According to a guy on the subreddit, the people around him didn't know what Assassin was and were confused. Can this "Europeans know the material/European crowds are better" nonsense die? It's not true, it has never been true and before anyone compares the Mayan to Exeter, the crowd was mostly industry/friends&family.

Especially when it's used as a prejudice against the US where we generally have less opportunity to see them.

According to a guy on the subreddit, the people around him didn't know what Assassin was and were confused. Can this "Europeans know the material/European crowds are better" nonsense die? It's not true, it has never been true and before anyone compares the Mayan to Exeter, the crowd was mostly industry/friends&family.

Especially when it's used as a prejudice against the US where we generally have less opportunity to see them.

It's funny how they always refer to the Mayan, and not to the Webster, which was apparently insane, and had a sub par setlist comparatively.

Like 50 tickets, maybe, went to fans during the presale for the Mayan.

It was loaded with contest winners and VIPs.

That's all still essentially hearsay really though, isn't it? Its unfair to get the board up in arms because someone's hairdressers cousin was told 'x' would be played in 'y'.

It was more than that, but it's been explained multiple times already.

That's all still essentially hearsay really though, isn't it? Its unfair to get the board up in arms because someone's hairdressers cousin was told 'x' would be played in 'y'.

Except everyone's heard both the Belfast and Brussels one, as they were on video...

We didn't have video evidence of Jobby's request, but I think we can take his word on it, no?

I don't think the fans have been lying.

It's funny how they always refer to the Mayan, and not to the Webster, which was apparently insane, and had a sub par setlist comparatively.

It was loaded with contest winners and VIPs.

If Webster got Assassin instead of The Groove and they got Hyper Music, the floor would have collapsed.

That's okay. I'm mad at Muse's treatment of the US as a whole, not you. :( I'm quite happy for you. :happy:

Yeah, I was gonna get round to saying this in my overall review at the weekend but it's actually made me kinda sad seeing how brilliant these gigs have the potential to be while so many people in other cities/countries have been completely shafted :(

When they put the effort in, these gigs are genuinely pretty amazing imo.

Except everyone's heard both the Belfast and Brussels one, as they were on video...

We didn't have video evidence of Jobby's request, but I think we can take his word on it, no?

I don't think the fans have been lying.

Would've filmed it but needed two hands to hold the sign and shake their hands. I can post pics of the sign and my setlist from the 12th to prove at least some elements of the story though. Ooh, also took some pictures and vids from tonight that could prove where I was stood (right in front of the stairs again). None of Assassin though, as I was...uh...pre-occupied at the time.

Also a guy came up to me at the end of today's gig and knew who I was from the sign, said thanks and stuff which was v nice (if undeserved on my part). So...at least one person has seen/met me at the time :chuckle:

If Webster got Assassin instead of The Groove and they got Hyper Music, the floor would have collapsed.

Yeah, I heard the crowd was brill at Webster. Shows how active the US crowds can be when you actually give them something that prompts it.

Edited by Jobby

Brilliant, brilliant gig. The crowd around me had been fairly sedate until the drums kicked in during Assassin, and then it suddenly got wild af. Just reflects how powerful a song it is...

A few things I didn't expect tonight:

- Prelude actually works live

- Matt's falsettos all sound fine when you're actually there

- Resistance :mad:

- Assassin, after it looked so much like they were about to play Interlude (congrats Jobby :D)

- Reapers' first choruses don't quite work live

- PiB to still be so good, every damn time

Yeah, I was gonna get round to saying this in my overall review at the weekend but it's actually made me kinda sad seeing how brilliant these gigs have the potential to be while so many people in other cities/countries have been completely shafted :(

When they put the effort in, these gigs are genuinely pretty amazing imo.

Would've filmed it but needed two hands to hold the sign and shake their hands. I can post pics of the sign and my setlist from the 12th to prove at least some elements of the story though. Ooh, also took some pictures and vids from tonight that could prove where I was stood (right in front of the stairs again). None of Assassin though, as I was...uh...pre-occupied at the time.

Also a guy came up to me at the end of today's gig and knew who I was from the sign, said thanks and stuff which was v nice (if undeserved on my part). So...at least one person has seen/met me at the time :chuckle:

Yeah, I heard the crowd was brill at Webster. Shows how active the US crowds can be when you actually give them something that prompts it.

I don't want you, or anyone else (unless they've been a dick about it; you haven't) to feel sad about it.

I feel sad enough about it for 100 people. Why would I want you to diminish your awesome experience? :(

I might wish the band felt at least a little ashamed of what they did... but well, something about wishes and shits...

