If you could re-order/re-track a Muse album, how would you do it?

Travisx2112

The Resistance + BH&R mashup.

Uprising

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of the Problematique

Resistance

United States of Eurasia

Unnatural Selection

Exo-Politics

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Feeling Good

Knights of Cydonia (shortened WatU intro)

Needs some work but it'll do for now. :p

For a while, my BHAR has gone:

Take a Bow

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Starlight

Easliy

Exo-Politics

Assassin (Grand Omega Bosses)

Knights of Cydonia

Glorious

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Soldier's Poem

Invincible

It goes Electronic->rock->rockyer->latin rock->end-ful ending. It seems the totally logical order... it sounds brilliant too

Uprising

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of the Problematique

Resistance

United States of Eurasia

Unnatural Selection

Exo-Politics

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Feeling Good

I think Hoodoo flows well into KoC anyways.

- Remove Escape and Overdue from Showbiz, add Nishe on there somewhere.

- I wouldn't change anything about OoS in terms of track order.

- Add Dead Star and all the b-sides of the era on Absolution with absolutely no regard for consistency, cohesion or any of those other things that Muse really don't do well, then remaster the whole thing to make it sound less dull, and you'd have a pretty killer double LP.

- I might stick Glorious onto BH&R somehow, maybe between Take a Bow and Starlight?

- NSC could replace Guiding Light, I guess.

Uprising

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of the Problematique

Resistance

United States of Eurasia

Unnatural Selection

Exo-Politics

City of Delusion

Hoodoo

Feeling Good

Needs some work but it'll do for now. :p

:stunned:

Sing for Absolution

Fury

Endlessly

Stockholm Syndrome

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Eternally Missed

Falling Away with You

Interlude

Intro

Apocalypse Please

Hysteria

Blackout

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Ruled by Secrecy

Might be better to just drop Thoughts, and it's a bit of a heavy listen, but I kind of like it.

Sing for Absolution

Fury

Endlessly

Stockholm Syndrome

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist

Eternally Missed

Falling Away with You

Interlude

Intro

Apocalypse Please

Hysteria

Blackout

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Ruled by Secrecy

Might be better to just drop Thoughts, and it's a bit of a heavy listen, but I kind of like it.

Hmm, explain.

Hmm, explain.

Kind of a break in the middle of the album, since the start is pretty heavy. SFA has the ambient intro bit and just has the atmosphere of an opener. Thought it would be interesting to have basically two halves to the album, and if you break it up with the interlude-intro-AP section it's kind of like starting over. Which I guess could kill the flow more than the actual listing...

Black Holes & Revelations:

Take A Bow

Map of the Problematique

Crying Shame

Supermassive Black Hole

Assassin (GOB)

Glorious

Starlight

Hoodoo

City of Delusion

Knights of Cydonia

The Resistance:

We Are The Universe

Uprising

MK Ultra

Helsinki Jam

Unnatural Selection

I Belong To You

Exogenesis

I've always thought The Resitance would have been much better if the order was better. The way it is is a bit of a mess, there's no narrative that a title like The Resistance and songs like Uprising would suggest, and the theme doesn't always stick, Undisclosed Desires doesn't really have anything to do with the concept of the album at all. If the tracks were rearranged, a number of stories could be told, depending on the order. It could follow the 'narrator' as he becomes more involved with this resistance movement, by starting with UD and IBTY, and progressing through Resistance and the idea of peacefull protest and resisting through emotion, to all out violent, physical resistance on Uprising and Unnatural Selection. The possition of USoE would be pivotal in deciding whether the resistance is successfull or not, at the end would sugest they failed, closer to the start it would simply describe the setting. To a lesser extent this also works for Guiding Light, which wouldn't be so bad it TR was more of a concept album. Exogenesis would always have to be at the end, and could also be used as an epilogue, suggesting that the system and/or the resistance to it have brought about the end of the world.

I've probably well over-thought this, so on a simpler level, I'd move IBTY, it kills what would be a fantastic transition from MKULTRA into Exogenesis, and I'd think about moving US earlier, to distribute the rock parts better. If it was up to me, Uprising would have the riff and more prominant guitar to make it more similar to the live version, which simply blows the album version away.

