New Muser..

vendan

This is going to sound really pathetic and strange to some people.. oops

I was on YouTube listening to Muse B-sides that I hadn't heard before, when I came across Twin

There was a comment talking about Matt's adorable giggle at the beginning, and all the replies to that comment were two Muser's hating on her for being from the Dan and Phil fandom. They told her to go back to her 'own music' and get lost. They were being homophobic too.

Me, being the fool I am commented that I discovered Muse this year through Dan and Phil.

( they played the handler on the radio and i fell in love )

They started hating on me, saying that I probably liked 'nightcore' before Muse, saying that I'm just a poser and not a true fan. They said I was immature for liking shows like Gravity Falls. They told me, like the other girl, that I should just stop listening to Muse and go back to my 'original music'. They keep telling me I'm not a pr(w)oper fan, because I don't own any of the B-side albums IRL. They tell me because I'm new I should just stop listening to them.

Usually I would ignore all this.

But the problem I'm having major anxiety/depression issues ATM.

It's getting, I keep thinking that I need to leave the Muse fanbase because nobody wants me here. Nobody want's a person as terrible as me listening to the same music they do.

Muse influence a lot of my creative work and generally make me a happier person.

I know, this is so ridiculous. But I need someone's validation.

Should I stop listening to them? Am I not welcome in this fanbase?

i know this is the worst post ever. sorry..:$

No, you shouldn't stop listening to Muse.

Yes, you ARE welcome here.:)

If you go to the off-topic section you will find a thread called The Rainbow Club II (mental health). You will find some very understanding and supportive people there.:)

NEVER let anyone tell you what music you can and can't listen to. They have no right to tell you what to do.:noey:

Dear original poster, don't let those "mean girls" or whatever bother you! :( From the conversations you were describing, THEY are the ones that have a problem, and they sound like very immature bullies! It makes me sad they said those things to you, and made you feel crappy about yourself. There are jerks in all fandoms and in all walks of life, but for the most part, even on this forum, Muse fans are a very welcoming group. YouTube commenters are some of the worst! Sure, there is drama in every fandom, but I have truly met some of my closest friends through Muse and other music. While they started as "internet friends," now we are "real" friends and see each other irl when we can.

So no, of course you should keep listening to Muse! And it doesn't matter HOW you found out about them, or how long you've been a fan. Everyone was a new fan at some point. I discovered them through Twilight, haha! And I think Dan and Phil are adorbs. :chuckle:

Perhaps your post hits close to home because I have a daughter who is 12, who ALSO has severe anxiety problems. It hurts to see how hard things are for her sometimes. I wish she liked Muse!

I know it's hard at your age, but try not to let those assholes get you down. You're better than they are. (((hugs)))

Hellooooooo there. It's great that new Musers that are, like, complete new, pop out into the community. That weird feeling when you discover them when everybody else did it year ago...

Also aww, anxiety problems. I was about to turn down listening to a band because my classmates laughed at me liking something different that they usually listen to once (alternative rock is a no match to people like, say, Kanye West *brrr*). I did stick to listening that band though. Don't care what the haters say and play what you wanna play, darling, as long as you like that. It's not like they are trying to change your music taste. But if they try, they're making it worse and if you listen to them haters, you'll feel worse, too. ;)

I know, this is so ridiculous. But I need someone's validation.

Should I stop listening to them? Am I not welcome in this fanbase?

i know this is the worst post ever. sorry..

What you definitely should do is stop looking through the YouTube comment section. Nothing good ever comes out of there. But continue listening to whatever you like, listen to music to make you feel happy and all and don't care what other people say

And people say this board is the home of the horrible, opinionless, elitist Muse fans :LOL:

People can be arseholes, unfortunately. Just always keep in mind that it doesn't matter how or why you get into something (well, when it comes to music at least). If you like it, you like it, there's no need to explain or justify why and there's no incorrect reason. I used to be close to your position when I first joined this forum in that I cared about fitting in and wanted to have the least controversial opinions but you just have to learn to not care and realise that, really, it doesn't matter in the slightest. I often say things that people disagree with on this board, Youtube (on the rare occasions I delve into it's dark corners) and even real life nowadays. If anything, I actually find it funny when my opinions seem to irritate people :chuckle:

So yeah, don't feel the need to look for validation when it comes to your opinion on something like music. If you find other people who agree with you and share your thoughts that's great but, at the same time, don't sweat it if people don't and actively laugh at the people who freak out over it.

