Q&A Discussion Thread

JessicaSarahS

The "thank you," "come to my country," "play this song" ones are all supposed to be removed, if the rules are upheld.

Even if we haven't had the time to delete them they won't end up on the list sent to management. People haven't realised that the band won't read this thread so none of the personal messages are relevant as well.

Do you know if the guys will be answering these questions in a video or just written?

Not sure but we think it will be written.

I know my 'question' on disability wasn't really a question but I'm glad it was moved here instead of just being deleted. I thought the question which blamed Muse for the problems faced by disabled fans was unfair to target them and wanted to let them know that some of their disabled fans know it isn't their fault. I'd still like them to be aware and to tell whoever is responsible for booking venues that they MUST insist on fair treatment for disabled fans.

This means I get a second question, right? :D

Why did give SOAKED away???

Pretty sure they (or Matt, at least) said it was 'too cheesy' and didn't fit their style at the time.

I know :rolleyes:

hello guys , what do you think of the fact that many fans want a return to origins ?

Do they/we though?

hello guys , what do you think of the fact that many fans want a return to origins ? I believe that you are one of the few bands who like to experiment and do not stay glued to the usual music . This is what I love about you, keep it up! And then matt in particular would like to ask ... do you feel when you revise the beginning and look at you now ? What do you think ?;)

I'm fine with experimentation, as long as they're willing to risk alienating their current audience (the ones that aren't listening to the albums), particularly live, though I'd argue playing a Download/Psycho Tour/Zepp set to a generic crowd would get a really great response, because that's how they got to the arenas, blowing people away by playing obnoxious crazy rock. That's the big issue I have with the Drones Tour, a tour for a concept album about a heartbroken bastard who joins a powerful military force, gets indoctrinated to kill on command, breaks free from control, defects, revolts and finally breaks free. In the alternative ending, destroys the world. Then when you go to the show, it's hit after hit after hit, playing it completely safe so that way the people who came to see Madness don't walk out disappointed. It's jarring to see Apocalypse Please into Prelude into Starlight.

At some point they're going to have to choose whether they want to be in the Coldplay/top 40 radio category when it comes to their live performances, because the material doesn't reflect the live aspect, and given the unwillingness to play longer shows where you can afford to play all your hits + the "deep cuts", the "we're Coldplay, but we're also able to rock out like a geekier Rage Against the Machine" routine is getting really, really old.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

If Matt can't remember the name of his albums consistently... do we think he remembers working titles of old songs? :chuckle:

I think there's a similar element to track placings, as I recall some interviews where he'd forgotten Uno was on Showbiz, and that he thought Map of the Problematique was on Absolution.

Pretty sure I've seen other acts in interviews forget which albums their songs are on though, so its probably not a phenomenon unique to MB.

I'm surprised no one has asked about playing the damn super bowl, because you know according to the subreddit, that's definitely their audience.

Actually, I take that back in light of remembering this.

God that was awful.

And I don't really want to see a medley of SMBH, Starlight and Madness featuring Beyoncé in leather underpants, either.

. "Lots of bands (Red Hot Chili Peppers for instance) put audio bootlegs on sale on their website. People can legally download the audio of the concert they've been to, listen to it and remember their good time. That's pretty cool. Would you be up for it?"

This one is interesting.

Some very interesting questions that need to be answered. Really hope they answer the one about if they think it acceptable for a band with seven albums to play 16 songs at own arena-gigs. That was the first question I thought of when I saw the new thread.

Some very interesting questions that need to be answered. Really hope they answer the one about if they think it acceptable for a band with seven albums to play 16 songs at own arena-gigs. That was the first question I thought of when I saw the new thread.

I'm assuming management probs wouldn't choose something that sounds like a criticism unfortunately, even if it's a legitimate question.

Also, I get the feeling the band count stuff like IS, the jam and Drones as separate songs so they'd probably just say "we don't play 16 lol".

. "Lots of bands (Red Hot Chili Peppers for instance) put audio bootlegs on sale on their website. People can legally download the audio of the concert they've been to, listen to it and remember their good time. That's pretty cool. Would you be up for it?"

This one is interesting.

Yeah, I think the problem of fans holding up phones to record concerts could be reduced/got rid of if the band just got a crew member to do a basic recording of the gig and make it available for download for a smallish fee. I can't see how they could lose, make money and stop annoying phones being held up through gigs and loads of people would love to re-live the gig through a reasonable recording....

Yeah, I think the problem of fans holding up phones to record concerts could be reduced/got rid of if the band just got a crew member to do a basic recording of the gig and make it available for download for a smallish fee. I can't see how they could lose, make money and stop annoying phones being held up through gigs and loads of people would love to re-live the gig through a reasonable recording....

Or even make it free for attendees by sending a code like they did with the 'copy of Drones with every ticket' thing.

The whole idea would make a lot of sense...which almost certainly means it won't happen. T'was discussed on here a few years ago iirc.

I'm assuming management probs wouldn't choose something that sounds like a criticism unfortunately, even if it's a legitimate question.

Also, I get the feeling the band count stuff like IS, the jam and Drones as separate songs so they'd probably just say "we don't play 16 lol".

Seeing as Isolated System, Munich Jam, Prelude and both Drones are listed on the setlists, then I think yes, they probably would think as such.

While we were waiting for the Dallas gig, the band's manager came out and talked to the front of the GA line. Catherine asked if the band could play Citizen Erased and we all rallied together and practically begged for it. Glenn said he'd ask, but we sure as hell better sing every word so the band could hear, because most of the crowd only wants to hear f-ing Madness. (I'm paraphrasing, but he definitely said f-ing Madness...lol) They hate it when they play a deep cut and the crowd doesn't know it.

To me this suggests that we already know the answers to our setlist questions. Muse really hit it big in the US with The 2nd Law. The reason we old schoolers begrudge this is because these new fans (most of them - I know there are new ones out there who don't fit this mold) don't know the older songs or even appreciate the other sounds the band has pioneered over the years. Muse is a ticket selling machine, as much as I hate to admit it. If they play a bunch of songs the audience doesn't recognize, their ticket sales would suffer. The reason they can get away with better set lists in Europe is because they hit it big there a long, long time ago.

I'd love to hear answers about their process and behind the scenes stuff as well as looking to the future in terms of fans and music. I'd love to have access to video like they do at Festivals.

Or even make it free for attendees by sending a code like they did with the 'copy of Drones with every ticket' thing.

The whole idea would make a lot of sense...which almost certainly means it won't happen. T'was discussed on here a few years ago iirc.

If said audio were to be mixed and mastered, it most definitely wouldn't be free.