Another lurker adding his 2 cents.

Honestly, I think this is totally polarized. On one hand, I think the band know very clearly what the rules of the game are, and they've done a tremendous job at not just becoming one of the biggest bands in the world, but also at mantaining that position. I enjoyed the Drones show I went to, and in good part I can say that because I got good rotations (Bliss, SS, CE). I do see where Matt is coming from, because I remember the huge majority of the crowd didn't react at all, per example, to Citizen. As huge fans of the band I think theres a huge divorce between how we percieve them and the band they are. Back in 2009 we could say it was kind of a turning point, but now they are a pop powerhouse. They became it willingly, and with decent reason to do so (namely the decline of heavy/raw guitar oriented music amongst younger generations).

So even though I get why they do what they do, I do think they could communicate a bit more closely with that portion of hardcore fans that do long for more than the standards. With things like Zepp and Montreux it honestly just feels like they wanna wind down and have a laugh after a huge tour, and I think it is unfair to process that so personally like some fans seem to do. They're just a band, and honestly they are entitled to play what they see fit - its your job as a paying costumer to decide wether you feel it's worth to keep checking them out.

The fact is that the vast majority of the fans going to the big arena tours walk out more than happy with what they got (TiRO, SMBH, Starlight, Uprising, etc.), and the ones wanting the older tracks are in a minority. The first will always be the fans the band will cater to, with good reason.

The band really has changed what they are (no matter it it's for better or worse), and consequently their live shows with it. Honestly I felt like this tour was a really good compromise (I saw 2 gigs from the TR tour and I felt they were a lot more safe set-wise, with the Unsustainable tour being a step in the right direction).I do agree that this tour had too much downtime though. It kills the vibe when you catch yourself realising you're just looking at a video set to a track playing in the P.A. Well, in the end, it's just a band.

Edited by s3ker

To be fair, Butterflies was a single, and a reasonably well known one at that. When people were suggesting only a small handful of the crowd would know certain songs, I'm pretty sure they were referring to stuff like Fury, Futurism, The Groove and Agitated.

Whey-hey and we're off !!! Are you saying all that fuss over 4 deepcuts?

ps ;)

Blegh, think I need to get away from the board for a few days. Nowt to do with moaning about negativity, I've just been on a nice Black Holes hype since Paris and I wanna enjoy it for a bit without being reminded of some of the frustrating stuff that's rearing its head again :chuckle: In the meantime, here's a 'current mood/faves' set (watch me post again, like, tomorrow lmao):

It's just about balance. I don't expect the world from them, I do expect to get a broadly fair setlist. But when they're swapping FG in for CE, Resistance in for Map and Revolt in for Reapers, you end up with lop-sided sets.

They just need a consistent approach to set building. And to make their intentions clear for any random one off shows as it otherwise just looks like a massive fuck you to other shows.

Plus, it puts the kibosh on the whole 'rigid set' thing when they just do this all of a sudden...

Also hoooorraaayyy for people who have never posted before, please never leave <3

It's like the big productions sucks all of their energy, TR arena tour and now the 360 , are a good example :rolleyes:

Regarding the poll, if we have learnt anything from Brexit, it's that people shouldn't be making these kind of important decisions.

B&H played in any 3000 cap venue, to any crowd, will get a reaction like that.

Yes to all of the above. :yesey:

A couple people have messaged me about what my ideas are to help campaign for better setlists. I honestly have no real input because this conversation comes up every single tour and nothing really changes. I think when people complain about the setlists, it's not really about the rarities, but the lack of rock. I don't see people begging for Map of Your Head, or Unintended, but they are asking for harder songs like Futurism, and Assassin. If they would play more rock songs and throw in a couple rarities for every city, there'd be a lot less complaints. Also, certain markets/cities get extremely weak sets with hardly any rock songs and zero rarities, while others get everything and more.

The Psycho Tour was a good attempt in the right direction but it was so limited. I thought the Psycho Tour was a hint about what was to come with the Drones arena tour, but the end result was fairly lackluster in comparison. Sadly, I think fans should adjust their expectations and know that they won't be getting a mind blowing rock set, but a short pop one by now. That's the crowd their singles attract, and that's the trajectory they seem most comfortable with. That's why I haven't gone to nearly as many shows as I used to. If they do decide to do a Psycho Tour 2.0 with slightly bigger venues and more locations, then I might hop on for more shows.

It was just a joke, wasn't it?

And yeah, it's not speculating, there's sources.

I just don't like in general celebrities getting into politics, tbh.

Runs the risk of putting off fans who are into them.

They're typically so divorced from the realities facing the people who will be truly impacted by any political decision that it's just off putting if the way they voted has negative repercussions on people that they are avoiding by having wealth and power.

And this goes both ways, because Hollywood is known to be super liberal, as am I, and I don't find that encouraging... it just associates the political views with the "elite" and out of touch, and can come off condescending no matter which side they're on (*cough* Unnatural Selection *cough*)

I found the increase in faux-political songs/anthems on TR extremely off putting.

