I've only heard Wish/Last/Sanctified/Closer/Starfuckers/Somewhat Damaged/The Wretched/Survivalism/1,000,000 a handful of times and those are definitely hits.

u wat

in what universe are Sanctified and Somewhat Damaged hits?? Hardcore fan favourites, definitely, but hits? I'd guess most casuals don't know them at all.

Encore:

16.)Psycho

17.)Uprising/Resistance/Neutron Star Collision

18.)Sign o the Times/Lies/Lithium/Can't Take My Eyes Off You/Feeling Good/*new cover*

19.)Mercy/Starlight

20.)*new closer if they have something really cool otherwise move slot 6 down here*

Fucking end my existence if I have to go through a fucking encore of Psycho, Resistance, Feeling Good, Starlight, Knights.

Seriously, the band has some hits that NEED to be there. It's not even that many of them, really, considering Resistance and UD aren't there 100% of the time, Mercy will be gone next tour, and possibly even DI.

They have PLENTY of time for other songs, still, especially if they're not loading the set with IS, Prelude, Interlude, Drill Sgt, JFK, etc.

Talking about rotating Starlight is silly, and actually weakens the whole argument for better setlists in the first place.

Seriously, the band has some hits that NEED to be there. It's not even that many of them, really, considering Resistance and UD aren't there 100% of the time, Mercy will be gone next tour, and possibly even DI.

They have PLENTY of time for other songs, still, especially if they're not loading the set with IS, Prelude, Interlude, Drill Sgt, JFK, etc.

Talking about rotating Starlight is silly, and actually weakens the whole argument for better setlists in the first place. .

Look guys, it's Matt in a disguise! /s

For real tho, I wouldn't rely on that. Remember what happened to CoD, EP, IBtY, MKU and Big Freeze?

Look guys, it's Matt in a disguise! /s

For real tho, I wouldn't rely on that. Remember what happened to CoD, EP, IBtY, MKU and Big Freeze?

Not exactly following what you mean about those last songs.

My point is the gigs have become "the hits," and new songs, and filler, and theyre not only excluding "deep cuts" but songs from the last album aren't even carrying over.

And talking about removing those big hits DOES undermine what we're asking for.

Matt's actually correct that not many people want to hear the same songs we do - and the people who meet them whining that the whole set should be the Zepp are making things worse.

You really think that 10k arena isn't LOADED with people who would be furious to not hear Starlight?

People were upset about the lack of hits on the Psycho Tour ffs.

Removing the big ones isn't a reasonable expectation.

My point is the gigs have become "the hits," and new songs, and filler, and theyre not only excluding "deep cuts" but songs from the last album aren't even carrying over.

And talking about removing those big hits DOES undermine what we're asking for.

Matt's actually correct that not many people want to hear the same songs we do - and the people who meet them whining that the whole set should be the Zepp are making things worse.

You really think that 10k arena isn't LOADED with people who would be furious to not hear Starlight?

People were upset about the lack of hits on the Psycho Tour ffs.

Removing the big ones isn't a reasonable expectation.

Of course they need to play some of the hits, but isn't stuff like this a bit too much?

mp9JzOG.png

We've never talked about removing the hit songs completely. It would be just nice to have something else than hits, too.

And yet you're the one at the top of the page saying Mercy and Dead Inside will be gone next tour? :rolleyes:

If the next album goes the same way though, they're going to have a real problem of too many similar songs. It's already been pointed out about Madness and Dead Inside, and Starlight and Mercy feel kind of the same to me. Of course you could say the same about a lot of their heavy songs as well, but that's another issue. :chuckle:

The point is that no song is exempt really. They've dropped songs like PIB and TIRO before. There's no real reason that Starlight or SMBH or anything else is guaranteed a place in the setlist in the future. It just depends what kind of mood they're in. :erm:

Talking about rotating Starlight is silly, and actually weakens the whole argument for better setlists in the first place.

I bet mercy doesn't go

They have PLENTY of time for other songs, still, especially if they're not loading the set with IS, Prelude, Interlude, Drill Sgt, JFK, etc

That. Sure they have time, but are you really relying on them ever actually playing them? The songs I mentioned were played a few times and then dropped even though they're basically perfect live songs. Big Freeze has never been played and it still has the most live potential from T2L after Madness and maybe Survival. I'm afraid same thing might happen to defector.

I don't believe Mercy will carry over at all.

Defector and Reapers are already gone.

Dead Inside should, but as its been getting a terrible reaction, I think it's up in the air.