My album re-orders as of now:

Showbiz:

Sunburn

Recess

Host

Escape

Cave

Showbiz

Unintended

Shine Acoustic

Muscle Museum (Alternate Intro Version)

HTAILY

Uno

Minimum

Spiral Static

Con-Science

OoS:

Forced In

New Born

Bliss

SD

HM

PiB

Dead Star

CE

Micro Cuts

Screenager

Dark Shines

Futurism

Megalomania

HCM

Absolution

Intro

AP

TiRO

SFA

SS

FAWY

Nishe

Hysteria

B&H

Blackout

Eternally Missed

In Your World

Fury

RBS

BHaR

TaB

MotP

SMBH

Starlight

Easily

Glorious

Invincible

Crying Shame

Exo Politics

Assassin

Bedroom Acoustics

CoD

Hoodoo

KoC

Might do some more tweaking but I'm happy with these so far...obviously some have had more changes than others...will explain my reasoning if anyone is curious/wants to tell me how horrible these all are. :p

I've always thought The Resitance would have been much better if the order was better. The way it is is a bit of a mess, there's no narrative that a title like The Resistance and songs like Uprising would suggest, and the theme doesn't always stick, Undisclosed Desires doesn't really have anything to do with the concept of the album at all. If the tracks were rearranged, a number of stories could be told, depending on the order. It could follow the 'narrator' as he becomes more involved with this resistance movement, by starting with UD and IBTY, and progressing through Resistance and the idea of peacefull protest and resisting through emotion, to all out violent, physical resistance on Uprising and Unnatural Selection. The possition of USoE would be pivotal in deciding whether the resistance is successfull or not, at the end would sugest they failed, closer to the start it would simply describe the setting. To a lesser extent this also works for Guiding Light, which wouldn't be so bad it TR was more of a concept album. Exogenesis would always have to be at the end, and could also be used as an epilogue, suggesting that the system and/or the resistance to it have brought about the end of the world.

I've probably well over-thought this, so on a simpler level, I'd move IBTY, it kills what would be a fantastic transition from MKULTRA into Exogenesis, and I'd think about moving US earlier, to distribute the rock parts better. If it was up to me, Uprising would have the riff and more prominant guitar to make it more similar to the live version, which simply blows the album version away.

I actually completely agree. It's such a shame how fans can think of better track orders than the band themselves.

Absolution

Intro

Apocalypse Please

Hysteria

Sing For Absolution

Eternally Missed

Endlessly

Falling Away With You

Butterflies And Hurricanes

Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

Time Is Running Out

Fury

Ruled By Secrecy

No offense but did you actually just take Stockholm Syndrome out of Absolution .....

No offense but did you actually just take Stockholm Syndrome out of Absolution .....

You know that feeling you get in your gut when you just know you've forgotten something but you have no idea what it is?

I had that feeling all the way through making this. :facepalm:

I'll just edit it in now...

Muse is one of the few bands in which I am usually always very satisfied with their respective albums track-lists....

I would have added Fury to Absolution and I would have added either Easily or Crying Shame to Black Holes but thats about all i'd change.

And I am VERY particular about the tracklist on an album. Muse is just good at ordering their songs in a very listenable order IMO.

Muse is one of the few bands in which I am usually always very satisfied with their respective albums track-lists....

I would have added Fury to Absolution and I would have added either Easily or Crying Shame to Black Holes but thats about all i'd change.

And I am VERY particular about the tracklist on an album. Muse is just good at ordering their songs in a very listenable order IMO.

So you like the whole 'Map Of The Problematique > Soldier's Poem' thing on BHAR?

Don't get me wrong, I love both songs but that's a terrible choice to make in terms of flow.

• 4 months later...

Boredom bump.

BH&R

Take A Bow

Supermassive Black Hole

Easily

Invincible

Cyring Shame

Starlight

Exo-Politics (Burning Bandits Version)

Map Of The Problematique

Assassin (Debase Masons Grog Version)