I find myself wishing I'd just drifted away from the band then like a normal person. Damn my boyfriend for getting into them at that time. :LOL:

Ah. Humour is harder to get across online. :chuckle:

I think lyrically, Unnatural Selection is written in character rather than reflecting what MB actually thinks. Personally I still like it, even if my main quibble with it was less the lyrics, and more the main riff's similarity to New Born. Even if that riff was a belter live.

Lyrically, Matt has always had dabbles in politics, although it became more full-on around the time Absolution was written and has remained somewhere there since. I think its part of what drew me in - to hear something different to the usual lyrical stories, and a fair bit of the stuff behind it is interesting. Or at least it was to 15 year old me. :chuckle: But I don't have to agree on everything, in fairness - you can't agree with everyone all the time, after all.

I don't mind some talking about it, but I think some celebs do leave themselves a bit open when it comes to politics though. I mean, look at Bono - he is a very politically minded individual and often gets it back at him. Although granted, the tax hypocrisy and involvement in vulture capitalism doesn't help.

what the fuck did I miss

Everything.

:LOL::LOL:

To be fair, Butterflies was a single, and a reasonably well known one at that. When people were suggesting only a small handful of the crowd would know certain songs, I'm pretty sure they were referring to stuff like Fury, Futurism, The Groove and Agitated.

Charted at 14 in the UK in 2004, which is only 1 below Starlight, and higher than Map of the Problematique, which is similarly well liked on here but gets played more.

Edited by forevermusic

I feel the people who are raging they didn't get Futurism and Fury, but got SS, CE, Bliss, TaB, etc are a bit out of line.

I absolutely agree that some of those songs are way too obscure for arena gigs.

And again, I've seen so,so many people pushing that petition who got a good arena set list, and were even at the Psycho Tour.

A lot of the same people who insulted US fans this tour calling the entitled.

So I really can't get behind it.

Also again, the US was asking simply to get what everyone else got, including Mexico and Canada BETWEEN our dates.

Less actually, as we just wanted one song and Europe typically got more.

But Matt drew a line through major fan favorites like Bliss and CE for us, and refused.

If you say more Europeans know Futurism than Amercans know CE, you're making it up to try and prove a point.

And big commercial band or not, one song wouldn't have killed them.

Especially when it was given to us and then taken away.

It felt petty. I don't know if I want to "accept" that.

Now, if everyone at every arena gets the same crappy set, then yes. :chuckle:

A lot of the same people who insulted US fans this tour calling the entitled.

Wasn't it mostly the other way around? I mostly saw US fans calling European fans entitled for having petitions and asking for songs when the US got even less.

Butterflies is hands down one of their top 5 live songs. Is absolutely immense in person.

overwhelmingly... to the point where I might've screamed 'shut the fuck up' at people talkin through the piano solo... oops

Wasn't it mostly the other way around? I mostly saw US fans calling European fans entitled for having petitions and asking for songs when the US got even less.

That was completely a reaction to not only us getting consistently bad sets, but came after a wall of "US crowds suck" "you're not entitled to the same sets" from the other side.

Many European fans have always been elitist and nasty to us. (On average.)

Of course it was going to sit bad after that when Europe still wasn't happy with the sets we tried to beg for.

It was barely after the first gig people were being abusive about the "shitty" US crowds (and later willfully ignoring videos posted showing French, Canadian and UK crowds of the same caliber,) and talking about how the "real" tour would start in Europe.

I was pretty excited when the first French gig got a US set, but that tour quickly got way better, whereas ours' hit an ugly wall in Oakland.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

And the same % at that festival knew them as everywhere else, as it wasn't some magical super special fans only gig. Just a regular one.

Well it kinda was. It sold out in 3 minutes and it's 3.5k capacity. I can't see many casual fans buying tickets for that

Well it kinda was. It sold out in 3 minutes and it's 3.5k capacity. I can't see many casual fans buying tickets for that

Why wouldn't "casual" fans be buying general sale Muse tickets...?

I don't see why the capacity would be a turn off. And they had enough interest to get two arena shows, didn't they?

overwhelmingly... to the point where I might've screamed 'shut the fuck up' at people talkin through the piano solo... oops

I hate people talking through gigs AT ALL so fuck those people anyway but that's one of the best bits of many Muse tracks, why the eff wouldn't you listen to it?

(And no matter how many times I've seen one particular song, even the ones I'm bored of, I don't talk through them. If I'm that fed up it's a perfect gap for a pee break anyway.)

Didn't Matt tell some fans he'd play Fury for them in Norway, or Finland or something at the start of the tour...?

Someone needs to get that man a globe.

There seems to be a bit of a geographical delay on his promises. Perhaps there's a mathematic model that can predict when and where a promised song will actually be played. It may actually predict rarity shows as well. There's a system to this. It's all hidden in plain sight, we just have to crack the code.

How does that geographical delay apply to entire countries tours...?

Does that mean they'll get to Australia in 2 years, or the tour will end up in the middle of the ocean?

No "We're not droplets in the ocean" ;)

Not heard that one in ages. Does US count as a rarity? Or is it despised? I mean Unnatural Selection, not the US