Matt Bellamy: 'LA is full of shiny, happy people'

British rocker Matt Bellamy thinks music lovers sometimes want to hear dark and unusual songs.

Muse frontman Matt Bellamy thought all the happy people in Los Angeles were fake when he first arrived there.

The British rocker moved stateside to be closer to his son Bingham, four, who he has with ex Kate Hudson. Matt and actress Kate have remained good friends, and he's content with his life in the Californian sunshine. However, that wasn't always the case.

"When you first move to LA you think anyone who seems that happy is fake," he laughed to Q magazine. "It takes your two or three years to realise they're just happy."

As well as warming to the happy people of LA, Matt's outlook on life has also changed.

"In my younger years I really didn't know what was going on in the world," he admitted. "As I've gotten older and I start to see clearly what my gripes are, I think I'm able to articulate it slightly better. Clarity is emerging. I'm past the point of thinking there's some f**king puppet master controlling it all."

Muse are known for their thumping rock anthems, and delight crowds the world over when they tour. They're hotly tipped to be performing at Glastonbury 2016, alongside Coldplay, who are the only confirmed headliners at this stage.

Their fans have come to expect massive productions, with the band using everything from spinning stages to robots in their spectacles. In Matt's own words he sings about "innocent people, basically being killed by robots" but then uses the technology himself to wow audiences.

"It's quite common in the film industry. You get blockbusters dealing with heavy topics like warfare and politics," he pondered. "I don't know why the music world has more no-go areas. What's the musical version of Star Wars?

"Musical acts tend to be based on love concepts. I think people sometimes want to experience something dark and unusual."

Is this still just elaborate denial... or does someone else really write the music for him (and he's too dim to figure out what it's about)...? :LOL:

PS: you can write 'dark, unusual' songs about love...

"I'm past the point of thinking there's some f**king puppet master controlling it all." This is also particularly brain damaging considering the visuals for both The Handler video and live.