Haha now thinking of that gig a while ago where they whipped out dead star and they stopped at the end and Matt was totally ready to riff on :D

They just seem to stick to the standards because they think the crowd want that. But surely people would rather see enthusiasm like that from the band.

Haha now thinking of that gig a while ago where they whipped out dead star and they stopped at the end and Matt was totally ready to riff on :D

They just seem to stick to the standards because they think the crowd want that. But surely people would rather see enthusiasm like that from the band.

They are more relaxed at a small gig like this for sure. Less downside if they fluff up than when there's 20,000 at the London O2 and the national press reporting?

btw so far as I could tell from where I was Matt didn't do 'The Thing' in the intro to Uprising.:LOL:

They are more relaxed at a small gig like this for sure. Less downside if they fluff up than when there's 20,000 at the London O2 and the national press reporting?

btw so far as I could tell from where I was Matt didn't do 'The Thing' in the intro to Uprising.:LOL:

Definitely. And lol at them being worried at fluffing things , as if anyone cares

:LOL: In Montreux or Paris? :LOL:

Think you're referring to the War Child 2013 gig in London? The board imploded when they played Dead Star that night.

Definitely. And lol at them being worried at fluffing things , as if anyone cares

:LOL: In Montreux or Paris? :LOL:

Montreux, don't hate me. :$

No I don't think we care if they fluff things but I think they might, at a big gig anyway.

re 'The Thing' each time I saw it, it looked like a nervous awkward thing to me. A bit like a little boy who holds his willy for comfort. In the small gig in Montreux he didn't do it, (I don't think) - he wasn't giving off that awkward vibe.

I was looking through the videos of the old Kaisaniemi, Helsinki gig from 2010, and I was pretty shocked to see the difference in energy compared to the two gigs I saw of the Drones tour. I mean yeah, the Helsinki gig felt really special then too (even though it the setlist was not out of this world and they played only 1,5h), but even the nostalgia factor thrown out, the vibe was still noticeably different.

re 'The Thing' each time I saw it, it looked like a nervous awkward thing to me. A bit like a little boy who holds his willy for comfort. In the small gig in Montreux he didn't do it, (I don't think) - he wasn't giving off that awkward vibe.

Amazing, that's exactly it. :LOL:

Can someone remind me, what was actually said about US fans?

The story on here (Q&A thread) was that Glenn told the super fans that stuff like CE and Bliss were dropped immediately because the band hates it when 100% of the crowd doesn't sing along, and all US fans were just there to hear "fucking Madness" any ways.

Full disclosure, another fan said the person here was full of shit and lying for attention, but refused to say what was actually said.

The first fans story matches what Matt said on Twitter (and the songs being removed.)

Matt made a crack about US fans being unenthusiastic in an interview in Feb, and giggled about it.

In an unreleased (but totally verified) interview, Matt said his favorite part of the US tours was "when they're over."

So I'm really less mad about the set lists, than this guy disrespecting his paying fans.

The set lists are are product of the poor attitude.

It's just about balance. I don't expect the world from them, I do expect to get a broadly fair setlist. But when they're swapping FG in for CE, Resistance in for Map and Revolt in for Reapers, you end up with lop-sided sets.

They just need a consistent approach to set building. And to make their intentions clear for any random one off shows as it otherwise just looks like a massive fuck you to other shows.

Plus, it puts the kibosh on the whole 'rigid set' thing when they just do this all of a sudden...

Exactly this. Rotations like UD/Take a Bow on this tour and Guiding Light/MK Ultra were always really odd rotation choices. Those sort of rotations can drastically change the vibe of the gig. Imo the most fair rotation they ever did was Map/Bliss last tour. New Born/SS was pretty good too, providing NB was at a quicker tempo.

It's like the big productions sucks all of their energy, TR arena tour and now the 360 , are a good example :rolleyes:

I didn't really see any problems with TR energy, except obviously on the pillars so he didn't fall to his death.

Rest of the gig was good.

Was it the stage? Or are they just tailoring the energy levels to the same standards of the set lists, now? Only 1% of people care, so why bother? :(

The fact is if they played a balanced set and looked they were enjoying themselves a tiny bit, those people would respond a hell of a lot better.

I don't see why they would worry about flubbing up in arena. If they believe the fans don't know the songs, they won't notice anyway. Hardcore fans hang on every line and note and post hilarious videos to YT of Fuckups, right? :chuckle:

The idea that the small gigs have a better fan mix is still highly flawed.

And I think we made up the Lolla rumor.

