oh?

"I’ve always felt like two hours is the max for me. Both viewing and playing." from my question in the Q&A ting.

Doesn't specify 'this tour' exactly but they've referred to the Drones shows as being 2 hours just about every time length has been brought up tmk. Even if that's a bit off, that answer makes it seem like he feels he couldn't do much more than they have been in any case. Weird considering the Unsustainable shows were, what, 20-30 minutes longer?

I doubt they actually perform for much more than ~80/120 in a two hour set which is utterly ridiculous, especially considering the ticket prices are just going up and they seem to be supplying less actual content. That's a big part of why I won't be seeing Muse again, at least not until they start giving value for money.

He also said it way back in that interview where Matt admitted to being out of shape.

I thought it was a poor excuse back then, and I still do, since they're not exactly PLAYING two hours in the first place.

I think it's fair to wonder why they would play 18 songs at some festivals, and 15 at others, if they're both headlining slots.

If you know you're given a shorter slot, it's really time to fucking cut it out with the playback crap and diddling around between songs.

Although, tbh, I'm retroactively surprised they were playing that many songs at festivals in the first place, since that's what they were playing on the actual tour.

I think it's fair to wonder why they would play 18 songs at some festivals, and 15 at others, if they're both headlining slots.

Muse Logic. Rock Werchter was also slightly longer than the other gigs of the last festival leg; 18 full songs plus the jam. In contrast, most others had 16, Warsaw had 15 and Download had 17.

Edit: I'd really love to know what was going through Matt's head before RW; why it was longer and why it got the set that it did.

Edited by ryanp16

A 15-song setlist (by a band with 7 albums) that includes Starlight, Madness and Mercy?

I guess most fans just lowered their standards?

OK point taken. There's plenty to complain about with it so I guess my expectations are lowered. Difficult for me not to considering how long this has been going. My enthusiasm was really because of the run from psycho to handler to be honest.

I don't really have a problem with their song choices (although they totally chickened out on going back to rock as soon as they remembered that they've built an audience based on pop singles), but the number of playback tracks, and number of tracks overall is quite shit.

But honestly, we can't realistically expect Muse to drop all their pop songs. They're not that kind of band. What we can hope for is a good mix of songs to please different people, and that's exactly what they're doing.

But honestly, we can't realistically expect Muse to drop all their pop songs. They're not that kind of band. What we can hope for is a good mix of songs to please different people, and that's exactly what they're doing.

Is it? I can probably count on two hands the number of shows of the Drones era which had an optimal range of songs to please everyone. What's also incredibly important, and a lot of other people don't seem to think this, is the actual placing of the songs. If they play rarities or fan favourites it's completely pointless sticking them all together, at least for me.

Take last nights show for example, The first 6 songs I'm down with, but after that it's time for me to go to sleep. It would've been so much better to but Stockholm later on, like after Uprising or something.

If I'm at a gig and I get at huge run of songs I've either heard a million times or ones I'm not fond of, it's going to really put a downer on me. It's the same with if they throw 2-3 rarities together, that's great while it lasts but I'm probably in for a huge borefest afterwards. At least if they're spread out and you get something like Dead Star the elation you experience will flow into the next song and you'll enjoy that more too.

The two best gigs I was at got it right. Rock Werchter; Micro Cuts, Uno, Citizen, AP, with two-three songs between them (except that latter), Dublin this year, Bliss, CE, Map, Take A Bow. Again all evenly spaced, which made the songs I don't care for in between more enjoyable. This is in stark contrast to the following night, where there were no pick-me-ups.

tl;dr Song placement is just as important as the songs they choose to play.

Ryan's right about one thing, which is the rock and older songs were clustered together - all at certain gigs.

There seemed to be (in Europe) one rotation that could expect a good mix of Bliss, Map, CE, TaB, SS abd another that was only slightly better than a US set. They were wildly uneven, and if your area had one gig, your odds were a bit poor.

It doesnt inspire me with confidence that Muse found, or cares about, that balance.

That's your Setlist Muse Board Overlord POV though, 99% of people don't care too much about the song order.

fml, I can't change this to my custom title because it's two characters too long. :(

What about

setlist .mu overlord

Now if only I could use that font.

The words "fuck" and "off" come to mind.