Q&A Discussion Thread

JessicaSarahS

Yeah, I think the problem of fans holding up phones to record concerts could be reduced/got rid of if the band just got a crew member to do a basic recording of the gig and make it available for download for a smallish fee. I can't see how they could lose, make money and stop annoying phones being held up through gigs and loads of people would love to re-live the gig through a reasonable recording....

Hasn't helped at the gigs that have been recorded. People don't really seem to care that a gig is being recorded for release. They want their own thing.

While we were waiting for the Dallas gig, the band's manager came out and talked to the front of the GA line. Catherine asked if the band could play Citizen Erased and we all rallied together and practically begged for it. Glenn said he'd ask, but we sure as hell better sing every word so the band could hear, because most of the crowd only wants to hear f-ing Madness. (I'm paraphrasing, but he definitely said f-ing Madness...lol) They hate it when they play a deep cut and the crowd doesn't know it.

To me this suggests that we already know the answers to our setlist questions. Muse really hit it big in the US with The 2nd Law. The reason we old schoolers begrudge this is because these new fans (most of them - I know there are new ones out there who don't fit this mold) don't know the older songs or even appreciate the other sounds the band has pioneered over the years. Muse is a ticket selling machine, as much as I hate to admit it. If they play a bunch of songs the audience doesn't recognize, their ticket sales would suffer. The reason they can get away with better set lists in Europe is because they hit it big there a long, long time ago.

I'd love to hear answers about their process and behind the scenes stuff as well as looking to the future in terms of fans and music. I'd love to have access to video like they do at Festivals.

You're right, but my only rebuttal would be how is it that their concert sales still suffered greatly even though they're catering to their $$$ cash cow crowd?

Hasn't helped at the gigs that have been recorded. People don't really seem to care that a gig is being recorded for release. They want their own thing.

Well, if it's going to take over 12 months for the footage to be available, people will want their own recordings but if they were to make a regular thing of taking a recording and making it available to download within 48 hours, that could change.

Why interfere with your experience by recording if you know it's getting done for you and that, although it's just taken from one angle, quick and basic, it's not gonna be shaky and it'll be better than what you can get from the middle of a sweaty crowd.

Why interfere with your experience by recording if you know it's getting done for you and that, although it's just taken from one angle, quick and basic, it's not gonna be shaky and it'll be better than what you can get from the middle of a sweaty crowd.

Because they still won't release every song played. Like Hyper Music at The Mayan. Or the OoS set at Reading.

I'm a low-functioning human.:LOL: You're on the internet so which one are you?:p

I'm a low-functioning bot.

I had to get rid of my question about future album remasters to fit my other two in, if anyone's stuck for questions and fancies asking about something to do with that.

That's a good idea, thanks.

Edit: Someone beat me to it, though I wish their question would've mentioned the whole loudness war thing.

Because they still won't release every song played. Like Hyper Music at The Mayan. Or the OoS set at Reading.

But people have recordings of those songs. They will be on YouTube.

The band could provide their own 'fan recording' to save the fans from doing it themselves. If you were to ask people if they'd buy a recording (taken from one static camera, nothing fancy, no edits but probably better than a recording from a fan's shaky hand) of the gig they'd attended, I reckon quite a lot would and even people who didn't go to that gig might want the recording too.

OK, it'd get ripped off for free as well but it'd still be something worthwhile to a lot of people...... or maybe it's just me. Maybe no-one would be interested in it at all?

But people have recordings of those songs. They will be on YouTube.

The band could provide their own 'fan recording' to save the fans from doing it themselves. If you were to ask people if they'd buy a recording (taken from one static camera, nothing fancy, no edits but probably better than a recording from a fan's shaky hand) of the gig they'd attended, I reckon quite a lot would and even people who didn't go to that gig might want the recording too.

OK, it'd get ripped off for free as well but it'd still be something worthwhile to a lot of people...... or maybe it's just me. Maybe no-one would be interested in it at all?

Oh no, I'm totally for pro-recordings of the gigs, but I don't trust the band to release everything from the gigs were they to do that. If they did start doing it and built a good track record of releasing everything and not leaving certain songs out, then I might consider not taping things.

Why is it when you play in Japan you often play quite obscure songs out of the blue?

:awesome:

Oh no, I'm totally for pro-recordings of the gigs, but I don't trust the band to release everything from the gigs were they to do that. If they did start doing it and built a good track record of releasing everything and not leaving certain songs out, then I might consider not taping things.

If they were to do this, I'd imagine it'd be the completely unedited audio and video being used for the screens. Can't imagine they'd have the time or care to edit certain material out while on tour (assuming they'd be uploaded that night or the following day).

I wish they'd just add "please put your phones away and enjoy yourselves" to the "no flash on your cameras" PSA for the floor of the arena tours.

If they were to do this, I'd imagine it'd be the completely unedited audio and video being used for the screens. Can't imagine they'd have the time or care to edit certain material out while on tour (assuming they'd be uploaded that night or the following day).

I wish they'd just add "please put your phones away and enjoy yourselves" to the "no flash on your cameras" PSA for the floor of the arena tours.

Or they might just have canned settings to mix the audio across gigs so it could be done quickly, but don't master it.

Well I already used up both of my questions but something I was always curious about is how Muse played in Bejing earlier this year and this was only like a few weeks before Bejing was put on red alert for smog levels. I was wondering if they had any problems with breathing there or if they were advised to stay inside or if they had to wear masks or anything. the locals are probably somewhat adapted to it but I imagine it would be even worse for foreigners.

Tjet's second question should be boosted. I hope the next Making Of is really fleshed out to compensate for the lack of footage that was recorded this time around. Hope Tom won't have another kid come next album's studio time :p

I'd love to see them record actually coming up with song demos though... we only ever see them track the songs but it would be cool to see the songs in their infancy too.