That said, I felt a weird sort of survivors guilt or something, myself, for seeing the DC show, and it wasn't even that comparatively spectacular (once the US tour was over.)

I felt like I shouldn't talk about how much I enjoyed that gig, even though I still had the sour taste of the night before in my mouth.

(Matt's comments about the US not long afterwards did take a shit on my warm feelings, however...)

A lot more .mu fans got into the Webster, too, because of the password fuckup with the presale; they released a lot more tickets, in addition to the normal allocation.

I don't recall reading about a single person who didn't get tickets in that presale, and that's why my hopes were SO high that I'd get into the Mayan.

Went to the three gigs at The O2 so far this week, got to say they've been far better than I expected them to be! Then again I hadn't seen them for 3 years so it was also good to hear the new songs, anyway my thoughts!

Stage is pretty cool, though the crowd feels a bit more disjointed, but excellent for viewing spots

Phantogram were a bit of a snorefest

Dead Inside is good live, Madness looks like the pointless little brother when played later in the same set

Matt really cba with guitar much anymore (Starlight, Uprising)

JFK into Interlude may be the most pointless thing ever :chuckle: but into Assassin :awesome:

The Globalist isn't really for me, too long, though the riffage is good

Undisclosed Desires and Resistance...zzzzz

Mercy was far better live than I thought it would be

Knights felt a bit flat compared to previous times seeing them

Loved seeing them again though and a fair few setlist changes each night kept me interested enough! Highlight had to be Assassin just suddenly beginning out of nowhere

Still better the tour gets better eventually than having a Resistance Tour style of global bitterness until 2011. Just sucks there was this large, and likely self-aware, dip in quality in the middle.

The ordering is still a mess though.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

See, it's quotes like this that leave me convinced that if you're negative, you're just going to fabricate your own reality and stick to it. And that it will even alter your memories of something, and then you take it as fact, because that's what/how you remembered it.

I was at the Mayan show and stood in line for a good six hours. Made friends and chatted with plenty of people. There were way, way more than 50 tickets for fans. Even just among people I knew who attended, there were about a dozen people who got tickets at presale. And then talking to other people in line and stuff, there were plenty of actual fans and not insiders or VIP's around.

But cling to the believe that hardly anyone "deserving" was there, and you reinforce that "Muse gives zero shits about us" mentality.

Now, this is just one small detail, of course, and I'm not saying that my experience proves Muse really cares what each and everyone one of us feels. But my point is that it seems like many people take a moment and blow it up and skew it so much that what started as an uncertain and open-to-interpretation thing can evolve into practically dogma, and then when said dogma is broken, people use it as proof of the continued devolution of the band--and then even say that it's intentional and malicious.

Music can be a great escape and relief and uplift, but when it becomes something that causes you grief and frustration, I think you need to let it go a little bit and lose some of that investment. There can be a thing as too much enthusiasm.

Or you're just a person who can never really be satisfied, because it will never live up to past results or un-objective expectations.

See, it's quotes like this that leave me convinced that if you're negative, you're just going to fabricate your own reality and stick to it. And that it will even alter your memories of something, and then you take it as fact, because that's what/how you remembered it.

I was at the Mayan show and stood in line for a good six hours. Made friends and chatted with plenty of people. There were way, way more than 50 tickets for fans. Even just among people I knew who attended, there were about a dozen people who got tickets at presale. And then talking to other people in line and stuff, there were plenty of actual fans and not insiders or VIP's around.

But cling to the believe that hardly anyone "deserving" was there, and you reinforce that "Muse gives zero shits about us" mentality.

Now, this is just one small detail, of course, and I'm not saying that my experience proves Muse really cares what each and everyone one of us feels. But my point is that it seems like many people take a moment and blow it up and skew it so much that what started as an uncertain and open-to-interpretation thing can evolve into practically dogma, and then when said dogma is broken, people use it as proof of the continued devolution of the band--and then even say that it's intentional and malicious.

Music can be a great escape and relief and uplift, but when it becomes something that causes you grief and frustration, I think you need to let it go a little bit and lose some of that investment. There can be a thing as too much enthusiasm.

Or you're just a person who can never really be satisfied, because it will never live up to past results or un-objective expectations.

You realize there was also a general sale, right?

I never said people weren't "deserving." Fans could get tickets through the general sale, it's just a larger pool of people. And of course if you're queuing, you're around people who are also more likely to be big fans... no?

But there was a severely disproportionate amount of tickets released to the public, pre-sale or no, versus the Webster, and the venue capacity.

Do I blame Muse for this? They probably weren't even aware of it, tbh, after they sold the rights to AXS and Guitar Center.

I can tell you for a fact that there were a HUGE amount of tickets held back for VIP, friends and family, and give aways with radio and Guitar Center, as well as for people working on the recording, etc.

Because I know someone who works for one of the companies involved. (I offered him a substantial bribe to get on his list for entry, to no avail, while he attended the gig and hated it.)

I still have his emails to me, and the selfie he sent me from the gig (because he's a bit of a dick,) but I doubt he'd be impressed if I shared, sorry.

I know a lot of assholes from the back in the day who still get a lot of cool shit and free entry to places, for all the good it ever does me. I think the last thing I ever got was free entry to a terrible Evanescence gig, iirc. :chuckle:

The guy who "interviewed" Matt and Dom back in '12 and shared it with me used to be a journo, and was free lance at the time, for example, and the guy I knew at the Dallas gig used to coordinate events at the venue.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

The tickets were sold out in less than a minute for the Mayan and speaking to people throughout the line (I was there for 39 hours), most were industry people or Guitar Center/KROQ contest winners. Hardly any of the hardcore fans got in because they were in the stupid fucking waiting room while people who jumped on were able to snag them from us, not to mention the dickheads that were scalping a minute or two after the sale opened (how most of my friends got in).

Maybe there were 200-300 tickets available but that's nothing to satiate the demand for Muse in Los Angeles where the most recent shows in that town at the time were three nights at the Staples Center. I was able to grab tickets for friends at the Webster 45 minutes after sales opened up despite them playing multiple nights in Madison Square Garden.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Did the people buying scalped tickets get in okay...? I've always sort of regretted chickening out on that $1000 ticket I got offered. But I was so terrified of taking such an expensive flight for nothing.

When I first asked my contact about getting into the gig, he laughed me off and said that asking him to get me into a "private gig" was "a bit rich."

I had to send him the link to .mu about the presale and the general onsale before he believed that it was a public gig.

He got back to me about a week later, defending himself, saying that his crew referred to it as a "private gig" (and I recall seeing websites and radio stations refer to it that way, too) but that "something like 500 or so" tickets went onsale, and about 10% of those were likely presale.

I offered him obscene amounts of money to be his +1, as I got desperate. :noey:

He ended up taking some underaged girl and sending me filthy pics of them at the gig.

Was not a person I enjoyed contacting again after all that time.

As for the "less than a minute" I got into the presale buying page after immediately opening a second window while I was in the waiting room (proving the waiting room was flawed bullshit,) and it was sold out before the clock rolled past :00.

Was crushing.

Awesome that they played Assassin. Shame for Belfast (it was Belfast right? sorry I'm really out of the loop with a lot of this) that it wasn't played there but I guess Matt probably just genuinely forgot he'd promised it. This tour honestly makes me wonder what to do when/if they come to Australia later in the year. The current setlist inconsistency is making me want to see more than one gig so that I don't only go to one and get disappointed but at the same time I've seen certain places just get shafted entirely for like 2 or 3 gigs in a row.

Awesome that they played Assassin. Shame for Belfast (it was Belfast right? sorry I'm really out of the loop with a lot of this) that it wasn't played there but I guess Matt probably just genuinely forgot he'd promised it. This tour honestly makes me wonder what to do when/if they come to Australia later in the year. The current setlist inconsistency is making me want to see more than one gig so that I don't only go to one and get disappointed but at the same time I've seen certain places just get shafted entirely for like 2 or 3 gigs in a row.

I wouldn't worry about it, any of the Australian dates are better than 95% of the shows anywhere else based on previous tours (unless you count stadium gigs).

wew lad

I'm too cheap to pay for a room I'll only shower in, explaining why I slept outside Staples for 2010/2013/2015

I wouldn't worry about it, any of the Australian dates are better than 95% of the shows anywhere else based on previous tours (unless you count stadium gigs).

Set was pretty meh on the last tour in Sydney tbh but I guess it's true that certain fan favourite songs generally make an appearance in at least one state.

Also... Looks and sounds incredible. Ah London you lucky sods.

[YT]

[/YT]

Australia tends to get pretty good sets, iirc. But, if you can afford multiple dates, it really does seem like a good bet this tour. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I didn't have those DC tickets back.

While admittedly I'm bitching a ton about all this, in what I can only assume is a misguided attempt to work through my anger, it's a bit sad to see people attempt to say people are making things up in order to justify being negative.

I was going to run right to the forum and post what I heard back in '12, but the lovely fellow threatened me about doing anything like that so badly I was terrified to even think about it.

I've just plain stopped caring about that sort of thing, lately. :chuckle: Turns out there's worse things.

