Yeah Citizen gets a little too much hype. It's a really good live song though, and better than the vast majority of the set, they just have better live songs. Micro Cuts is a million times better live.

It sounded very good, crowd reacted well to it, Matt played the solo right in front of us and the piano ending was beautiful. Can imagine MC being immense yes, but I already think songs like Psycho, Plug In Baby, Map and Stockholm are better live songs than CE.

Hm.

Bellamy is a thinker

Well, yes, that's true...

well read

I... I don't know if...

intelligent and curious.

I can agree with this. :) But then...

He's intense and has a political viewpoint.

He really is, and he really has, regarding his own musical output? Or is it just grotesque irony, due the "silly" tone of Drones lyrics? Those are the crucial questions.

I don't think that he's insincere about it either.

Well, I admit we should give him the benefit of doubt, but we also have to remember he and his companions have recently claimed many times that their over-the-top political chanting is not to be considered overtly serious all the time. They're self aware about having a sympathy for ridiculousness and the grotesque, for the sake of the show, like what happens in a fictional story.

Othermore, they're now rich and wealthy; that could suffice in making you think that their blatant onslaught against filthy rich bankers or politics overbearing common people with a million-dollar scenic apparatus is quite contraddictory to be honest.

That said, I think the real meaning of their music now is to unleash your creativity and find your own path to be unique and not culturally controlled or brainwashed by what could be damaging to your own human side in general.

Wow, nice setlist there Copenhagen!

But, without a doubt one the best Muse gigs I've seen! It's hard to say it was the best when Plug In Baby wasn't played, so I'll put it on par with Berlin 2013. Wasn't expecting Bliss again but sounded great as always, finally got to hear Citizen (even though it did dissapoint me a little because of the fan hype), Stockholm was absolutely mega and the outro jams were insane, and I think Take a Bow sounded much better than in London. Consider myself very lucky with that set.

Yay, Berlin 2013 :D. About CE: I guess that's always the danger of hype, getting disappointed a bit. Didn't happen to me, but I suppose it's just down to personal preferences in the end.

Exited going again tonight having a little hope for Assassin. I saw three groups of people in the crowd holding up signs for it and they definitely saw ours. We are also planning on singing happy birthday to Matt after Starlight. :happy:

Uh, that actually sounds like you guys might really have a chance for Assassin tonight, good luck!

Yeah Citizen gets a little too much hype. It's a really good live song though, and better than the vast majority of the set, they just have better live songs. Micro Cuts is a million times better live.

Both on-par for me. God I hope to hear Micro Cuts again someday. Werchter's still a dream.

With the Psycho Tour, I guess what I meant is, sure they did a good job preventing scalpers, but with the fan pre-sale happening suddenly and with no announcement, that really prevented fans from getting their hands on those tickets unless they happened to be in the right place at the right time.

But then they did go on to do a regular, general sale, didn't they? And that could easily have been full of people thinking "oh, I hear Muse is awesome!" and not appreciating the kind of setlist they got.

We did see people on social media, in the UK, complaining that they didn't get Starlight, or Madness, or didn't know many of the songs.

I found the whole thing very confusing.

Maybe the sale wasn't optimal, but I still believe that tour was absolutely meant "for us".

Because not all Americans go to the same concerts. Shows in general have gotten softer. Bands I saw long ago have weaker crowds today. That doesn't mean I don't leave from some concerts sweat drenched and beat.

When I saw Muse in 2010 people were pushing, jumping, and the usual. Not as much as Europe, but still enough to what you'd expect. I was shoved around the floor quite a bit. New Born and MK Ultra got the biggest reactions. The queue was basically all the black dressed alternative kids who probably liked nu-metal at some point in their lives. This was before Madness, Uprising was still rising in popularity, and all they really had was Twilight.

2015 there were small patches of jumping people, and that was it. The barrier was dead. I left the concert completely energized because I spent almost none of it on the floor. That's not a small difference. Their audience really has changed but I'm making the point that it's not an inevitable result of any band that wants to come to the United States.

So in the end both generally and Muse specific, but you say it doesn't have to be that way, at least not as 'quiet' as it seems to be. Thanks!

This might sound really off topic, but can general health also have anything to do with the more "quiet" audiences, as well as the softer shows you've described?

Just thinking, statistics and the likes here as well as watching for yourself at least show kids on average (!) way less fit than previous generations (to the point that quite some can't even sprint for the bus), and many of them just physically can't be active for a song, let alone a whole gig?! May that be similar your side of the pond?

/justathought

Not to mention that Muse don't cater to the rock crowds, so this is becoming very much a crowd with parents and kids and soccer moms. Again a choice Muse made.

