It's hating to say that I thought all that filler (Isolated System, Drones, Voodoo Child, Munich Jam, JFK, Interlude) and The Globalist were odd choices for a casual festival crowd? :chuckle:

I'm really not bothered, I was just saying it wasn't what I would've done.

People were already bitching about Uprising's lyrics before the gig even started. Always looking for whatever negative thing to say Muse were great in 2001 and now they are shit.

Edited by White Heat

I haven't been here for a while :)

Just wanted to say that, even though the setlist was a bit underwhelming overall, seeing them again felt cathartic to me, at the end of this horrible day. Even shed a tear during Hysteria for some reason. I just wish I understood what Matt was saying... :rolleyes:

Do you mean when he chatted to the crowd? He was only saying 'How are you doing' and introducing Dom and Chris and stuff. He didn't say anything of interest really.

Just wanted to say that, even though the setlist was a bit underwhelming overall, seeing them again felt cathartic to me, at the end of this horrible day. Even shed a tear during Hysteria for some reason. I just wish I understood what Matt was saying... :rolleyes:

People were already bitching about Uprising's lyrics before the gig even started. Always looking for whatever negative thing to say Muse were great in 2001 and now they are shit.
Except most people on the board loved their live gigs in 2012/2013. You literally have no argument when all you need to do is to go to the previous album your to find loads of positivity. People simply haven't liked this tour. Not a shocker that the reaction to most gigs of that your will be negative.

Do you mean when he chatted to the crowd? He was only saying 'How are you doing' and introducing Dom and Chris and stuff. He didn't say anything of interest really.

That'll be it, thanks... I mean I suspected it wasn't too memorable, I was just surprised that I couldn't make out his words, to me he sounded more like a machine gun than a person speaking.

Don't know what to say.

Thought it looked a million times better than the 360 tour, with basically the same setlist (cannot believe they did Globalist! Fucking amazing) - and Matt sounded as good as any of the tour, and better than most.

Essentially exactly what I was talking about; the same damn visuals from the 360 tour but on an endstage screen. Looked fucking great.

Wish this had been the tour I saw; I'd even give up the orbs for it.

And I think we knew Muse's UK crowd was leaning pop for a while now, but people were in denial...

It was going to happen.

Damn shame at the cold fish response to the Drones material, though.

Telegraph music critic said Matt is a fan of "anti-fragile city state theory" and may have voted according to that.

Not sure what that actually means tbh.

The Telegraph article mentioned that Matt referenced some books during the interview, but didn't type out the related discussion.

One of those was Antifragile, by the guy who wrote The Black Swan.

I haven't read the former, but it's about building systems that not only survive chaos and stress, but actually get stronger due to it.

So, I have no idea what that means for Matt's vote.

But, he clearly doesn't want to talk about it in public.

Which I applaud.

Fabri was the only person who said anything remotely negative about Uprising's lyrics iirc.

Also, what Tjet said about positivity (I'd like to add that there was loads of positivity for most of last year as well).

It's not like people need justification to be negative, though I guarantee that most people who are negative could justify their mentality. They're disappointed and on many levels, I'd probably agree with them and their complaints.

I'd be disappointed if I attended Glastonbury because today seemed like a "Hey, we're still around and here's what we've done in the last six years since our last headlining spot", and frankly that's a little disappointing coming from a band that got to where they are by being the best. Especially when T2L tour was such an improvement over The Resistance only to take another nosedive on many levels.

HOWYOODOINOUTTHERE!!!!!!!!!! FANKOOVAIRMUCHGLASTONBREEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!

:happy:

You're just putting words in people's mouths.

There was a discussion on Uprising's lyrics in regard to the Leave vote, and how anthemic protest songs benefit from vague, cheesy lyrics.

Get a grip; not every conversation that's not pure fangasm is negative.

T2L era was hands down my favorite live Muse period. By a mile.

And Drones is my favorite of their albums in a decade.

The 360 stage was a huge detraction from what would have been, with tonight being the proof, a pretty damn great experience without it.

Yes, including the setlist, since it was actually superior to what a lot of us got in the US with Map, PiB and SS (although I did get Map.)

(Has Matt been doing that warbly thing in SS for a while now?)

It's not like people need justification to be negative, though I guarantee that most people who are negative could justify their mentality. They're disappointed and on many levels, I'd probably agree with them and their complaints.

