Albums available in audiophile 96kHz/24bit

Finn.

I'm surprised is not in the news section, because is an huge improvement over the old CD releases

http://www.hdtracks.com/absolution-254578

Has anyone bought it yet? Are the albums remastered?

Haven't bought it but plan to. They sound to the naked ear definitely remastered, I saw waveforms a while ago about these and they look like a remaster.

What i wonder is:

1) Why Muse haven't announced this with fireworks. I still think the albums are the heart of a band and having the possibility of download them in very good quality is a great event.

2) Why these downloads are not in this web. They should be here because right now is the more desirable way to listen to the albums (except maybe The Resistance 5.1)

Are they remastered, though?

I'm no sound engineer but the albums sound better. The instruments and the voices are much more clear, tracks like Citizen Erased, Megalomania and Futurism are in a new dimension to me. Now you can hear every single detail.

And Black Holes & Revelations sounds gorgeous, yes, Black Holes & Revelations.

Not sure what to make of this.

Pretty sure it's unofficial, so I can't see how it'd be a proper remaster as you need access to the original master recordings to do that (I think?). That said, some of the songs I've listened to do seem to sound a fair bit clearer and meatier, not sure I fancy paying all that money for them though (or how much of it is placebo).

Edited by Jobby

Most people don't have high-end speakers so it would hardly matter for them. I only have simple Logitech Z-10 speakers. Sound okay, but not high-end.

Ok? Is this a public service announcement or something?

Anyone that has bought them, could they upload a snippet of the waveform/spectograms from a song and a lossless CD rip?

Oh, man, I thought the day would never come. So glad I just saw this. Listening to some of the previews now, and they definitely sound better. Going to have to try and get some of these. If only Hullabaloo Soundtrack was on there and I could get my beloved Hyper Chondriac Music as well, but everything else is on there. Sounds great anyway. Damn it, Muse! :LOL:

Edit - Absolution seems the most noticeably improved to me?

Edited by Bs

Are they remastered, though?

They're from the same master. You can tell by listening closely and noticing that they sound exactly the same.

I'm no sound engineer

No, you aren't, which is why you're easy prey for this consumerist garbage. HD audio is little more than a theoretical improvement, almost never seen in practice and even if it were, demonstrably imperceptible to the human ear, retailing for the simple reason that it creates a cognitive dissonance encouraging you to spend more money.

Take a long, hard read of the following:

http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio-test-part-ii.html?m=1

If that doesn't convince you either way, please feel free to perform your own double-blind listening tests using Foobar. I'd be curious to see your results.

I didn't really notice a ton of improvement from the snippets, but I don't have high quality sound equipment, and the snippets seemed to short for me to make a decision on whether or not the sound was better. Muse aught to just officially release remasters of their worst sounding albums and put them on spotify and the like so I can be sure it sounds better before I drop 20 bucks on it (or maybe I'll just buy the vinyls and see if I like the sound better then...).

Not sure what to make of this.

Pretty sure it's unofficial, so I can't see how it'd be a proper remaster as you need access to the original master recordings to do that (I think?). That said, some of the songs I've listened to do seem to sound a fair bit clearer and meatier, not sure I fancy paying all that money for them though (or how much of it is placebo).

It's not placebo, how could these sites not be getting sued up the ass for profiting from unofficial products that claim to be remasters?

I didn't really notice a ton of improvement from the snippets, but I don't have high quality sound equipment, and the snippets seemed to short for me to make a decision on whether or not the sound was better. Muse aught to just officially release remasters of their worst sounding albums and put them on spotify and the like so I can be sure it sounds better before I drop 20 bucks on it (or maybe I'll just buy the vinyls and see if I like the sound better then...).

You won't be able to hear shit on spotify because it has its own equalizer to combat the loudness wars. It makes bad mixes sound worse and good mixes sound the same

Oh, man, I thought the day would never come. So glad I just saw this. Listening to some of the previews now, and they definitely sound better. Going to have to try and get some of these. If only Hullabaloo Soundtrack was on there and I could get my beloved Hyper Chondriac Music as well, but everything else is on there. Sounds great anyway. Damn it, Muse! :LOL:

Edit - Absolution seems the most noticeably improved to me?

I'd say Absolution is the most improved too, but id also say BHAR now sounds like how it should've sounded from the start.

They're from the same master. You can tell by listening closely and noticing that they sound exactly the same.

No, you aren't, which is why you're easy prey for this consumerist garbage. HD audio is little more than a theoretical improvement, almost never seen in practice and even if it were, demonstrably imperceptible to the human ear, retailing for the simple reason that it creates a cognitive dissonance encouraging you to spend more money.

Take a long, hard read of the following:

http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/24-bit-vs-16-bit-audio-test-part-ii.html?m=1

If that doesn't convince you either way, please feel free to perform your own double-blind listening tests using Foobar. I'd be curious to see your results.

Total bollocks

Total bollocks

Look, if you want sound quality at resolutions and sample rates far beyond what human ears in even the most optimal listening conditions can allow for, be my guest. I get it, I used to swear by lossless audio until I realised it was an oversized load of crap.

By coming into these boards to describe it as a "huge improvement," "much more clear," and as the "more desirable" way to listen, the OP is actively encouraging other people to waste their money on this placebic bullshit, most likely so he can validate his own uncertainty about the matter. That is not ok, and I'm happy to call him out on it.

Like I said, feel free to run some ABX tests and prove me wrong. You know what those are, right?

By coming into these boards to describe it as a "huge improvement," "much more clear," and as the "more desirable" way to listen, the OP is actively encouraging other people to waste their money on this placebic bullshit, most likely so he can validate his own uncertainty about the matter. That is not ok, and I'm happy to call him out on it.

Not at all, i'm giving my opinion, and i prefer the sound of these new files to the old CDs. Take it how you want.

Okay, I posted this challenge over at /r/muse as well.

Here's a link to a comparison of HD Audio and FLAC CD masters of Hysteria and Knights of Cydonia

https://mega.nz/#!fYYlRKYQ!DfcZR6cgOsdzwwf6IvTuLLd6L_sHRXeOc6FQ3P4nc3c

[it's only 1 min of each song]

WITHOUT using a spectral analyser, tell me the timestamps below where the masters change back and forth. It changes multiple times back and forth over each clip. Obvisouly if they have been remastered so obviously, everyone will get the timestamps.

Enjoy