I don't go to, like, metal concerts or anything, so I'm speaking of gigs of the most comparable bands I can think of; Breaking Benjamin, AFI, Bush, Nothing But Theives. Obviously smaller gigs (and more rock...) but still really soft crowds.

A more sedate crowd at AFI came off way more weird to me than one at Muse.

And very telling that we don't really have rock bands that command arena attendance.

Well, if they consciously made the choice to invite those crowds rather than just figuring they'll try to promote more poppy songs since the others didn't work there and didn't think about what kind of crowds that would attract, yes. If not, unfortunate results of the choice for poppy songs. Either way, they made the original choice so they have to deal with the outcome.

In case of more general aspects (like I suggested above, general fitness, as an idea), it's not their job to figure that one out, that's personal and public health stuff, then.

I imagine it's not so easy for them - their original fan base is at an age when they're having families so time and money are a lot shorter, they must - if they think about this kind of stuff at all - be wondering how to attract sufficient new fans to keep it going.

The bold bit intrigues me. I'm having a hard time believing it - not as in doubting your words, but wondering why on earth that should be the case.

Though, second thought... why shouldn't a soccer mum (what a phrase btw :LOL: ) go beserk if she likes Muse, and jump and party? I know, it's probably a wording for stuck-up folks who need their make-up perfect midnight to midnight and be perfect in their SUVs all the time, or something...right?

I'm remembering some harder rock gigs I went to, and thinking I don't necessarily need all that for Muse. Though with all the headbanging, there was a good turnover of more or less fresh air going on - at the price of getting hair in your face every now and again :LOL: They didn't actually (on average) jump that much compared to the rock/pop type gigs I've been to - jumping and whisking your hair through the air in a perfect circle is probably a little complicated... :chuckle: BUT they were all moving continually, except further back, where the more sedate people gathered and just stood, nodding their heads.

Exited going again tonight having a little hope for Assassin. I saw three groups of people in the crowd holding up signs for it and they definitely saw ours. We are also planning on singing happy birthday to Matt after Starlight. :happy:

Sounds like you had a great gig, and may have even better to come! Enjoy! :happy:

As feared, due to the low height at the Copenhagen venue, the drones were placed at the end of the runways and only six were used last night. And holy fuck, it must've been about 100 degrees in there! The smell and sight of sweat were outstanding.

But, without a doubt one the best Muse gigs I've seen! It's hard to say it was the best when Plug In Baby wasn't played, so I'll put it on par with Berlin 2013. Wasn't expecting Bliss again but sounded great as always, finally got to hear Citizen (even though it did dissapoint me a little because of the fan hype), Stockholm was absolutely mega and the outro jams were insane, and I think Take a Bow sounded much better than in London. Consider myself very lucky with that set.

All Danish media reviews generally agree in the stage show was one of the most impressive in the history of music, but that it sadly outdid the music and the band most of the time.

They score really low on the sound, but this venue has always been criticised for its conditions to make tolerable sound. However, for once I felt the sound was very good. Everything stood clear in the sound picture and I could feel Dom's kick drum and Chris' bass.

Haha I just saw the banner on my fb - so very cute omg.

Have a great time :happy:

Really hope they announce Aus dates. Think it was June both the last two times that they announced a December tour and with nothing after August it's possible they might be here even before then so they're cutting it rather close.

Hm.

we also have to remember he and his companions have recently claimed many times that their over-the-top political chanting is not to be considered overtly serious all the time. They're self aware about having a sympathy for ridiculousness and the grotesque, for the sake of the show, like what happens in a fictional story.

Yes I know this. And I agree they are self-aware re the overblown nature of it. Fun and entertainment comes into it too! Doesn't stop the theme coming from a genuine political interest; I don't think Bellamy is cynical about it.

Othermore, they're now rich and wealthy; that could suffice in making you think that their blatant onslaught against filthy rich bankers or politics overbearing common people with a million-dollar scenic apparatus is quite contraddictory to be honest.

Yes there is a contradictory element, of course, you are right. Sometimes people with left-wing viewpoints get rich. Many creative people draw inspiration from nasty world events; a few of them get rich. Although tbf the banker-bashing was done at a time when bankers caused hundreds of thousands of people to lose their homes, and caused a world-wide recession. Not something your average rich rock-star has done. And Drones comments on modern warfare. I think even rich people can reflect on that without being contradictory.

Really hope they announce Aus dates. Think it was June both the last two times that they announced a December tour and with nothing after August it's possible they might be here even before then so they're cutting it rather close.

Announcement last time was July, so here's hoping it still happens.

Also I've got a feeling they'll do a pop set tonight for Matt's birthday :rolleyes:

Does it sound good enough to compensate for the rest of the gig, though?

