It seems that the imagination of Matt Bellamy and co knows no bounds, as Muse tour manager Glen Rowe hinted at what the band’s next tour might look like. “We want to do a stage made of magnets so the band can levitate on other magnets,” he said.

“It’s those questions that keep me awake every night of my life. If there are any magnet technicians out there, please come and see me because that’s what we’re trying to achieve.”

The fuck?

Why can't they be more down-to-earth?

They've (well, Matt) always had a flair for extravagant stage designs tbf so it's not surprising. They just didn't have enough money to pull much of it off until BH&R/TR.

...that said, I audibly groaned when I read the magnet thing :indiff:

Favourite stage design was the Psycho stage. Just some lights, that's all that's needed. No helium drones or hot air balloons please, Matt.The band seriously need to ditch the stupid jumpsuits too.

2016 festival tour for me, other than the OOS L/R '11 stage that was just a one-off. A slightly bigger version of that would be perfect for arenas.

For fuck sake Matt focus more on the songwriting instead of the stage design please.

tbf, Matt barely has anything to do with it, from the sound of it. He comes up with an outlandish idea, and then Glen and co are in charge of figuring it out. That was sort of the gist of the quote, too.

Matt said he hadn't seen the Drones stage or drones or anything until the (one) rehearsal, so he's obviously not that involved with it.

But I wholeheartedly agree that the band has just become a gimmick at this point, and that's depressing.

I know U2 get outside help to do most of their stage design, while Anton Corbijn more or less controls Depeche Mode's. So its not as if the whole principle is uncommon, although each group will obviously have varying degrees of input and control on the process. I do like the big silly stadium stage spectaculars, but I do think after a decade or so of increasingly extravagant compositions that it might be time to tone it down a bit.

Doubt the jumpsuits will return for the next LP's tour anyway. Well unless they decide to save money on their tour clothing bill.

At this point, the show is the selling point and not the name. My dad came to Download, he enjoyed the show; but said the stage was lacking. He missed the show. He's very much a guy who likes his fancy stages and lighting, and there's nothing wrong with that. But this is what probably pushes them to keep doing the big productions. Dunno how I feel about it, especially if it restricts the performance

Meh, Muse can do what they want, but what they can't do (without being called out) is complain because people don't appreciate their deeper cuts when they market themselves as a pop band with a huge light show. Like...what do they think is gonna happen? And the only way out of it is to stop pandering to these people.

But if Muse enjoy their current success in the form of fans who are there for the lights, then keep it up. Just don't fucking whine about how dead the crowds are, because that's your own damn fault.