2015.12.05 - Gila River Arena, Glendale, AZ, USA

halo eighteen

Are you referring to the silhouette screens that drop down and project videos for some of the songs? It's possible that they may block in the upper levels. It's more likely that if you had a seat on either stage end, either upper or lower, that you wouldn't get the full effect of those screen.

Yes, that is what I was referring to and the screens in general. My seats are end stage, and one of my friends said you would not get the full effect in the end stage areas. I really don't want to have to look for different tickets though. Hopefully we won't miss too much. Thanks.

This was my first Muse concert. I decided not to go see them years ago with Modest Mouse and haven't stopped kicking myself since then. Nothing was going to stop me this time.

I bought tickets for my wife as a surprise. She had no clue until her mom showed up to babysit and I showed her the tickets. She was almost on the ground in shock.

I have no complaints at all about anything. I am even sort happy, in a selfish way, that it wasn't jam packed with people in the G/A section. It was such a nice change to be right in front of the stage (The secondary mic -piano side) and not get squished. Heck, or even touched.

Most of you have mentioned your delight over their playing Apocalypse Please and when we heard the piano start it off, my wife and I freaked out.

I would have loved Endlessly or United/Eurasia, but that isn't even a complaint.

What a show. All around awesome. Been making a playlist of all the people who uploaded songs to Youtube.

As for the opening band, I heard them on Youtube the night before and didn't care for them. So we showed up right as they finished their last song.

Perfect night!

I liked Phantogram, but they need to ditch the strobe lights. I had to close my eyes at times because I couldn't take it anymore. :noey:

As for Muse, I will admit that Matt is getting lazy...there were at least two songs where I remember thinking "hey! why is Morgan playing the guitar while you faff around with the crowd, Matt?" :chuckle:

Still great though. I'm about to start sorting through my pics of last night, will probably post some later. :D

AZCentral article here: http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/12/06/muse-concert-review-drones-tour-glendale/76883136/

It's a bit pessimistic about the small crowd, but pretty complimentary for the band.

I just read the review...he was pretty spot on about the size of the crowd, though, as someone posted above, the crowd was 8,000 tickets sold. That's still a decent crowd. I think if the stage was a traditional end stage setup, it would have appeared more crowded. I don't know if the concert being in Glendale versus downtown Phoenix had anything to do with it. I hope not, I love the Glendale Arena for concerts.

For what it's worth, I was as that Peter Gabriel concert mentioned by the reviewer in December 2002. I think there was at most 4,000 people in attendance. But it was just as good as the Muse show was.

I'm not sure if it was the venue, or that people didn't know about it! I've run into people while out shopping and stuff, wearing my Muse shirts, and when they said "Muse!" I always asked if they knew they were coming to Phoenix in December. The answer was always "No, really?"

:facepalm:

They really shoot themselves in the foot by doing this piecemeal announcing of dates and throwing presales at us 5 minutes after they announce a show. And I don't know who is supposed to promote the tour, but they're doing an awful job of it. You could tell just by the queue that something changed since the last tour. This time I wandered up to my friends at 1:30 PM and ended up second in line at one of the gates. :noey: The crowd didn't really show up until after 5.

I don't know, maybe everyone is broke in December because of Black Friday? :unsure:

I'm not sure if it was the venue, or that people didn't know about it! I've run into people while out shopping and stuff, wearing my Muse shirts, and when they said "Muse!" I always asked if they knew they were coming to Phoenix in December. The answer was always "No, really?"

:facepalm:

They really shoot themselves in the foot by doing this piecemeal announcing of dates and throwing presales at us 5 minutes after they announce a show. And I don't know who is supposed to promote the tour, but they're doing an awful job of it. You could tell just by the queue that something changed since the last tour. This time I wandered up to my friends at 1:30 PM and ended up second in line at one of the gates. :noey: The crowd didn't really show up until after 5.

I don't know, maybe everyone is broke in December because of Black Friday? :unsure:

That is not surprising, from what i can tell happens with pretty much every band :LOL:

But yeah their US promotion is awful.

I liked Phantogram, but they need to ditch the strobe lights. I had to close my eyes at times because I couldn't take it anymore. :noey:

As for Muse, I will admit that Matt is getting lazy...there were at least two songs where I remember thinking "hey! why is Morgan playing the guitar while you faff around with the crowd, Matt?" :chuckle:

Still great though. I'm about to start sorting through my pics of last night, will probably post some later. :D

AZCentral article here: http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/12/06/muse-concert-review-drones-tour-glendale/76883136/

It's a bit pessimistic about the small crowd, but pretty complimentary for the band.

Count yourself lucky you weren't there back when The Big Pink were Muse's support band! The amount of strobe had me in stitches!

Billboard has the Phoenix show numbers. According to them, the attendance was 6,714 / 11,225. In 2013 they played to 9,578 in Phoenix. Sales are definitely down. Partly because of the lack of public interest in the Drones album, partly because of short notice of tickets onsale to the actual concert. But the biggest reason is, as everyone has said, the complete and utter lack of promotion! For both the album and the tour, Muse and their organization have done an absolutely ABYSMAL job of promoting and marketing themselves. It's like they're purposely taking a dive. For a band of their stature, there's no sense in being that lazy about it.

How long after the show starting time did Muse go on stage? I'm going in Vancouver tonight, and have to book it from my company christmas party to the show, and I'm hoping not to miss anything. (I've seen Phantogram so not too fussed about missing them.)