I worry Psycho will be the hold over.

There's a handful of songs people DO go to these gigs for; Starlight, Madness, SMBH, KoC, Uprising and maybe still TIRO.

That's not even really that many.

The fact that they're terribly samey is unfortunately because that's how Muse chooses to promote themselves and is why they've got the audience problem that they do.

Spreading those songs out though would help us not having such a boring stretch and probably also the more casual crowd from being bored at all the other times, too.

But no, I don't think there's any need to deprive people of one of those songs when it's really only like six.

That. Sure they have time, but are you really relying on them ever actually playing them? The songs I mentioned were played a few times and then dropped even though they're basically perfect live songs. Big Freeze has never been played and it still has the most live potential from T2L after Madness and maybe Survival. I'm afraid same thing might happen to defector.

The problem still isn't the existing songs in the set, it's that Matt clearly stated multiple times he won't play something unless everyone knows it.

Trying to convince him to play even a single song he considers not popular with everyone has repeatedly failed. He even went so far as to say the crowd doesn't like it when those sort of songs are played. That's the real problem.

They've shown they're willing to drop or rotate second tier hits like Hysteria, UD, Resistance, etc. But they end up out of options with Matt's attitude.

We all know the best live songs get dropped and the worst stay, so I'm guessing the only ones staying for next tour will be DI, maybe Psycho and maybe Mercy. (though none of those are terrible live tbh). Reapers, Handler and Globalist will almost certainly be gone. They'll still probably find a way to fit Drill Sergeant, JFK and Drones into the set though.

The problem still isn't the existing songs in the set, it's that Matt clearly stated multiple times he won't play something unless everyone knows it.

Trying to convince him to play even a single song he considers not popular with everyone has repeatedly failed. He even went so far as to say the crowd doesn't like it when those sort of songs are played. That's the real problem.

To be honest, Muse of all people should know that they have arguably one of the most obsessive fanbases around (and that's not always a compliment either, haha!). The idea that the band, or Matt, legitimately thinks that more than 90% of people at a given show care about less than 10% of their discography is ludicrous to me.

His rule is bullshit, in the U.K anyway imo.

Some facts that show this;

- obsessive and commited Fanbase, and a back catalogue that has been around a long time

- the suprise "pop" Take a Bow got at my 3 gigs shows people know these songs. Take a Bow wasn't a single, and came from a packed album (SMBH, Starlight, Knights, Map)

- New Born, Butterflies & Hurricanes, Muscle Museum, Sunburn; all ridiculously underplayed AND all charted very well. I'd argue all are well known bar MM. B&H and New Born are the biggest victims of being underplayed in this case. Rotating these with songs in the set would've improved it SO much and people know them as much (and more) as stuff like CE, Apocalypse Please, TaB, UD

- People more than ever watch clips of shows before they attend on YT. The more Muse play something, the more attention it would get. Basically if they whipped out Hyper Music at every gig on a leg, then the next tour they did people would remember it

It's not hard. Rant over lol

There are also the countless examples over the years that I'm sure every single one of us has, and certainly with pretty much everyone I've ever met who's got into Muse in some form or another, of so many songs where the case is basically "I never realised how awesome 'such and such song A' and 'such and such song B' were until I saw it live or watched a live video online". Muse have always been one of those bands really, but alas, we seem to be swimming against the tide these days. I'll still happily enjoy the hits live, but there's no question that seeing Citizen Erased again was the highlight of the show for me last time I saw them. It only takes a few songs to make a real difference to a hell of a lot of people.

To be honest, Muse of all people should know that they have arguably one of the most obsessive fanbases around (and that's not always a compliment either, haha!). The idea that the band, or Matt, legitimately thinks that more than 90% of people at a given show care about less than 10% of their discography is ludicrous to me.

I couldn't agree with this more, and it's why I've been ranting about Matts attitude about it to fans since that Twitter escapade.

He honestly seems to believe what he says, too, which is insane.

Look at that video with the French fans. He very clearly (and kinda rudely) tells them they're wrong that more than 1% know the songs, and he says fans don't like that stuff being played.

He'd previously told the US the same bs about CE/Bliss.

I guess I'm just more on the (should be) realistic side where 1-2 songs would have made a difference to me (i.e. what a majority of Europe did get.).

