Can doubt all you want, but I've never backed out on a commitment, no matter how superfluous, without consent from the party I committed to.

Work or social.

I keep my social circle small, and my mouth typically shut, so people don't take advantage, but it's something I take very seriously.

What I'm saying is that I'm not certain that a mumbled "maybe later" when put on the spot counts as a commitment.

As far as I'm concerned, anything Matt promises should be taken with a grain of salt, and if he actually follows through on it, it's a bonus.

I've always thought this, but then he had been on a good run until this.

At least the Dildrone worked in Belfast. Another fucking fail with it tonight bouncing along people's heads.

Oh dear.

Genuinely amazes me the dildrone is still being attempted, given how frequently it fucks up.

I'm now imagining the poor guy getting smothered by a giant inflatable butt plug after finally getting his wish...

There are worse ways to die tbf.

What I'm saying is that I'm not certain that a mumbled "maybe later" when put on the spot counts as a commitment.

That's completely not what you said... Anyways, it was a "maybe" but it sounded more definite, and Matt apologized to the crowd for not remembering it. And then they worked it out and played it at a gig right after, so that was an encouraging sign...

He does say something else about the song in Belfast, but the god awful wailing drowns it out.

I've always thought this, but then he had been on a good run until this.

Oh dear.

Genuinely amazes me the dildrone is still being attempted, given how frequently it fucks up.

There are worse ways to die tbf.

I mean... I suppose you could die from an actual butt plug accident... but I really don't wanna die at a Muse gig.

I don't think "maybe later" was said. It was "next time we'll play it"

The wording was "Maybe we'll work it for the next time but I can't remember the chords or lyrics right now." Although kinda tricky to work out given its a YouTube video from barrier and they're all screaming "COME ON JUST FUCKING PLAY IT!!!!"

Do you even know what was actually said or are you just being an ass about it for the sake of it?

Watched the video two seconds ago. I'm "being an ass" about it because I often think people on here lack a bit of perspective.

I don't think "maybe later" was said. It was "next time we'll play it"

No, he literally said "maybe we'll work it out for next time".

The wording was "Maybe we'll work it for the next time but I can't remember the chords or lyrics right now." Although kinda tricky to work out given its a YouTube video from barrier and they're all screaming "COME ON JUST FUCKING PLAY IT!!!!"

He says he's "really sorry" after that, and keeps talking, so we really have no idea what else he said, unless someone was there; so I trust the Belfast people.

Either way, the fact that they "worked it out" for some other Psycho Tour gigs meant they took the request seriously enough to go and rehearse it right away, doesn't it?

I mean, the "maybe" pertained to working it out, and they clearly did that.

It would have been effortless to play it in Belfast.

By the logic of one of your previous arguments, it shouldn't be a big deal, because Belfast people could have just hopped on a flight to London easily and conveniently and cheaply. :p

(Am totally just giving you a hard time.)

To be fair, that argument has quite a bit of merit ($36 flight to and from London), that's less than what I spend on gas getting to a single gig, (not to mention the cost of full vehicular insurance because American drivers are assholes, last time I went uninsured to a Muse gig 18 hours away, I had a hit and run which ended up costing $5,000 out of pocket) and they'd have access to 4-5 shows but promising Belfast and playing it a week later is incredibly awful.

I really do know how much it sucks to be promised, travel and not get what was promised.

No, he literally said "maybe we'll work it out for next time".

Just watched it, and you're right, but to say "maybe next time" and to play it the gig following that show a year ago in Manchester or something, then continue playing it at the Mayan, I think a festival somewhere too, not follow it up a year later in Belfast and THEN play it in London where it wasn't even a "maybe" is not cool.

If they played it in Belfast and continued to play it in London, okay. That'd be fine.

To be fair, that argument has quite a bit of merit ($36 flight to and from London), that's less than what I spend on gas getting to a single gig, (not to mention the cost of full vehicular insurance because American drivers are assholes, last time I went uninsured to a Muse gig 18 hours away, I had a hit and run which ended up costing $5,000 out of pocket) and they'd have access to 4-5 shows but promising Belfast and playing it a week later is incredibly awful.

I really do know how much it sucks to be promised, travel and not get what was promised.

If they knew it would be played beforehand... Getting 400 level seats to a gig or something for a last minute request would be balls, too.

Travel's also a lot more expensive and random.

I mean, I'm not saying $700 for two flights for that Philly setlist and attitude wasn't awful; it completely was.

The band shouldn't reward only the fans that can afford to travel, miss work, and pay for multiple expensive gig tickets, though. That's not how "being a fan" should work.

What about the person who saves for months and sacrifices to go to just ONE gig?

And if they'd never played Assassin between Belfasts, I'd have bought it was "just a maybe."

He says he's "really sorry" after that, and keeps talking, so we really have no idea what else he said, unless someone was there; so I trust the Belfast people.

Either way, the fact that they "worked it out" for some other Psycho Tour gigs meant they took the request seriously enough to go and rehearse it right away, doesn't it?

I mean, the "maybe" pertained to working it out, and they clearly did that.

It would have been effortless to play it in Belfast.

Its something like "We'll play something of a similar vein from a different album". Not quite sure if Unnatural Selection is closer to Assassin... although tbf its closer to Assassin than Undisclosed Desires, as the Belfast Odyssey gig got.

I was there.

That quote roughly right?

Probably not wholly accurate but the first word of the justification for not doing it at Ulster Hall was "Maybe" in the 2 vids I did watch.

That's why I say it's a bonus. I feel like if you start expecting them to regularly fulfill expectations you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

That's sort of a shitty way to live, though. What about Matt telling people he'd play CE at Barclays, and people showed up for that?

Or Defector in Brussels?

I'm a cynical asshole, but I think that's a crappy attitude to have to have to not be disappointed.

I have a bootleg.

Hearing the assassin chants:

"I saw that little hashtag via, today... I forgot to, ah, can't remember how it goes... (jam intro)... have to learn assassin next time, I can't remember it, dont want to fuck it up now.. (jam second riff)... we dont have the funny bass with the weird white string coming out of it... how does it go? (jam intro)... can we do, like, a metal version? Maybe we'll work it out for the next time, okay? [inaudible, haven't practiced it?] we've practiced this one though!"

then US starts

so yeah

fair to believe him really...

That's sort of a shitty way to live, though. What about Matt telling people he'd play CE at Barclays, and people showed up for that?

Or Defector in Brussels?

I'm a cynical asshole, but I think that's a crappy attitude to have to have to not be disappointed.

It's a wonderful attitude to have. The gigs I went to after spending lots of time in this thread and seeing rotations and thus expecting certain songs? I didn't get those songs so I was well disappointed and it ruined my mood during the gig.

Gigs where I've had no expectations and was more interested in the support acts? Brilliant, great nights!

I follow this line of thinking in every day life as well. Balls I've probably failed that exam. Oh I scraped a pass? YAY!

I have a bootleg.

Hearing the assassin chants:

"I saw that little hashtag via, today... I forgot to, ah, can't remember how it goes... (jam intro)... have to learn assassin next time, I can't remember it, dont want to fuck it up now.. (jam second riff)... we dont have the funny bass with the weird white string coming out of it... how does it go? (jam intro)... can we do, like, a metal version? Maybe we'll work it out for the next time, okay? [inaudible, haven't practiced it?] we've practiced this one though!"

then US starts

so yeah

fair to believe him really...

Woo.

Or Defector in Brussels?

Honestly, ever since I stopped following these threads and worrying about the setlist, I've enjoyed going to see Muse a lot more.

Also, I've seen plenty of moaning on other forums about the setlists of other bands/artists so Muse are by no means the only ones where I have this attitude.

Edited by funkadelic