf is excited for the standard tele models since she loves teles so much but I just can't get into them, especially that pickguard shape.

Congratulations to both of you! Any difficulty regarding the rosewood?

jbias, I love how you got a Manson box. Must be because he's an official Manson dealer :p

What do we think of the new MA Cort? I like this one best. Would've liked the Scotch Blonde more if the pickguard were black though

16106011_544532459087782_4355712352250550677_n.jpg?oh=04d6fa14f21f9b3fc20e800f83c0afe9&oe=5907D887

Edited by Cider