Matt explains stage silence

basquebromance

Would that explain why at my show last Saturday, when Matt came up to speak, it sounded like he was speaking gibberish? No offense to the guy love his music but I guess this clarifies why he was like blurting this random gibberish and I never understood why he was speaking so fast and incoherently. The guy can sing but damn. Seemed like he was a bit shy and geeky. That's kinda the running 'gig' (no pun intended), though, right? Matt's always been sorta the geeky rock kid rather than some Axl Rose type of dude?

He speaks rather quickly outside of gigs, too, so when it's just something canned like the "thank you very much" he'll say after songs, it just flies out of him into something totally incomprehensible.

The often sketchy acoustics at venues make it more impossible to hear what he's saying.

He is *absolutely* terrible at stage banter, though, and interacting with the crowd. I've had the pleasure of being at gigs where literally the only thing he said beyond a "thank you" or two was some version of "no one in the US knows this song..." (to, like, PiB...) and it's made his statements like that massively more offputting.

I think 30STM might have been the perfect opener for them, tbh, because even though Jared is using all the chatter and playing around to cover for having completely lost his voice, it REALLY gets the crowd going. He can be quite the showman.

tbh, I'm perfectly okay with them not being social on stage. It's more the pacing of the set and the down time that can make the show seem cold, imo, not the lack of banter.

I'd rather he quit insulting the US crowds at their own gigs, for sure... Even when having a good time, it's so, SO offputting.

And obvs the inconsistent energy from the band during the performance, although I'm thinking (hoping) the 360 Tour was the pinnacle of bad energy.

Matt tried banter once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3q_VxBgNvw

Never again.

Can we make this a Bellamy Banter thread?

[YT]

[/YT]

I think 30STM might have been the perfect opener for them, tbh, because even though Jared is using all the chatter and playing around to cover for having completely lost his voice, it REALLY gets the crowd going. He can be quite the showman.

It also made a really interesting contrast. I've seen them enough times in person and recordings to know Matt doesn't speak much, but it was never so apparent than seeing that after a polar opposite. They seemed so much more mysterious those first few songs.

• 6 months later...

I go to shows to be entertained. The more tools an entertainer has to do the job the better. I like different elements added into the show to make it more unique or unpredictable than just a bunch of songs in a row non-stop. Thats what seperates the big players from the local bands you see in the bars in your city.