pr(w)oper

just don't do this

Edited by Jobby

And people say this board is the home of the horrible, opinionless, elitist Muse fans :LOL:

People can be arseholes, unfortunately. Just always keep in mind that it doesn't matter how or why you get into something (well, when it comes to music at least). If you like it, you like it, there's no need to explain or justify why and there's no incorrect reason. I used to be close to your position when I first joined this forum in that I cared about fitting in and wanted to have the least controversial opinions but you just have to learn to not care and realise that, really, it doesn't matter in the slightest. I often say things that people disagree with on this board, Youtube (on the rare occasions I delve into it's dark corners) and even real life nowadays. If anything, I actually find it funny when my opinions seem to irritate people :chuckle:

So yeah, don't feel the need to look for validation when it comes to your opinion on something like music. If you find other people who agree with you and share your thoughts that's great but, at the same time, don't sweat it if people don't and actively laugh at the people who freak out over it.

just don't do this

Plus you can add the arseholes in this forum to your 'ignore' list. :LOL: You won't have to read anything they say ever again if you don't want to.:chuckle:

The majority of Youtube commenters are generally very nasty people, I usually tend to stay out of there. Most of the guys here are pretty awesome, but there's an odd arsehole every now and then although most of them seem to have left. Always good to see new people join. To be honest, the way I found Muse was probably even worse, could've been through a generic show on Kerrang (that's how I found 30STM for sure) or Guitar Hero :LOL: Don't let those people bring you down, no one should call you anything like that. Listen to what you want to listen to, ignore the idiots and they'll leave you alone and everything will be better :)

Edited by Destroya

Yeah, people on Youtube can be real dicks, especially when it comes to music. It's something about "genuine fans" being there "ever since the beginning" and "knowing all the songs down to the T" and "owning everything they've ever done in physical form." If you ask me, they're just really insecure and looking to remedy that by lording themselves over new/casual fans.

Also, why do people shit on people telling them to go back to "their own music" when they're from/already part of another fanbase?? I just don't understand it. Just because you watch a show or movie or read a book or such doesn't mean it'll automatically connect you to a certain artist or music genre? and dan+phil actually like muse so their logic is seriously flawed; anyway...

It doesn't actually fix anything. It makes them look like shit (which they probably are) and makes others feel like crap (which they don't deserve to). It doesn't matter if you just like one song to death or know all of them by heart - you still don't deserve to get shit on for not knowing every song or liking something else before liking Muse. It also doesn't matter what you liked beforehand I liked COUNTRY MUSIC and TWILIGHT (at the same time) before listening to Muse for crying out loud...and as far as the "immature" thing, that's bullshit.

If Muse/being part of the fanbase makes you a happier person, then I see no problem with listening to their music. It is completely irrelevant what they say/think about you and your place in the fanbase/what you like besides Muse. It's what you listen to and what you like. If someone wants to shit on you for it, then they're just a sad excuse of an asshole. They can't decide what you like and on what terms you like it.

In other words: they need to shush. Your interests are valid, no matter if you just know Uprising or every single song they're ever done. Welcome to the board! Always good to see new people here :happy:

And that's not the worst post ever. I've done far worse in my day :LOL: You don't have to apologise for making this post :3

homophobes, ugh

I never watched Twilight in full before that sweet 2013 afternoon when Elementary ad popped up. In fact, after finding out Muse, I tried to put myself on the possible opportunity to wait for that Twilight movie's baseball scene, sadly, I couldn't wait until it most of the times when it went on TV. :(

Mate, I'm relatively new too, but look at my age; I'm old enough to be your mother :LOL: I've known about Muse for YEARS but for various reasons I lost the faith after Absolution and just saw the light again with Drones. So I've got like over a decade of catching up to do. What those idiots have said about you could easily apply to me!

Except for maybe, and I'm not even sure, seeing them supporting Feeder in Manchester in 1999, I've never seen them live. I own just three albums but I didn't even know about two of them until I started sorting out the CD collection over the Christmas holidays! Until relatively recently I wasn't 100% sure whether Dom or Chris was the drummer :$:$:$ and other stuff like that So I've basically never seen them, have practically no stuff by them, wouldn't know two of them if I fell over them in the street* and even I at my advanced time of life ;) was a bit nervous of dipping my toe into a forum made up of die-hard "pwoper" (I know that one) fans.

