"might film something" and the snarky, out of touch comment about DVD players really make me think the idea of a full tour video for Drones has been nixed.

Probably get a video of KoC for xmas.

How was that snarky? :LOL:

Did they kill Big Day Out for good? I thought it was dropped for 2014 but the plan was to re-start?

If I'm not mistaken it's now owned by C3 presents. The last Australian to own any significant portion of the show sold it for a dollar, but it's okay, he has no money now. It could come back, but I doubt it.

Edited by bumpypotato

Maybe it just reminded me too much of his "do CD singles still exist?" answer from earlier.

I'm sure he gets a ton of Tweets; if he doesn't want to answer something, I'm sure there's others to answer instead of cracking jokes about how people phrase things, (and saying "maybe" :chuckle: )

I didn't think Defector sounded that great, either, but probably doesn't help that it's my least favorite song on the album, either. Terribly repetitious.

Live, I thought that was more obvious, and that the vocals in the choruses sounded odd.

Are any of the people requesting Defector to be played the ones saying they don't like it? Probably not.

We're not a collective here...

Although, I admit that I was curious why they only played it once, and definitely said they should play it after they told that girl they would.

And I've probably said they should play it after JFK, or drop JFK; but I'd still just vote for the latter.

They should play Defector after JFK.

-they play it-

Defector is a boring song.

To be fair, a lot of people that do this sort of thing (especially in Europe) have been going to multiple shows, and after two or three times getting the same setlist down to the riff, you'll want to hear literally anything different.

In America, we got Revolt a ton when it was being rotated with Reapers and all of us were like "damn, play Defector already and make Reapers a staple".

Are any of the people requesting Defector to be played the ones saying they don't like it? Probably not.

We're not a collective here...

Yeah, i think that's the problem, with a collective, hive mind there would be no issue. But some people like to think WRONG.

I'm clearly in the wrong hive, because I wanted to see Revolt WAY more than either Defector or Reapers...

I never hated Revolt in the first place, never understood the hate for it. I can see why people like the song, a rocket launcher always adds charm.

I never hated Revolt in the first place, never understood the hate for it. I can see why people like the song, a rocket launcher always adds charm.

The only reason I hated it is because it deprived me of the best song on the album they were touring. Rotating Reapers with Revolt was fucking dumb, especially when they were playing UD every single night at the time.

They dropped UD, and one of the visual moments, by the time they got to me, and didn't replace it with anything. :phu:

Maybe it was because the band brought absolutely zero energy to it, but I didn't think Reapers was exactly a highlight of the gig.

The falsetto chorus was a bit awkward, too, and I maybe enjoyed it more when they were doing it with the distortion.

I like the three, Reapers, Defector and Revolt, the only song i don't like of the album is Aftermath, just for the cheesy lyrics.

I still think an instrumental version of Aftermath would be nice. Even more, an instrumental version would let people imagine how the happy ending of the Drones story will be, instead of that cheese-fest.

In that regard, "Unsustainable-Isolated System" was a really clever way to end T2L, i imagine the universe going from the actual form of it to a slow death where all the energy is wasted and drained, there is no light, and the temperature is freezing everything.

I never really thought there was any sort of story or flow to T2L, personally.

Aftermath is honestly how the Drones "story" has to end; it begins with a bad relationship causing a person to turn their back on love and become self-destructive, and then ends with them overcoming that state of mind, and becoming trusting enough to love again.

The way it is laid out, it needed that "full circle" sort of thing.

I mean, it could have been any love song, it didn't need to be Aftermath, I suppose.

I like the idea of it being a rather "cheesy," vulnerable type song, though, a really unguarded sort of love.

I never really thought there was any sort of story or flow to T2L, personally.

Aftermath is honestly how the Drones "story" has to end; it begins with a bad relationship causing a person to turn their back on love and become self-destructive, and then ends with them overcoming that state of mind, and becoming trusting enough to love again.

The way it is laid out, it needed that "full circle" sort of thing.

I mean, it could have been any love song, it didn't need to be Aftermath, I suppose.

I like the idea of it being a rather "cheesy," vulnerable type song, though, a really unguarded sort of love.

If Aftermath had stayed in the style of the intro/verses it would've been great. It's just that last minute and a half or so that really kills it.

Maybe the guitar is difficult to play?

Narp, probably one of their easiest on guitar. In fact, it's probably one of their easiest in general.

They should play Defector after JFK.

-they play it-

Defector is a boring song.

Haven't watched footage yet 'cause it'll only make me sad but I'd kill to see it, just for the solos if anything.

Has anyone noticed that yesterday the piano was only used for the end of The Globalist? That is far more relevant about the setlist to me than the tour debut of Defector.

Meh, s'happened before on this tour. More than once, iirc.

At this point I think we've just got to accept that Matt wants to play as little piano as possible live, as sad as it is.

If Aftermath had stayed in the style of the intro/verses it would've been great. It's just that last minute and a half or so that really kills it.

I don't disagree with that. I just don't think it was the lyrics that are the problem, or the "cheese" - just the fact that they turned the ending into some bizarre sing a long.

Which kind of also craps on the point of it being an intimate song from one person to his partner, thematically.

I died a little hearing him say it DID used to be like that, and I know it's just a hypothetical about whether the "old" versions were better or not... but in this case, I really can't see how carrying that guitar through the whole song would not have been wonderful.

Has anyone noticed that yesterday the piano was only used for the end of The Globalist? That is far more relevant about the setlist to me than the tour debut of Defector.

The piano placement makes it incredibly hard to see him, for many of the people in the arena. It's an energy killer in a gig that really, REALLY doesn't need more of that. It did not work well, and I'm surprised they didn't start dropping it earlier.

I'm sure it'll be back for it's one slot when they go back to a normal stage.

Meh, s'happened before on this tour. More than once, iirc.

At this point I think we've just got to accept that Matt wants to play as little piano as possible live, as sad as it is.

I'd accept it if there was more interesting guitar songs in replacement.