I'd be disappointed if I attended Glastonbury because today seemed like a "Hey, we're still around and here's what we've done in the last six years since our last headlining spot", and frankly that's a little disappointing coming from a band that got to where they are by being the best.

If they did greatest hits those same people would be like: "Even they are ashamed of Drones" or something

I sorta forgot Glastonbury was on and tuned in from the piano part of TG, and was thoroughly underwhelmed and resigned to the fact that maybe I was over Muse, but when I went back and saw SS I was like damn.........they can definitely still bring it. It's so frustrating that there's all the bullshit filler that kills the mood.

Except most people on the board loved their live gigs in 2012/2013. You literally have no argument when all you need to do is to go to the previous album your to find loads of positivity. People simply haven't liked this tour. Not a shocker that the reaction to most gigs of that your will be negative.

The beginning of this tour was shit and it got way better. Now that their setlists are good most nights the problem is they don't have the same energy as before and are past their peak or idk what excuse.

Next tour people will be like "remember when they played Psycho,Reapers and The Handler at the same show? damn what happened to Muse" :LOL:

Edited by White Heat

Serpent, you can't really judge the crowd reactions of a country based on a festival gig though..

You know, I agree with that... but then again looking at the size of the crowd that's there, you'd have to be somewhat dedicated to be close to the stage, I guess was my thought there.

Also, there was an obvious decline in crowd interaction at the London Drones Tour, and although I attribute that to the stage, a lot of reviews also said the "hits" were getting amazing responses.

It's going to happen; the hardcores and older fans always move on.

HOWYOODOINOUTTHERE!!!!!!!!!! FANKOOVAIRMUCHGLASTONBREEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!

:happy:

He is getting more incomprehensible with age, I see.

Matt got a clip up on IG really fast!

I can hear my boyfriend screaming "don't throw that guitar down like that!!!!!!!!" from upstairs. :LOL:

God, I really, really loved that stage set up. :(

Hope it ends up on YT or DIME; would really love to see bits of it again. And my fucking stream died during Handler.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

The beginning of this tour was shit and it got way better. Now that their setlists are good most nights the problem is they don't have the same energy as before and are past their peak or idk what excuse.

Next tour will people will be like "remember when they played Psycho,Reapers and The Handler at the same show? damn what happened to Muse" :LOL:

Is that really the best that you've got? Not even sure if that first paragraph is your opinion or your imitation of the board. How are low energy levels not a fair complaint? And once again, people here loves the second law tour, DURING the tour. So your argument about nostalgia is based on literally nothing but speculation on your part. And anyway, I can say "remember when Muse played B&H, RBS, SS, Bliss, Sunburn and MM in one show?" Because I honestly believe those were better songs. If I'm gonna be nostalgic about this tour, it will be because the next one will be worse. I love The Handler and Reapers, so I don't see why I wouldn't miss them being played in the same show. That still doesn't mean it's better than what I think of it now. It just means things are getting worse and worse (given that your hypothetical actually will happen)

He's the same guy that claims that the tour only sucked in the US because of the crowd.

So, now that people are saying Glasto sucked, everyone MUST be wrong.

When, in reality, the band's energy levels were really a lot lower this entire tour than T2L, whether or not that's a problem for people personally.

I mean, it's on video, and it's factual.

Yes, it was worse some nights (like Philly) but some US gigs (like DC) were actually more high energy than some European ones. It was super random, and probably tied to the band not getting sleep, etc., more than the crowds. They're older; and Matt seems to be staying up until 3am more and more, drinking.

The only real differences were the setlists, which were pretty universally shit in the US (but not Canada, for some reason.)

For me, I wouldn't have minded what I got in Philly so much if it had been this Glasto stage. The center stage made the calmer demeanor of the band a lot more obvious, and the entire performance much less engaging as a whole, especially when their backs were to you.

I felt more engaged and excited watching a choppy Glasto stream than I did in person on the 360.

If we want to correlate this to the setlists... I fucking LOVE Drones (album.) I would rather see those songs than RBS, MM, B&R, (maybe not Bliss...) but the stage and weird energy/vibe of the gig took away from that experience, imo, and made me a lot more depressed about the tour than I thought I'd be, in part because I'll never have the chance to see those songs again.