There are also the countless examples over the years that I'm sure every single one of us has, and certainly with pretty much everyone I've ever met who's got into Muse in some form or another, of so many songs where the case is basically "I never realised how awesome 'such and such song A' and 'such and such song B' were until I saw it live or watched a live video online". Muse have always been one of those bands really, but alas, we seem to be swimming against the tide these days. I'll still happily enjoy the hits live, but there's no question that seeing Citizen Erased again was the highlight of the show for me last time I saw them. It only takes a few songs to make a real difference to a hell of a lot of people.

I quoted a bunch of the reviews from the US gigs a while back.

Nearly all of them that I read said something just like that.

The best was from I think Boston, where the person was only familiar with singles, and raved about how they weren't aware how awesome Bellamy was on guitar, and how blown away they were.

Matt just sees what he wants to, and is too stubborn to listen.

Yeah, I know when I saw HAARP in the cinema before it came out, I was completely blown away. I'd known their music since Absolution and had tried in vain to get tickets a few times since then, but without ever actually having seen what they were capable of on stage. Needless to say, I never listened to any of their songs the same after that, and I know whenever I've introduced anyone to the band since then, I've introduced them exclusively through old live videos, haha!

If they just gave people a chance, I think they'd be surprised. Hell, my mum barely knows anything except Uprising, but she used to hear me listening to Butterflies and Hurricanes and thought it sounded amazing. My partner said she never realised how good Citizen Erased was until she saw me playing it on guitar. I've had other people I've got into them relatively recently, with all kinds of musical tastes, and at least the people I know have always been most impressed by the heavier side of things.

I do wonder if all the promotion that goes with the albums, and talking to the media, and constantly performance singles on TV and stuff skews their perception of their overall fanbase. We've seen that they're perfectly willing to do things differently at festivals or obscure shows like Zepp, even when there's no reason that the proportion of fans feeling one way or another would be any different. It's a complete mystery to me frankly. Thankfully, I've mostly stopped caring too much about it these days, because Zepp just made me too angry when it happened, haha!

Here's how it should go down (worth a daydream...)

Reapers

Psycho

New Born / Bliss / Plug in Baby (< "OOS single which is great live” slot)

Dead Star / Micro Cuts / Assassin (<heavy rarity slot)

The Handler

Dead Inside

Hysteria / MoTP (<older, fairly well-known single slot)

Mercy

Madness

Supermassive Black Hole

<BORING JAM TO GIVE MATT A BREAK>

Citizen Erased / Butterflies and Hurricanes (<i don’t know what to call this slot)

Sunburn / Apocalypse Please / Ruled by Secrecy (<piano slot, just please not FG even though I know it will be)

Time is Running Out

Futurism / Fury / Muscle Museum / Uno / Hyper Music (< really rare rarity slot)

Uprising

Stockholm Syndrome / Knights of Cydonia

The Globalist

Drones

Overture / Take a Bow (<atmospheric (lol) encore opener slot)

Starlight

Knights of Cydonia / Stockholm Syndrome

The casuals get their fill of singles, cheese and new stuff (in red), we get some juicy stuff too. 21 or 22 songs. Done.

Reapers

Psycho

The Handler

Dead Inside

Mercy

Madness

Supermassive Black Hole

Citizen Erased / Butterflies and Hurricanes (<i don’t know what to call this slot)

Sunburn / Apocalypse Please / Ruled by Secrecy (<piano slot, just please not FG even though I know it will be)

Time is Running Out

Uprising

The Globalist

Drones

Starlight

The casuals get their fill of singles, cheese and new stuff (in red), we get some juicy stuff too. 21 or 22 songs. Done.

That looks just about perfect to me.

But the rotations fix the song choices because by doing 5-6 single rotations, that gives them more room than what we've had during the Drones tour where it's maybe one-two songs that aren't staples being played.

When they're not playing every hit they've ever had, that's when the shows they play become interesting. They select good material when they have the space or simply don't care about playing the hits.

They could easily stuff the empty slots with more duller or weaker songs. There's also the number of "unfair" rotation slots like the famed Guiding Light/MK Ultra from 2009-2010.

If they threw in, say, Stockholm Syndrome, Dead Star, and Hyper Music, all of which were singles, and didn't rotate them, I don't think there would be widespread complaints. Some of the better received arena concerts still had all the top hits but with more energetic songs around them.

I do agree they should move things around to give space, but at the same time they already have the space they just choose not to use it.

Reapers

Psycho

The Handler

Dead Inside

Mercy

Madness

Supermassive Black Hole

Time is Running Out

Uprising

The Globalist

Drones

Starlight

Someone show this to Matt :LOL: