Muse aren't promoting some new 'Drones' tracks? Why?

takayanagi97

I've been watching their live shows ever since they started touring for 'Drones'

What I have noticed is they are playing a shit ton of their older songs. I see songs from Showbiz, Absolution, Blackholes & Revelations, and The Resistance, however they aren't playing some of their newer songs that makes their album so great.

Why aren't we seeing these tracks live?

Drones (yes, I love this track, the acapella is harmonious)

Aftermath

The Globalist

Aftermath and Globalist is probably one of their best tracks I've seen in a long time... well written, epic, heartfelt, uplifting, yet sad and emotional at the same time. At least Aftermath is, I wanna see how this track plays live! The Globalist is cool too. Drones is awesome cuz it reminds me of the olden days with residing with the good church.

EDIT: Especially right now you see Muse playing Knights of Cydonia with their "Ennio Morricone's Harmonica Intro" with the whistling sound and tribute to the old American cowboy films... it would make sense to play "The Globalist" track right before Knights or after Knights. I mean The Globalist has that classic rock, spaghetti western feel to it at the beginning in the intro. The whistle gives it away big time.

They're probably still rehearsing Drones tracks they haven't played yet or preparing to debut them in full album form in Mexico or something. I'd be surprised if they don't play The Globalist once the world tour kicks into high gear, though I could understand if they left Aftermath and Drones out. They have plenty of songs that accomplish what Aftermath does in a shorter length of time, and Drones doesn't really fit a live setting, unless that live setting is a church.

They're probably still rehearsing Drones tracks they haven't played yet or preparing to debut them in full album form in Mexico or something. I'd be surprised if they don't play The Globalist once the world tour kicks into high gear, though I could understand if they left Aftermath and Drones out. They have plenty of songs that accomplish what Aftermath does in a shorter length of time, and Drones doesn't really fit a live setting, unless that live setting is a church.

Drones would be a good song live. So would Aftermath. That beginning entrancing guitar riff sends you straight into heaven as it also portrays surviving the fight against The Globalist Oppression. Aftermath gives you the hope of overcoming an Apocalypse from the globalist elite in reality.

Also Aftermath paces itself quite well, and during the end of that track it is the epitome of hope and peace. Some people may think its a love song but it's actually not. It's survival of a great war.

"Aftermath" and "The Globalist" also have very similar intros so and style and it would make sense to include both songs in their gig. And it ain't similar in a bad redundant way.

Drones would be a good song live. So would Aftermath. That beginning entrancing guitar riff sends you straight into heaven as it also portrays surviving the fight against The Globalist Oppression. Aftermath gives you the hope of overcoming an Apocalypse from the globalist elite in reality.

Also Aftermath paces itself quite well, and during the end of that track it is the epitome of hope and peace. Some people may think its a love song but it's actually not. It's survival of a great war.

"Aftermath" and "The Globalist" also have very similar intros so and style and it would make sense to include both songs in their gig. And it ain't similar in a bad redundant way.

I agree aftermath would probably be good live, but not as good as something a little catchier and simpler that gets a similar feel across quicker, like Explorers or something. As for Drones...do you really think a stadium full of mainly hard rock fans who've come to see one of the greatest, biggest, most outrageous Rock outfits on the planet play their most epic set and show ever really want to hear a recording of Drones (as they' done er be able to replicate it completely live) over a live performance of any number of Muse's shorter hard rocking songs, like Plug In Baby or Dead Star? I think not personally, and the only way I could see it going over well is if they were to tack it on to the end of The Globalist, since it is really more of a conclusion to that song than much of a song in its own right, especially if they were playing the full album, which they may very well do. Otherwise, I really don't think much of an audience exists among Muse fans for Gregorian Chant about the Drone-pocalypse.

Well, at least say why. I'm curious to know. What do those songs mean to you? Is it just a song or are you able to interpret a deeper subliminal message?

I think Aftermath is an awful, generic, lifeless song after the first minute and songs like that only tend to translate even worse to a live atmosphere. The last 40 seconds or so are probably the worst thing Muse have ever put to record, for me.

As for Drones - I like it musically, I find the harmonies nice to listen to. I don't see how it could be 'good' live though, especially considering it'd almost certainly be played over the PA if it happened.

I agree aftermath would probably be good live, but not as good as something a little catchier and simpler that gets a similar feel across quicker, like Explorers or something.

Explorers and Aftermath are literally exactly the same length.

(also explorers is probably their worst ever live song)

I think Aftermath is an awful, generic, lifeless song after the first minute and songs like that only tend to translate even worse to a live atmosphere. The last 40 seconds or so are probably the worst thing Muse have ever put to record, for me.

As for Drones - I like it musically, I find the harmonies nice to listen to. I don't see how it could be 'good' live though, especially considering it'd almost certainly be played over the PA if it happened.

Explorers and Aftermath are literally exactly the same length.

(also explorers is probably their worst ever live song)

Sorry for my bad memory, of course, Explorers feels much shorter than Aftermath because of Aftermath's lengthy intro, so that's probably what I meant. Also, Explorers seemed to go over well on the Rome DVD, especially with Matt at the shiny silver piano out in the middle. At any rate, I'm sure they'd prefer to play a number of other songs over Aftermath, but they'll probably play it eventually since they seemed to like the idea of playing the full album...unless they'd rather skip its happy ending and go straight to the much more fun alternate ending if The Globalist.

