ey yo welcome buddy <3

more peeps are always welcome

We don't need to choose but it'd be an extra sign of the band really caring and a nice element of customisation/interaction. The logistics of the poll(s) shouldn't be too hard to work out so I don't see why not. Plus, it could be a way of introducing some other (doable) oldies into the mix that the band might not have thought about otherwise or known the demand for.

This isn't even anywhere near being a realised idea in the back of Matt's mind yet and my brain is already torturing itself with having one vote and choosing between Invin, COD, Hoodoo and Easily :LOL: (assuming any of those would even be included)

I like the idea... but how do you avoid the lowest common denominator songs? A few years ago (2012 roughly) QOTSA had a fan setlist poll to choose 10 songs for their Glasto headline spot (they were on the 'Other' stage). Setlist was everything I wanted, bar one song, but the chosen songs were pretty much the staples they'd played the other times I've seen them (plus the relevant new album stuff).

I'd much rather the band pick the songs, assuming they don't fuck it up. Otherwise it'll just be Citizen Erased being voted for for every gig, and while Citizen is a fucking good song, and better live than most of what they actually play, they have so, so many better ones.

What they should do is bring back dealer's choice from 04-05 where certain nights, someone in the band got to pick a song to play completely at random. Get the crew involved in it too. Some of them are total fanboys.

I like the idea... but how do you avoid the lowest common denominator songs?

You mean stuff like Knights, Hysteria, TIRO, Uprising and Supermassive? Just don't include them, like other people said. Simples.

If needs be, to avoid any inevitable complaining/confusion from casuals, add a disclaimer at the top saying "yo we play those songs all the time, that's not what this is for".

You mean stuff like Knights, Hysteria, TIRO, Uprising and Supermassive? Just don't include them, like other people said. Simples.

If needs be, to avoid any inevitable complaining/confusion from casuals, add a disclaimer at the top saying "yo we play those songs all the time, that's not what this is for".

it needs to actually say "yo"

cant wait for something to happen like with nin a few years ago. In muse terms it went like this

"starts playing hyper chondriac music"

guy in crowd: PLAY SMBH

*HCM continues*

PLAY SMBH

Matt: yeah i fucking heard you the first time yknow what right smbh *smashes guitar*

*starts time is running out"

Is CE such a huge fan favourite anymore? I'm not even sure it would win in a "hardcore poll" on this forum these days.

Hmm Jobby do you have the results from last year? It was quite high up on the one i made 2 years ago, definitely top 5 I think.

after visiting australia (and maybe a few more asian gigs), maybe they should just do a four-to-five month worldwide tour sometime in the early-to-middle part of 2017 where they specifically announce ahead of time that they'll be doing small-scale gigs (no more than 5,000-ish peeps), whereby a large chunk of the material will be stuff not heard quite so much these days.

a handful of staples, ofc...and a wide swath of doo-doo (the good kind) from yesteryear. minimal production.

do a few stadium gigs next summer.

then, go away until late 2018 for the debut of, perhaps, another album.

Could put up an online poll with a list of like 10 songs they have rehearsed that get updated from time to time. Have concert goers vote and then the top 3 get played at the gig or something. But like with a system that works better than when they tried that with The Resistance stadium tour haha.

This belongs in the perfect setlist thread, but what would you think of a tour structured like this where the opener starts earlier and there's two 1hr10-20 minute Muse sets with a 15-20 minute break between?

I feel there's enough to keep the fans going through the first half and there's enough recognizable songs to keep the casuals going through the second half. Enough rotations to keep 5-6 nighters going as well.

[Drill Sergeant]

1.)Psycho

2.)Map of the Problematique/Interlude+Hysteria

3.)Dead Inside

4.)Bliss/Plug in Baby

5.)SMBH

6.)USoE/AP/Sunburn

7.)UD/Madness

8.)CE/B&H/City of Delusion

9.)TiRO/Blackout

10.)Revolt/Defector

11.)Starlight

12.)Lies/Sign o the Times/Can't Take My Eyes Off You/Feeling Good

13.)The Globalist/Exogenesis 1/2/3 together

[Drones]

*15-20 minute break*

[What's He Building in There with silouettes on curtains]

1.)Reapers

2.)Hyper Music/Micro Cuts/Dead Star

3.)Futurism/Fury/Glorious

4.)The Handler

5.)Muscle Museum/Uno

6.)Agitated/Ashamed/Spiral Static

7.)Endlessly/Falling Down/Megalomania

8.)Stockholm Syndrome/New Born/Unnatural Selection

9.)Assassin/The Small Print/MK Ultra

10.)Uprising/Resistance

11.)Mercy (with confetti)

12.)Knights/Survival/Take a Bow

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Hmm Jobby do you have the results from last year? It was quite high up on the one i made 2 years ago, definitely top 5 I think.