They've not chucked me out yet even though I made a really embarrassing mistake in the misheard lyrics thread :)

Please don't pay any mind to these creatures that have mocked you. I do not understand the mocking of fellow fans of "your" band who are only just discovering their music. I follow Instagram accounts of teenagers who are just getting into Queen, which I think is amazing. I've been a fan of Queen's for as long as I can remember - but I wasn't even born when Bohemian Rhapsody came out, and these people weren't even born when Freddie died. So what? Music is for everyone. Matt, Dom and Chris didn't make their music just for some people; there are no labels saying oh by the way you can't listen to this until you've heard every B side we've ever recorded.

YouTube commenters are also the Worst Thing Ever.

Princess of promise said:

It's something about "genuine fans" being there "ever since the beginning" and "knowing all the songs down to the T" and "owning everything they've ever done in physical form." If you ask me, they're just really insecure and looking to remedy that by lording themselves over new/casual fans.

And she's very right. It's the "I liked them before they were famous" syndrome. Some people will go off a band when they become commercially and/or critically successful because...well, I have no idea. They want to be different and special, I suppose. I never could understand it.

As for your depression/mental health issues - I'm there too. It sucks MASSIVELY. Hang on in there. The voice that tells you you're not good enough, not whatever enough, is a big fat liar and it can go screw itself, because you are. I struggle constantly with people's opinions of me, and trying to please everyone. and my friend once pointed out that I'll believe people when they say I'm a twat or whatever, but I never believe people when they say I'm great. Why do I only believe the negative stuff? I don't know. But I understand how it feels, I really do. Big hugs to you, fellow Muser.

Hey I just wrote an essay :$ heh

*does not apply to my little Matt, who I've had a crush on FOREVER whoops

Mate, I'm relatively new too, but look at my age; I'm old enough to be your mother :LOL: I've known about Muse for YEARS but for various reasons I lost the faith after Absolution and just saw the light again with Drones. So I've got like over a decade of catching up to do. What those idiots have said about you could easily apply to me!

Except for maybe, and I'm not even sure, seeing them supporting Feeder in Manchester in 1999, I've never seen them live. I own just three albums but I didn't even know about two of them until I started sorting out the CD collection over the Christmas holidays! Until relatively recently I wasn't 100% sure whether Dom or Chris was the drummer :$:$:$ and other stuff like that So I've basically never seen them, have practically no stuff by them, wouldn't know two of them if I fell over them in the street* and even I at my advanced time of life ;) was a bit nervous of dipping my toe into a forum made up of die-hard "pwoper" (I know that one) fans.

They've not chucked me out yet even though I made a really embarrassing mistake in the misheard lyrics thread :)

Please don't pay any mind to these creatures that have mocked you. I do not understand the mocking of fellow fans of "your" band who are only just discovering their music. I follow Instagram accounts of teenagers who are just getting into Queen, which I think is amazing. I've been a fan of Queen's for as long as I can remember - but I wasn't even born when Bohemian Rhapsody came out, and these people weren't even born when Freddie died. So what? Music is for everyone. Matt, Dom and Chris didn't make their music just for some people; there are no labels saying oh by the way you can't listen to this until you've heard every B side we've ever recorded.

YouTube commenters are also the Worst Thing Ever.

Princess of promise said:

And she's very right. It's the "I liked them before they were famous" syndrome. Some people will go off a band when they become commercially and/or critically successful because...well, I have no idea. They want to be different and special, I suppose. I never could understand it.

As for your depression/mental health issues - I'm there too. It sucks MASSIVELY. Hang on in there. The voice that tells you you're not good enough, not whatever enough, is a big fat liar and it can go screw itself, because you are. I struggle constantly with people's opinions of me, and trying to please everyone. and my friend once pointed out that I'll believe people when they say I'm a twat or whatever, but I never believe people when they say I'm great. Why do I only believe the negative stuff? I don't know. But I understand how it feels, I really do. Big hugs to you, fellow Muser.

Hey I just wrote an essay :$ heh

*does not apply to my little Matt, who I've had a crush on FOREVER whoops

OMG your story is so similar to mine it is scary! :eek:

I owned OOS and Absolution, but then lost contact with them until shortly before Drones was released, rediscovered them with 2nd law, beginning of 2015. Never been to a concert. i am 39.

Now I own all of their albums, some DVDs and will see them live in May in Vienna.

Ohoh...conspiracy theory :LOL:

You want spooky? I've just scored a ticket to see them in Cologne! This will be our first tour as well! :D

:thumbsup:

I'm old enough to be YOUR mother and I only became a fan three years ago. My kids saw them before I did. My husband went with me to see them last year and my son will go with me this year.:)