Aftermath is just a rock ballad. What's so bad about ballads? I humbly beg to differ on that one. Have you tried listening to it over more than once perhaps? The last 40 seconds is great! He's just about to hit the high note harmoniously and unify with the backup vocals. Matt also sounds genuine, intentional, and heartfelt.

How would you feel if you just finished some sort of Apocalyptic war between the oppressors and the elite?

How does a soldier feel about his loving wife when he gets back from war?

That's why I love Aftermath so much. It isn't just about love it's about expressing your love and relief for someone after a huge tragedy of some sort. Don't believe me? Listen to the sinister black noise at the beginning of Aftermath. That's not typical of your average cheesy love ballad. That black noise clearly indicates the aftermath of a apocalyptic war.

How would that be bad live?

I feel like Drones is good to play at the very end, after the final song, and people walk away, Drones would be good to play as people would just be exiting the concert. I mean [JFK] is just a snippet of a famous JFK speech, but they still play that....

Edited by takayanagi97

Otherwise, I really don't think much of an audience exists among Muse fans for Gregorian Chant about the Drone-pocalypse.

I agree that Drones would be best to play either at the end, or maybe the 1st song as an intro.

However I disagree with the notion that there isn't an audience that exists for the church harmonious track "Drones." How do you know for sure there isn't an audience for it?

Drones can actually connect with people on heightened level for it's traditional roots. Not everybody is black and white for only hard rock bangers. If Muse wants to make their fans feel uplifted and enlightened, they could very well make Drones a big hit just by how well they execute it to the fans.

Aftermath is just a rock ballad. What's so bad about ballads? I humbly beg to differ on that one. Have you tried listening to it over more than once perhaps? The last 40 seconds is great! He's just about to hit the high note harmoniously and unify with the backup vocals. Matt also sounds genuine, intentional, and heartfelt.

How would you feel if you just finished some sort of Apocalyptic war between the oppressors and the elite?

That's why I love Aftermath so much. It isn't just about love it's about expressing your love for someone after a huge tragedy of some sort.

I feel like Drones is good to play at the very end, after the final song, and people walk away, Drones would be good to play as people would just be exiting the concert. I mean [JFK] is just a snippet of a famous JFK speech, but they still play that....

That makes more sense (about Drones). What I meant was no one really wants the flow of a hard rock concert interrupted by gregorian chant, so it would be really very bad in the middle, but I could see it as something to play as people leave, just like Queen always played a recording of God Save The Queen at the end of their shows (post 1975).

I agree that Drones would be best to play either at the end, or maybe the 1st song as an intro.

However I disagree with the notion that there isn't an audience that exists for the church harmonious track "Drones." How do you know for sure there isn't an audience for it?

Drones can actually connect with people on heightened level for it's traditional roots. Not everybody is black and white for only hard rock bangers. If Muse wants to make their fans feel uplifted and enlightened, they could very well make Drones a big hit just by how well they execute it to the fans.

Ideally this would hold up very well. But realistically, as shown by the fans general preference for older, harder rock stuff to the newer, softer material on this very board, the audience really isn't there. In today's modern, progressively-minded, instant gratification loving pop culture, there isn't much of a place for the traditionalism and un-catchiness of a track like Drones.

I don't have anything inherently against ballads. Invincible's in my top 10 and Redemption, Falling Down and Blackout are all great. I just hate Aftermath.

I find Matt's weird chest wailing, coupled with the atrocious bored-sounding drone-y backing vocals + high tremolo guitar, at the end actively painful to listen to. Like, it actually hurts my ears. It's a horrible clash.

That's why I love Aftermath so much. It isn't just about love it's about expressing your love for someone after a huge tragedy of some sort.

It'd be bad live because it'd be extremely boring and overly-long. The meaning behind the song doesn't really change that for me.

Considering they'll probably still be closing with Knights, Drones would be pretty jarring coming after that to say the least. JFK's fine 'cause it's just another atmospheric intro to a song. Drones is it's own thing and would probably come across as strange outside of the context of the album, especially if it just plays awkwardly over the PA.

Edited by Jobby

I think you guys are right.

Though Aftermath is still more of a presentable track than Drones, I think in terms of compatibility with the crowd Aftermath would be a hit or miss with some folks, and Drones would be like a 39% chance of being able to execute well.

It is true that the overly saturated desire for "new and hip" sounds to always be more generally preferred than the more sentimental, spiritual side of things.

If that's the case then I guess I'm just one in the minority.

I think you guys are right.

Though Aftermath is still more of a presentable track than Drones, I think in terms of compatibility with the crowd Aftermath would be a hit or miss with some folks, and Drones would be like a 39% chance of being able to execute well.

It is true that the overly saturated desire for "new and hip" sounds to always be more generally preferred than the more sentimental, spiritual side of things.

If that's the case then I guess I'm just one in the minority.

It's alright. I personally love the fact that Drones even exists. A sure sign that Muse are still every bit as outrageous as my first favorite band (Queen) used to be, and something I live both bands very well for. I would definitely not be one of the many turned away if they played it over the PA in concert, though I might scratch my head at their decision making skills. If it tells you anything, I'm currently (attempting to, darn wifi connection) listen(ing) to some classic Duke Ellington.

No indirect smartassery intended. My apologies. I was genuinely asking though if he knew more about the music, that's simply it. It's an honest question because it's good to know where other fans connect and relate and also know about the music. If they dislike or disagree with something then why? I'm curious to know. Sometimes there are other reasons as to why a person doesn't like something; such as simply not heard it enough or hasn't had that much time to listen to it. I wouldn't have known, but it's a good question to ask anyway just to talk about and discuss! :)