Because, I mean, it looks like he needs to just pack it in after he's done singing it. If he survives.

He really is, and he really has, regarding his own musical output? Or is it just grotesque irony, due the "silly" tone of Drones lyrics? Those are the crucial questions.

Well, I admit we should give him the benefit of doubt, but we also have to remember he and his companions have recently claimed many times that their over-the-top political chanting is not to be considered overtly serious all the time. They're self aware about having a sympathy for ridiculousness and the grotesque, for the sake of the show, like what happens in a fictional story.

That said, I think the real meaning of their music now is to unleash your creativity and find your own path to be unique and not culturally controlled or brainwashed by what could be damaging to your own human side in general.

I still thought it was pretty obvious that he was singing about his personal life with Drones, and just found a metaphor so it wasn't an entire album full of on the nose, immature, emo.

And it just ended up looking like an on the nose, faux political album.

The bold bit intrigues me. I'm having a hard time believing it - not as in doubting your words, but wondering why on earth that should be the case.

Because rock music isn't popular or mainstream anymore here?

Pretty straightforward.

Even our biggest selling rock bands (that aren't the Rolling Stones reunion tour) often play in much smaller venues as it's become more of a niche thing. The ones that still play arenas tend to play short tours.

We couldn't even come up with enough actual "rock" acts to nominate for the Grammy.

"Rock is dead" is a rather old adage here; you can find a lot of good articles and discussion around it, out there.

Rock and it's fans, as well, started to get a really bad image of this sort of immature, oversexualized, "cock rock" sort of thing.

If you go to a real old school "rock" radio station or their website, it's going to be plastered with sports, boobs, and intentionally un-PC articles. 90% of their playlist is music from 10-20 years ago, because they only have like 4 new songs to play.

The demographics have changed... being a "boys club" isn't as good of an idea as it used to be, and they're playing shit from before listeners were born.

Rock didn't "grow up" and the country moved on from it. And it morphed into other genres (which X Ambassadors and all the other Imagine Dragons clones are currently taking a shit on.) But, rock fans call those pop bands. Unfortunately, there's probably some very good bands in the old style still popping up, but it's a terrible environment for them.

It's very hard for a band to even tour unless they already have some level of popularity or money to begin with, which is why you see everyone and their brother getting their song shoved in a movie trailer or cell phone commercial. Modern music doesn't seem to have a problem at all with "selling out" or even view it that way; rock music was always about not being a sell out. That doesn't really even work anymore.

Besides, there doesn't appear to be a lot of demand for a true rock song in a commercial about phoning your grandma.

Even country music has truck commercials, and they're still moving on to more popular genres.

Or, you know, the easy answer: the new saying is "mass appeal is dead."

And it's true; there's just not much of ANY music that makes it to arena levels. Not like before. The entire industry has completely changed.

There's a very good reason Muse pushed themselves as a pop band. And they still absolutely depend on the draw of the stage show to (barely) command arena crowds. My point is that them crying that they can't be an arena rock band after that is a little silly. You get to be an arena pop band... and you can play the exact same songs because it's not like you were ever a hard rock or metal band in the first place! Why are you mad again...?

They don't exactly have too many rockier songs that would "offend" their pop fans. CE is heavy for Muse... but it's not exactly heavy

There's pop influence to most of what they do anyways, and stuff like KoC, and in particular Hysteria, are actually played on the more pop/alternative stations alongside Madness and Starlight.

Even fucking Reapers has a pop chorus.

Just stay away from weird stuff like Micro Cuts, play the big five radio hits, and US fans would have been fine with whatever.

And anyways, again, Micro Cuts would probably eventually kill him.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

I don't even know if I want to try and imagine that.

I just like poking fun at Matt because he looked like he was suffering/going to poop himself during those festivals.

Thought the song actually sounded pretty good, but wasn't worth wrecking his voice for the rest of the set over.

And maybe it kind of takes some of the magic out of it when it looks that hard to do, or something.

Let's see whay Dave Gahan has to say about pop.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/depeche-mode-metallica-pop-songs/

Why do you have to complain about pop/rock/metal/rnb? Muse are Muse this is their music, it's not their fault if we don't like what they produce lately. If you think that their show is overpriced just don't pay. If you think they are lacking of energy don't go. Although I agree in most of the parts that are being said here I can't understand why we have to refer to them as pop/rock or stoner band. Plug in baby is a pop song, TSP is a pop song and Uno is a pop song in their arrangements. It all comes down whether you like 'em or not. I got into them 6 years ago, I went for my first gig last year and my second this year because I wanted. I wanted to spend money,time and energy for this. I used to love placebo, I'm not anymore therefore I don't care if they make a "computer thinks I'm gay" song, I always remember pure morning. I don't ditch about it, I just moved on.

