Q Magazine 357: Cover article

forevermusic

357_WEB-tease-370x215.jpg

Access All Areas To The Greatest Show On Earth…

“World ambassadors for paranoia,” is how Matt Bellamy jokingly describes Muse, but as we join them on tour for this month’s cover feature Q discovers the Devonshire trio are also glorious envoys for “toomuchness”. With unprecedented access backstage – and onstage (literally!) – Dorian Lyskey joins the band on their recent Canadian tour and immerses himself in a world 360-degree video screens, hammerhead stage platforms and more as he straps himself in for the most outlandish rock concert ever.

“I think people sometimes want to experience something dark or unusual,” notes Bellamy of his audiences’ deepest desires, and the Muse frontman explains why he is happy to oblige in our new issue, on sale from Thursday (18 February).

Q Features are usually good, so should hopefully be an interesting read.

http://www.qthemusic.com/14073/muses-matt-bellamy-hillary-clinton-q357-preview/

In the new issue of Q, on sale in print and on digital from today (18 February), Muse grant us unprecedented backstage access to their current tour… although Matt Bellamy reveals he’s been mixing in even exclusive circles himself.

With his politically charged, dystopian lyrical theories, the frontman tells Dorian Lynsky that while in Washington he met US presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton and her husband, former president Bill.

“They seem like nice people, very down-to-earth,” reports our rock star in DC. “Hillary seemed like one of my friend’s mums but I’m sure she’s an expert at talking to anybody on their own terms. Put her in a room with me and she’s chatty and friendly: ‘Oh, I love your music.’ You just get the sense that it’s a chess game to them and they’re out to win.”

Bellamy adds though that he likes the idea of a female president. “I do think if all politicians were women, the world would be a better place,” he suggests. “Men compete for natural resources in the hope it will secure their chances of getting laid. That’s what men do.”

Anyone have scans?

https://www.facebook.com/musenewses/photos/ms.c.eJw9jckNwDAMwzYqLFu~_9l~_sbRLnKYKgAJoC4p4oCh8cgBZHEgd8YxleA6zVymE5oLah14hejbSJsn~;DQm50GzWGEDvqt6Eryv3yfaaqRbTwBYNlJRo~-.bps.a.1143210175718492.1073741985.325990180773833/1143211055718404/?type=3&theater

Matt: "My focus won't be a large body of work. For a number of years I'm not going to attempt to make another full collection of work that has a very clear theme. I feel like I've done that. I think the albums before Drones were each trying to improve on that. I'd like to be more sporadic and random."

Oh dear don't really like the sound of that.

Edited by musekiddo

https://www.facebook.com/musenewses/photos/ms.c.eJw9jckNwDAMwzYqLFu~_9l~_sbRLnKYKgAJoC4p4oCh8cgBZHEgd8YxleA6zVymE5oLah14hejbSJsn~;DQm50GzWGEDvqt6Eryv3yfaaqRbTwBYNlJRo~-.bps.a.1143210175718492.1073741985.325990180773833/1143211055718404/?type=3&theater

Matt: "My focus won't be a large body of work. For a number of years I'm not going to attempt to make another full collection of work that has a very clear theme. I feel like I've done that. I think the albums before Drones were each trying to improve on that. I'd like to be more sporadic and random."

Oh dear don't really like the sound of that.

I haven't read it. Was that in context of not releasing full albums anymore, because it's less depressing if you think of him meaning he doesn't plan to write the songs all at once and look at them like part of that whole. Then it doesn't necessarily mean he's talking about a big mess of different genres. I mean, not like Drones was particularly samey, anyways.

Unless he decides that everything he releases must be a "single" with mass appeal, which would be disastrous, it could actually be quite cool.

For all we know there's been loads of great songs that didn't make the cut because they didn't fit whatever "theme" or approach he was going for at the time.

I mean, look at their B-Sides.

Would be worrying to see what a tour schedule for them would look like in that scenario, though.

My main worry is that the music will lose its novelty. It happened with most artists that I've seen do similar things. Celldweller started releasing all of his old stuff with like a song a week. But after a while you just stop caring.

As fans we beg them to give us everything they've got, but there really needs to be quality control and a sense of novelty imo. Otherwise people just lose interest.

There is the aspect that without a big buildup or visible album release, people just fade away and forget about it all, too. Especially if the release dates are super random, or even if people just didn't care for the last song released and stop paying attention.

What's the basis for promotion for these individual songs? Reliance that people have previously signed up for some form of the band's social media, and actually follow it? Kind of preaching to the choir.

Hoping something gets popular on YouTube? Getting into possible "singles only" territory.

It doesn't seem like it would bode well for areas of the world that don't still have a huge, consistent followings for the band.

And doesn't seem particularly like good news for tours in, say, the US, where they're struggling to drum up the interest to fill shows already oversized for their fanbase.