Don't know if it's this you're talking about, but I have saved this one. It was made in reference to the possible 20th anniversary after the Zepp gig and as I remember it, each person voted for the two songs they wanted to hear the most with all the big hits not being an option.

Results were like this:

Citizen Erased 522

Fury 477

Showbiz 470

Muscle Museum 437

Dead Star 414

Bliss 329

Butterflies & Hurricanes 313

Assassin 310

Glorious 309

The Small Print 285

ey yo welcome buddy <3

more peeps are always welcome

We don't need to choose but it'd be an extra sign of the band really caring and a nice element of customisation/interaction. The logistics of the poll(s) shouldn't be too hard to work out so I don't see why not. Plus, it could be a way of introducing some other (doable) oldies into the mix that the band might not have thought about otherwise or known the demand for.

This isn't even anywhere near being a realised idea in the back of Matt's mind yet and my brain is already torturing itself with having one vote and choosing between Invin, COD, Hoodoo and Easily :LOL: (assuming any of those would even be included)

Of course it would be exciting! It won't happen, but in the case I'd vote without checking the results, just to preserve the surprise effect.

I agree, it isn't such a difficult thing to realize: just exclude the staples and songs that Muse themselves don't want to play (e.g. Showbiz or Glorious for Matt) from the poll. Easy.

Just found 'em. Didn't include CE or Bliss 'cause they were already in rotation iirc and it was for stuff that wasn't in the roster at all but the top ten were:

Showbiz (89)

Assassin (68)

Muscle Museum (63)

Butterflies & Hurricanes (54)

Sing For Absolution (51)

The Small Print (40)

Space Dementia (33)

MK Ultra (30)

City Of Delusion (30)

Fury (26)

Depends how many people a poll's open to I s'pose but, if CE was on there, I reckon it'd at least be in the top four. Dead Star, Futurism and Micro Cuts were surprisingly low at 12th, 16th and 19th though so who knows.

So, joining the conversation too! I'll be unpopular: I don't think we really need polls to request songs for gigs. I mean, Muse know we like rarities/oldies/etc in general, and I think they can fairly choose some of those on their own. Does it really matter if they play The Groove and not Hyper Music, or Agitated and not Yes Please? I don't think so.

The point is that they'd do better playing some rarities for each gig (but literally each gig) to please the hardcore fans. We don't need to choose which ones, I think.

Of course they know what we want to hear.

We're only talking about that because Matt said he'd like to do it, but doesn't know how.

I'm sure he was just being placating, like with the requests this tour, and that promised small gig in France with Showbiz.

An idea I came up with recently that I think would work pretty well would be to do voting in 2 stages.

Stage 1 (when the tour is announced): Fans pick 10 songs, say, from the band's entire discography, including the hits. The top 10 songs then become the staple songs for the tour. The band reveal which songs were chosen.

Stage 2 (a bit later): Fans with tickets to specific gigs are then allowed to pick 5 songs for each of the gig(s) they are attending, from the remaining pool of songs (minus the 10 staples). Then the top 5 voted songs for each gig get added to the setlist of that gig. The band can then fill in the rest of the setlist as they please.

This system would get rid of the worry of fans just voting for songs like Knights, Uprising etc etc as those songs would probably get 'voted out' in the first stage allowing for more deep cuts in the second stage. It also means the 'staples' actually somewhat reflect what the fans want to hear, not just the songs that arbitrarily 'have' to be played at every gig.

Don't know if it's this you're talking about, but I have saved this one. It was made in reference to the possible 20th anniversary after the Zepp gig and as I remember it, each person voted for the two songs they wanted to hear the most with all the big hits not being an option.

Results were like this:

Citizen Erased 522

Fury 477

Showbiz 470

Muscle Museum 437

Dead Star 414

Bliss 329

Butterflies & Hurricanes 313

Assassin 310

Glorious 309

The Small Print 285

Ah yeah that's the one I made and I was going to give the results to Matt with a letter explaining everything when he was supposed to visit my university. Unfortunately that never happened because the organisers messed up.

Tbf that was late 2013 when everyone was still on the Dead Star hype train. I think most people got it out of their systems since.

Why would a guy who wrote a song titled "The Globalist" vote stay? I don't know how Matt voted but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to vote leave if he were to vote at all consider he posted an article about how the Brexit vote was a total joke.

It is ignorant snobbery of the worst kind to assume that someone who disagrees with your assessment of a political issue is some sort of uneducated cretin. You're talking about half of the country, many of whom are probably your friends/family/associates.