It's just likely either that or nothing because it's disgustingly unlikely they'll do a small venue tour here.

A festival or two wouldn't make sense with "tour was too short" really, but that probably makes it more likely.

They clearly haven't discussed anything when Matt is saying new music and gigs next year and Chris is saying they'll take a longer break than normal starting after this tour.

That all sounds a lot like second hand information though.

The first one was supposedly said by Glenn. You could ask the original poster, I guess.

Second one is on video.

Third one I heard the recording personally in addition to reading the proposed transcripts. No video, but pics of the interview, and if falsified (doubtful with this person) it was a spot on Matt impersonation, from a US southerner, including the laugh.

Show last night had three songs I'd love to hear for the first time (Futurism, Assassin, Butterflies) and a couple I'd love to hear again (Micro Cuts, mainly).

Annoys me how I had at least 2 shows full of duds this year and then they go to do something like this, but eh.

Will keep my eye out for future dates in clubs etc cos that seems to be the best way to get these kind of rares.

Meh, I don't know, it's not like the crowds have ever sung along to anything else than Starlight, PIB, TiRO, Uprising and KoC.

That's what's confusing, really. Matt seems to just be seeing what he wants at these gigs.

I refuse to believe everyone or even half the place sung along to stuff like Fury and Hyper Music whether it was the Zepp, Jazz Fest or even the Psycho Tour.

The US crowds were still, but the singing along was fabulous at my two during everything but the Drones songs, even Map. I couldn't hear the band at all at one of them.

Was it that different for the Drones songs in Europe?

And if he's upset at crowds that don't know the music, what is he doing about it?

The bands promotion is abyssmal for the venue sizes they play.

Banking off past glory gets you 99% of the crowd not knowing the material.

I don't see why they would worry about flubbing up in arena. If they believe the fans don't know the songs, they won't notice anyway. Hardcore fans hang on every line and note and post hilarious videos to YT of Fuckups, right? :chuckle:

Because they're human. Who wants to fuck-up in front of 20,000 people and Press?

Because they're human. Who wants to fuck-up in front of 20,000 people and Press?

My point was simply that doesn't jive with his belief that no one at all knows the songs.

They literally wouldn't notice.

It's far more likely he's oversensitive about getting a big reaction than about flubbing up, from his reasoning. He basically said exactly that.

My point was simply that doesn't jive with his belief that no one at all knows the songs.

They literally wouldn't notice.

It's far more likely he's oversensitive about getting a big reaction than about flubbing up, from his reasoning. He basically said exactly that.

Hmm the first part of what you say is very all or nothing.

And 'wanting a big reaction' and 'not wanting to fuck-up in front of 20,000 people and Press'

are not mutually exclusive.

Hmm the first part of what you say is very all or nothing.

And 'wanting a big reaction' and 'not wanting to fuck-up in front of 20,000 people and Press'

are not mutually exclusive.

They're not, but I'm just thinking we're putting words in his mouth, when he clearly stated why he doesn't play the songs, is all

It sounds more comforting to think that he's nervous, which is one reason I worry about letting myself believe it. If that makes sense.

And weren't Matt's statements equally as black and white?

He literally stated that 99% of the crowd was unfamiliar enough with the songs to not enjoy them. Seems logical to believe they wouldn't know them enough to know if Matt flubbed.

Half decent fan made video for the full Montreux gig

Crowd seems decent at the front at least. Psycho went off.

is that really the full show? 80 minutes, 16 songs, with 7 albums worth of music?

is it a joke or what? what was the ticket price? it's Switzerland, so it must have been bloody expensive

FYI, last night I went to see Springsteen at San Siro stadium in Milan: 3 hours and 45 minutes with no breaks, 36 songs. the man will turn 67 in a couple of months

They're not, but I'm just thinking we're putting words in his mouth, when he clearly stated why he doesn't play the songs, is all

It sounds more comforting to think that he's nervous, which is one reason I worry about letting myself believe it. If that makes sense.

And weren't Matt's statements equally as black and white?

He literally stated that 99% of the crowd was unfamiliar enough with the songs to not enjoy them. Seems logical to believe they wouldn't know them enough to know if Matt flubbed.

Yes and yes :)

But blokes don't usually admit to being nervous or anxious. Even when they obviously are!

And 'no-one' and 'everyone' statements are rarely that simple.

So to give an (extreme) example, I once saw Amy Winehouse at a festival. She sang some stuff I didn't know. But I knew that it was fucked-up. I've got ears!

my point is simply that the stakes are usually higher, in all sorts of ways, in a huge gig than a tiny one.