The one and only optimistic Muse discussion thread (hopefully)

Claudia O

To me, 'Drones' are metaphorical psychopaths which enable psychopathic behaviour with no recourse. The world is run by Drones utilizing Drones to turn us all into Drones. This album explores the journey of a human, from their abandonment and loss of hope, to their indoctrination by the system to be a human drone, to their eventual defection from their oppressors.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Think I’m in the most positive place with Muse I’ve been since I first became a fan back in ‘09 or whatever. Something just clicked sometime over the last year or so, maybe after SBE. I started to find it pointless to get so...negatively invested in anything that wasn’t amazing or exactly what I want, y’know? Like, I stopped seeing an average, hit-filled set as dogshit or lazy Muse who hate their fans and shit and realised, eh, I still like most of these songs a lot, why does it matter how often they’re played or how many times I’ve seen them? Got a lot more understanding for them as people, instead of idols that you put on a pedestal and hold to a standard that’s always slightly above whatever they’re currently doing, whether it’s gig-length, performance, song quality, rarities, etc. Vast majority of it becomes a lot more understandable when you put yourself in their shoes. Any song I’m not into isn’t the end of the world anymore either. Dig Down’s not the best thing since sliced bread but I can just relax and enjoy it for what it is instead of feeling the need to slag it off or call it ultrashit. Though it does help I actually really like all the others released since.

Idk, it’s hard to describe, I’m just a lot more light-hearted and open to whatever’s coming down the Muse path if that makes sense. If it’s a bit weird or I’m not sure how I feel, oh well, it’s still my favourite band. If it’s good (Pressure), beyond happy days <3

Edit: oops l o n g soz

i am trying to approach muse differently as i generally worship matt in ways i never thought i would and i am realizing it is probably not the healthiest way to go through life. i think the internet made me feel more important and influential than i actually am, which distorted my overall attitude towards the band. i realize that in the universe of muse fans and audience members, the band does not know me nor will i ever know them. my wishes and wants and needs don’t matter. i cannot become consumed with what i want. the music was not written for me. the sets will never be for me. a tv appearance is not for me. it’s for something bigger. i have become selfishly obsessive to a point where i have become ashamed with how i have thought i deserve something from multi-millionaire musicians who will never know me in any capacity. i think that i have been thrown back to earth i can approach muse like i did when i was a young girl. it was easier when i felt a sense of detachment and slipped up on last names. it was easier to enjoy everything when i didn’t feel the music as personally as i do. it was easier when matt bellamy was the cool sparkle guitar man and not someone i desperately wished could be my friend. the connectivity of this new frontier is both a blessing and a curse. i have gone too deep and have lost myself in the waves. i need to accept that i will never know matt or ever speak with him. i will analyze each release from a more objective position despite the common argument that music is subjective. subjectivity has left the music far too entrenched within my soul. i need to separate myself. i need to accept that my ego is subordinate and i must respect the egos of the stars.

Edited by shostakobitch

i am trying to approach muse differently as i generally worship matt in ways i never thought i would and i am realizing it is probably not the healthiest way to go through life. i think the internet made me feel more important and influential than i actually am, which distorted my overall attitude towards the band. i realize that in the universe of muse fans and audience members, the band does not know me nor will i ever know them. my wishes and wants and needs don’t matter. i cannot become consumed with what i want. the music was not written for me. the sets will never be for me. a tv appearance is not for me. it’s for something bigger. i have become selfishly obsessive to a point where i have become ashamed with how i have thought i deserve something from multi-millionaire musicians who will never know me in any capacity. i think that i have been thrown back to earth i can approach muse like i did when i was a young girl. it was easier when i felt a sense of detachment and slipped up on last names. it was easier to enjoy everything when i didn’t feel the music as personally as i do. it was easier when matt bellamy was the cool sparkle guitar man and not someone i desperately wished could be my friend. the connectivity of this new frontier is both a blessing and a curse. i have gone too deep and have lost myself in the waves. i need to accept that i will never know matt or ever speak with him. i will analyze each release from a more objective position despite the common argument that music is subjective. subjectivity has left the music far too entrenched within my soul. i need to separate myself. i need to accept that my ego is subordinate and i must respect the egos of the stars.

welcome back. i missed ur pure form