People would complain about what a bore fest seeing Madness is a lot less, though, if they had a Fury or a Micro Cuts or a BH to look forward to

And they did with the good Europe sets.

They went over a lot better, but lacked consistency.

Even though none of the songs were really rare for Europe.

Letting people who don't listen to the albums ruin even our chance of seeing ONE song (not even a specific song) and then trying to justify that fact to your fans... I guess I just feel that's disrespectful.

It's one fucking song to make people feel appreciated.

But the radio only fans get to take that away.

Every time people complain that Muse play Starlight, TIRO, Madness and the like? No matter what the setlist looks like, people always complain when the hits show up. Even at Zepp people were going "oh here we go" when the encore came.

Anyway, loved the smoke here:

Should probably be able to create some really cool wind effects during energetic parts of the gig. Will look really cool on video.

Yeah fair enough people have suggested they they should rotate them or maybe give them a little rest since they've gotten quite stale live, but I've never seen anyone go "FUCKING STARLIGHT WHY ARE THEY PLAYING SUCH A SHIT SONG JFC" which is what the person I was replying to was claiming.

Pretty much everyone just seems to brush over those songs, like okay there's starlight, whatever, and focuses on the more interesting aspects. It kinda brings me back to what you and I were talking about a few days ago; most of the setlist is fixed and we have to deal with that, so the sets should be judged on their own merits, i.e. what gets rotated in and out.

Yeah fair enough people have suggested they they should rotate them or maybe give them a little rest since they've gotten quite stale live, but I've never seen anyone go "FUCKING STARLIGHT WHY ARE THEY PLAYING SUCH A SHIT SONG JFC" which is what the person I was replying to was claiming.

Pretty much everyone just seems to brush over those songs, like okay there's starlight, whatever, and focuses on the more interesting aspects. It kinda brings me back to what you and I were talking about a few days ago; most of the setlist is fixed and we have to deal with that, so the sets should be judged on their own merits, i.e. what gets rotated in and out.

That literally happens all the time though. Dee is an example. Fabri is another. Of course they don't speak for the entire board though. But I regularly see people spew "uuugh fuck Starlight" every time it is played. I mean it's fair to dislike a song, but it's very clear that some people complain every time Muse play their hits, and it's just like...deal with it or move on.

I like Starlight on album and I don't actively hate it, but it was a bit underwhelming on this tour with Matt going guitar-less. Brighton's version was quite decent, but its better on studio and on the Black Holes era live recordings.

Madness... meh. TIRO I still think is great fun live, despite having seen it 8 times. SMBH was a bit flat at Brighton but on the Drones show was great, and Uprising was also better there, even with Matt's strip-tease guitar-less antics. Plus I'm not gonna hate on Knights of Cydonia live when I still enjoy hearing it.

I think, really, there's a balance - some hits I can live without, some I think are still great fun. And yeah, some I'm not bothered by, and others I'm still for. Maybe rotating it is in, but then I know that's kinda done with the tier 2 hits (Hysteria, Stockholm, Plug in Baby, Bliss, MOTP to some degree) and not the big runs (Uprising, SMBH, Starlight, Madness (even if its never gotten as good a reaction here), TIRO, Knights)

Either that or maybe we're just too saturated in the whole thing.

giphy.gif

You should see the comments on his Instagram vid from last night. Extremely spiky stuff.

That literally happens all the time though. Dee is an example. Fabri is another. Of course they don't speak for the entire board though. But I regularly see people spew "uuugh fuck Starlight" every time it is played. I mean it's fair to dislike a song, but it's very clear that some people complain every time Muse play their hits, and it's just like...deal with it or move on.

I think the main issue there though isn't the fact that they're playing hits and more the fact they're playing poor performances of those hits nowadays. I think there would be far less issue with Starlight if it was played with the energy of that 2006 show everyone raves about, but that's a discussion for another day.

Quite.

And now people are complaining + + + because they played LESS hits and more deepcuts at a small gig.

How very fucking dare they?

I think the main issue there though isn't the fact that they're playing hits and more the fact they're playing poor performances of those hits nowadays. I think there would be far less issue with Starlight if it was played with the energy of that 2006 show everyone raves about, but that's a discussion for another day.
Definitely. I think Muse lack energy overall these days, and watching them has become quite a drag for me. Which is why I won't go see them :awesome: (Unless it's a festival I'm attending, or they literally promise something special in Sweden)

Quite.

And now people are complaining + + + because they played LESS hits and more deepcuts at a small gig.

You're not so stupid that you think they simply complain because Muse played a great set. Come on now, don't try to simplify the issue just so you can make the other side look stupid.

Quite.

That's not what people have an issue with at all. They have an issue with the fact they kept them all for a single gig, instead of giving one or two to the other gigs across the tour.

Matt can do a "crowd sings all of Starlight" bit, if he wants, as long as I get something akin to Bliss and CE.

Or even one Fury caliber song.

I've never advocated for dropping those hits. It would be stupid.