Let's see whay Dave Gahan has to say about pop.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/depeche-mode-metallica-pop-songs/

Why do you have to complain about pop/rock/metal/rnb? Muse are Muse this is their music, it's not their fault if we don't like what they produce lately. If you think that their show is overpriced just don't pay. If you think they are lacking of energy don't go. Although I agree in most of the parts that are being said here I can't understand why we have to refer to them as pop/rock or stoner band. Plug in baby is a pop song, TSP is a pop song and Uno is a pop song in their arrangements. It all comes down whether you like 'em or not. I got into them 6 years ago, I went for my first gig last year and my second this year because I wanted. I wanted to spend money,time and energy for this. I used to love placebo, I'm not anymore therefore I don't care if they make a "computer thinks I'm gay" song, I always remember pure morning. I don't ditch about it, I just moved on.

I was talking about how rock bands aren't as popular anymore... not that I gave two shits if Muse was pop or not. I just asserted that Muse has never been as "rock" as everyone wants to believe in the first place, so yes, complaining about their pop songs is kind of stupid. A lot of fans somehow built them up as this hard rock band, and it's a bit baffling because they never were.

However, there is a prevalent bias towards certain kinds of music (or everything would just be pop, wouldn't it...?) so people gravitate towards the dominant genres, which is why Muse promoted themselves with songs that sounded more like what was on the radio...

The band seems upset about it, not me.

This article actually claims "rock" music is declining, even if you count bands like Coldplay as rock, which is actually interesting. http://www.aux.tv/2014/01/rock-n-roll-is-dead/

I swear to god people have been having reading comprehension problems lately...

And yes, if I'd have known the band was going to be low energy, and act like they couldn't wait to get off the stage, I never would have paid $300 for tickets.

But, oh wait, I didn't get that memo until after tickets were on sale...

I won't buy them again, surely.

That's been talked about to death, too... it only keeps coming back up because apparently people don't read before they comment.

Anyways.

Yeah SP's last season was really well put together. I also like their Book of Mormon musical, which I caught in 2013. I thought it was great. In its first few post-revival years, Family Guy was funny, but its not making a serious point like South Park tries too. Now, its just going "Offensive stuff. Lol." Same with MacFarlane's movies too.

But that's if I want to do a proper art crticity over-interpretation of it. And indeed, I do.

With this, I think there was the idea of themes and an over-arching style in the way it went together, but if it was gonna be like a Wall tour, it needed to have a proper narrative and this is really a bit of stuff being thrown at your eyeballs, with the exception of the visuals in The Globalist. I was hoping for that tbh.

I never felt distant from the band though, or at least no more distant than I do at any other stadium/arena gig. Indeed, there were bits when I was closer to the band or even individual members than at any point in my other Muse big gigs. But it had both moments of being both up close and really far away, and that's even accounting for when I went walkies during it.

Saw the Book of Mormon last month. :love:

Best thing I've seen in ages.

And exactly my point about the Drones setlists; they referred to this as The Wall, it was a concept album, and Matt even said he was making a story out of the gigs.

Really disappointed that didn't become a reality. It would have been relatively easy to do, even with just the songs they've been playing.

Maybe I'll mock one up when I'm not also typing to some tech support guy in bad Spanish... :chuckle:

Some of the visuals just felt displaced and odd without any context, and with the gaps in visuals between songs.

And I agree as well; The Globalist and The Handler, or even just the songs with the drone dances, were what I expected to see throughout the whole gig. How awesome would that have been if it carried through a gig that played a mix of hits and the Drones songs in order?

As is, the tone of the gig was just all over the place.

I didn't care for how much I couldn't see the band; being close a few times didn't make up for it.

I was also in a bad spot. Two of the "corners" of the circle ended up being crummy because even when Matt is in front of you, he tends to lean into his guitar and not really face forward, and once he's not directly in front of you again, you can't see him play. That's a big part of Muse gigs to me, so having him not be facing my direction during every single solo and riff during the gig was depressing.

My boyfriend was screaming in frustration during CE, because they didn't even put up visuals of the front of the band, or Matt playing, during the riffs.

We were going to go for the "good" corner the second night, but they were filled with the superfan barrier warriors that slept outside all day (which confirmed they were in fact "the good spots") and my bf didn't want to deal with that, so we settled for the crappy corner again. :chuckle:

And I think I've made my love of overthinking things clear. :love:

I'd prefer if they simply played the riff afterwards, because I like the Dead Star solo and riff. Feels like I lose as much as I gain when they replace it with that riff.

This.

I'd much rather get a full song and a bit, instead of half a song and a bit of a song glued together.