Does hearing band members casually joke about US gigs and US crowds taint my experiences? You bet your ass.

And yet, I bought tickets on some misguided hope that Muse would prove all that wasn't true.

Instead, we were treated to massive tech failures, intentionally bland setlists, and other fans saying the band/management admitted the US setlists were completely intentional, insulting the US, and telling us to "go to Europe" or shut up.

Which, I think, makes negativity pretty justified...

Incidentally, despite everything that's happened this tour, I keep thinking "Matt said they might come back! Maybe they'll come back with the improved setlists and come near me!!" in the back of my mind.

So, apparently I'm not negative enough...

Set was pretty meh on the last tour in Sydney tbh but I guess it's true that certain fan favourite songs generally make an appearance in at least one state.

Also... Looks and sounds incredible. Ah London you lucky sods.

[YT]

[/YT]

WOW!!!ASSASSIN!!!!FUCK,IN AMAZING!!!!!

Good work Jobby:thumbsup:

You realize there was also a general sale, right?

Yes, I do. And it occurred to me that maybe you were literally saying 50 only for presale after I finished typing all of that, having assumed when you said "presale" you meant to blanket apply it. So my bad on that. But at the same time, I find it hard to believe that I happened to know about 12 of the 50 tickets available on presale. If you had said 500, I wouldn't have objected or used it as an example.

I'm well aware that a large allotment of the Mayan tickets was given to insiders, VIP, friends, family. But it was sounding like you were making a claim of like more than half or 3/4 was reserved, which I disagree with and doesn't make sense to me.

Also, your connection sounds like a pretty scummy guy, and even if he has inside connections, doesn't sound like a reliable person--which makes me question his claim of ticket allotments (i.e. sounds like something he'd just spout rather than actually know).

Also, I was unclear, but I wasn't accusing you personally of claiming some people who get into rare gigs aren't deserving, but around these forums, there are definitely some people who carry an elitist attitude or judge others for "how good of a fan" they are based on things like how rowdy or not rowdy they might look on a video taken on a cell phone from a distance away.

most were industry people or Guitar Center/KROQ contest winners. Hardly any of the hardcore fans got in

That's a little judgmental, isn't it? Who says contest winners weren't hardcore fans either?

But yeah, of course, the tickets available were grossly underproportional to the demand. Even if 100% of the Mayan's capacity was reserved for hardcore fans, there wouldn't have been enough tickets available. It's not like there are only 500 hardcore Muse fans in LA. The moment they announced a show at the Mayan, they were going to disappoint a large majority of their fans who would try to attend the show but not be able to.

I was there for 39 hours

You, sir, have problems! LOL :LOL: :LOL:

it's a bit sad to see people attempt to say people are making things up in order to justify being negative

I'm not exactly saying you're making things up. I'm saying that you're taking tangible, actual events and then inserting your own bias and spin on them in a manner that spirals the negativity. And then that altered state of recollection becomes your reality and memory.

Take your DC show. You were incredibly high and raving about it immediately afterward, commenting on how even just one song could impact the experience so much, plus the band was better, and couldn't have a bad thing to say. But a few days passed, and then you heard Matt's comments, and that colored your view of the show. And then you started posting more negative and critical comments. Because you took his comments personally and then injected your assumption of his motivations into things. And so now, even though you do say the DC show was great and the best one of the US Tour, you post about that show with a lot less positive fervor than initially.

But you didn't feel that way initially (or didn't appear to). And if you had never heard Matt's comments, you probably would have remained exclusively high on the show. But you've admitted as such that Matt's comments soured the show on you. So stow that into the trove of things here and there that Muse or Matt have done over the years to negatively impact your enjoyment of them. And over time, that builds up, and it weighs on you, and you become burdened by it and start to accept as fact the shroud of negativity that you've enclosed around you--with all these incidents as proof. Incidents that, honestly, some people might interpret differently (because they're different people).

Really, all of that was just a commentary on the psychology of the more "egregious" negative Nancy's I've noticed around here. And my remark is that it seems like it's a lot of stress for something that should just be fun, so maybe it's better to not be so fervent, because wouldn't that just be better for you anyway?

But it's your choice to behave and react the way you do to the band and what it does. If you want to be slighted, go ahead, and if not, cool also. I'm not offended by your posts or anything like that, so hopefully, you are not offended by mine either. I'm just making commentary on what I observe. Frankly, this sort of brooding criticism/negativity is a phenomenon with pretty much every enthusiast community I see--being it other bands or Disney or comic books or pro wrestling or politics. It runs the gamut.