But the band got petty and actually dropped a song instead of doing a fan fav like CE.

There's no way to defend that.

Uhm what? His explanation was that he probably couldn't sing it anymore, which was the point you yourself were making. But yeah, keep on acting like a child.

Did he said that!!!!....did he say it before I said it or did he say it after I said it:LOL:

Nah I just don't like Starlight the way it's been played in the last 7 years :)

My recent point about hits was disagreeing with someone calling a 15 songs set without rarities a "great set".

I don't mind the hits when they're not taking up literally every single song on the set outside of whatever latest album they're touring (which consists of many hits as well)

After this tour...

Madness should be rotated with Dead Inside

Resistance should be rotated with Uprising

Starlight should be rotated with Mercy

Hysteria should be rotated with TiRO (preferably TiRO can fuck off entirely) and SMBH

Are fans entitled to hear every single hit they've ever had? Personally, I don't think so.

Especially considering the fact that these songs have generally been played every night since they've come out. You can see the problem where Dead Inside/Resistance/UD/Starlight/Mercy/SMBH/Hysteria/TiRO/Plug In Baby/Uprising/Knights of Cydonia are played (this was a common thing in the US).

That's 11 songs. That leaves 6 other songs and that's not counting Psycho/Reapers (assuming it wasn't dropped for Revolt)/The Globalist/The Handler... Leaving two song left, which ended up being Revolt and Feeling Good. This is not an isolated incident, swap out FG with USoE/Apocalypse Please and put Map of the Problematique in there replacing Hysteria some nights and you generally have the entirety of the US tour (assuming you weren't one of the unlucky bastards that did the shows slightly before/after Canada where they started playing 16 songs, went up to Canada, immediately jumped up to 17 playing CE/Bliss and when they came back down, the set went back down to 16 again until New York and those songs were dropped until the very last show here in DC where they got CE/Map/AP/Reapers)

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Best case scenario for me for this tour would have been

Every gig: Psycho, Reapers, Dead Inside, Mercy, The Handler, The Globalist, Knights

3 of: Uprising, TiRO, PiB, SMBH

1-2 of: Starlight, Madness, UD, Resistance

That's 11 songs and everything they "have" to play. Then rotate in other songs for the remaining slots.

Rotate Defector / Revolt, Take A Bow / Survival, two of Bliss / Hysteria / Map, CE / B&H, Sunburn / AP, Stockholm / New Born. One ultra rarity. Done.

A typical two-night set could then have been

Reapers

Psycho

Bliss

Dead Inside

Isolated System + The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Starlight

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Sunburn

Munich Jam + Madness

Map of the Problematique

[JFK] + Defector

Dead Star

Time is Running Out

Mercy

New Born

--

The Globalist + Drones

--

Knights of Cydonia

Plug in Baby

Survival

Psycho

Reapers

Map of the Problematique

Dead Inside

Isolated System + The Handler

Plug in Baby

Resistance

Citizen Erased

Apocalypse Please

Munich Jam + Undisclosed Desires

Interlude + Hysteria

[JFK] + Revolt

Micro Cuts

Time is Running Out

Mercy

Srockholm Syndrome

Take A Bow

--

The Globalist + Drones

--

Uprising

Knights of Cydonia

Edited by ryanp16

It also wasn't played at every gig on the festival tour and there was a gig on the arena tour it wasn't played at either.

Only because the kitara broke.

Tbf, didn't Madness flop in Europe?

Didn't they tell some fans they hate playing it anyways?

Only the US really needs to be subjected to that one maybe.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Extra thoughts without explanations:

Hardcore fans are a small minority of crowds.

They're also an important minority of crowds.

The hits are going to be played. Muse are a hits band.

If you don't like a large number of known staples their concert might not be for you.

You are not owed a good setlist. That's too arbitrary to compromise.

You are owed a good concert overall. Any band should play every show like it's their last.

Performances, more universally, have been agreed to be too stale.

They don't read the board. Their true interaction has only been a few fan small conversations.

The only setlist that really matters is the one you see yourself.

It's just a band.

Extra thoughts without explanations:

Hardcore fans are a small minority of crowds.

They're also an important minority of crowds.

The hits are going to be played. Muse are a hits band.

If you don't like a large number of known staples their concert might not be for you.

You are not owed a good setlist. That's too arbitrary to compromise.

You are owed a good concert overall. Any band should play every show like it's their last.

Performances, more universally, have been agreed to be too stale.

They don't read the board. Their true interaction has only been a few fan small conversations.

The only setlist that really matters is the one you see yourself.

It's just a band.

I think this is the point that needs highlighting the most!

I mean, we're leading pretty comfortable lives if our biggest complaint is a band we like aren't doing as well as we think they did a few years ago.

Like I said, I get disappointment if you don't see them often but if you're the sort of person I've seen on Twitter and Instagram/etc who can clearly afford to follow them around everywhere and see them in several European countries then you're pretty well off and if that's such a waste of money then...stop doing it?