2016.04.02 - Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham, England

forevermusic

I thought they played the NEC/LG/Genting Arena on the last tour. I went to The Killers gig the day after instead. Don't remember much about the crowd, just that the acoustics were better than they had been for the Muse gig at the O2 I'd seen 4 days previously... although part of that may have been I wasn't sat to the side.

My cousin went to the NIA gig in Birmingham in 2009, which saw MK Ultra debuted. But all I remember is him saying he and his friends were moshing heavily to the Who Knows Who riff after MOTP, and that he regretted clapping along to that dun-dun dun dun-dun beat that starts Guiding Light.

2nd Law Tour was at NEC (LG Arena), which is a different venue out by the airport.

The Resistance Tour was at the NIA (Barclaycard Arena). The atmosphere/crowd were just as good as any other gig I've been to, and the debut of MK Ultra sent people into a frenzy.

Right okay, my bad.

I thought they renamed the LG to Barclaycard. Apparently the LG is now the Genting Arena (where The 2nd Law gig was held) and yes - It was crap.

There were people just standing around like they never even been to a gig before. Moaning at me for "standing in their way" just because I moved forward (not pushed, moved). No one knew the words to their old stuff. Only the likes of Madness and Survival had people singing and cheering. That album blatantly attracted a bunch of boring tossers.

Anyway, the Barclaycard Arena is the old NIA then is it? Have they done out the interior at all? I saw Prodigy there back in 2009 and it was really run down. There's no way I'd be happy paying £80 for that.

Edited by Reapers

Right okay, my bad.

I thought they renamed the LG to Barclaycard. Apparently the LG is now the Genting Arena (where The 2nd Law gig was held) and yes - It was crap.

There were people just standing around like they never even been to a gig before. Moaning at me for "standing in their way" just because I moved forward (not pushed, moved). No one knew the words to their old stuff. Only the likes of Madness and Survival had people singing and cheering. That album blatantly attracted a bunch of boring tossers.

Anyway, the Barclaycard Arena is the old NIA then is it? Have they done out the interior at all? I saw Prodigy there back in 2009 and it was really run down. There's no way I'd be happy paying £80 for that.

Yes it's the NIA, it was quite run down, it was closed for quite a while, I haven't been myself yet, but it looks quite good, the horrible red seats are gone, more legroom, more places for food/drink/preshow events.

Inside

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4796609,-1.9145222,3a,75y,260.38h,84.38t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sWR_z4A188HgAAAQqbZKapg!2e0!3e2!7i8416!8i4208!6m1!1e1

Then again, the LG Arena/Genting was far worse before the refurbishment, it's was just some scaffold seating and hotdog stands sitting around behind in black draped curtain corridors.

Then again, the LG Arena/Genting was far worse before the refurbishment, it's was just some scaffold seating and hotdog stands sitting around behind in black draped curtain corridors.

I remember that - that was the first ever venue I saw a gig at, all the way back in February 2009. By that December they'd changed it to what it is now and the changes in contrast were fucking nuts.

Right okay, my bad.

That was the gig I got told to sit down. I didn't. It was my first Muse gig and I was too excited to sit still and not dance :LOL:

51784f85-2582-4132-9ebc-2d923223cc39.jpg

5242 Standing, normally 0.4M^2, per person. :LOL:

Guessing green thing is Piano on a lift.

Hello everybody !

I love mathematics and I've made some calculcations : if the picture is in good scale (sorry for my bad english) (based on the fact that there is 0.4 m² per person and 5242 person):

length of the scene (withtout barriers) : 43 meters

width (withtout barriers) : 2,3 meters but 10,3 meters in the center and 6 meters in both arrows.

There are 2 meters between the scene and the barrier (it's relevant).

And eventually, I have calculated the space there is between the first seats and the scene (without the barriers): 13 meters at the top and the bottom here in the picture and 10,5 meters on the right and left sides.

If we consider the scene will be the same everywhere and the moshpit roughly the same (the proportions will be the same), we will be sure to see the band well.

EDIT : I've read somewhere that the scene will be larger than Metallica's scene.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everybody !

I love mathematics and I've made some calculcations : if the picture is in good scale (sorry for my bad english) (based on the fact that there is 0.4 m² per person and 5242 person):

length of the scene (withtout barriers) : 43 meters

width (withtout barriers) : 2,3 meters but 10,3 meters in the center and 6 meters in both arrows.

There are 2 meters between the scene and the barrier (it's relevant).

And eventually, I have calculated the space there is between the first seats and the scene (without the barriers): 13 meters at the top and the bottom here in the picture and 10,5 meters on the right and left sides.

If we consider the scene will be the same everywhere and the moshpit roughly the same (the proportions will be the same), we will be sure to see the band well.

EDIT : I've read somewhere that the scene will be larger than Metallica's scene.

That's some pretty fancy ass maths :stunned:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So im now officially attending the Brum gig along with the 12th & 14th at the O2.

I didn't actually manage to get hold of one of the extra tickets this morning (literally bang on 9:00, click, click, pay... sorry but tickets have sold out) I was so gutted I spent an extra £32 on StubHub... Couldn't afford to but I really do love Muse that much.

I just hope the audience is better than what I experienced during the 2nd Law tour at Coventry.

• 1 month later...