I have no idea what to do with my copious amounts of time so I started work again on my bass from years ago. God I fucked it up a bit then with the router and gluing. I should be able to save it. Time to sand it smooth and then start rounding the edges, which I am terrified about doing with the router but should be okay since I just routed the top edge nicely.

10409074_10154965882870122_1011068209494094920_n.jpg?oh=14c91800b213f329db1b2abecf9ca8fe&oe=551BC2C7&__gda__=1423376692_32b42dd9f424795099cfb41d60b4b374

Holy shit, just rounded it then. Didn't fuck it up. Well, there's a bit of router tear out in one small section but compared to how much I need to salvage it, it's nothing. Really stoked.

EDIT: Here's a pic. The only issue I had is that it dug deep into a soft spot in the spalted maple near the lower cutaway. I'll have to bring it up otherwise it's onto more sanding and the bit I am dreading most... routing the pickup and neck cavities. Then I have the back recess to do and then just sanding, fitting hardware and then oiling the finish.

I almost don't care about the imperfections now. For my first build, I'm happy so far. :D

w7zvNS3.jpg

What on earth is actually going on there :LOL: loving the weight relieved headstock!! Can't believe he is the picture as well if I had anything to do with that I would make sure that I wasn't in the picture and I would be selling it under a different name!!

What on earth is actually going on there :LOL: loving the weight relieved headstock!! Can't believe he is the picture as well if I had anything to do with that I would make sure that I wasn't in the picture and I would be selling it under a different name!!

I think someone tried to make it into a 12 string at one point

I think someone tried to make it into a 12 string at one point

lol

Well it certainly made my day, I think I will have the pictures from this and show them to anyone I know who is un-sure about building a guitar and just simply say "don't worry you can't do worst than this!"

lol

Well it certainly made my day, I think I will have the pictures from this and show them to anyone I know who is un-sure about building a guitar and just simply say "don't worry you can't do worst than this!"

Well he didn't build it.

This one time, someone tried to build a guitar out of an old door...

21kdxjb.jpg

I have no idea what to do with my copious amounts of time so I started work again on my bass from years ago. God I fucked it up a bit then with the router and gluing. I should be able to save it. Time to sand it smooth and then start rounding the edges, which I am terrified about doing with the router but should be okay since I just routed the top edge nicely.

10409074_10154965882870122_1011068209494094920_n.jpg?oh=14c91800b213f329db1b2abecf9ca8fe&oe=551BC2C7&__gda__=1423376692_32b42dd9f424795099cfb41d60b4b374

Holy shit, just rounded it then. Didn't fuck it up. Well, there's a bit of router tear out in one small section but compared to how much I need to salvage it, it's nothing. Really stoked.

EDIT: Here's a pic. The only issue I had is that it dug deep into a soft spot in the spalted maple near the lower cutaway. I'll have to bring it up otherwise it's onto more sanding and the bit I am dreading most... routing the pickup and neck cavities. Then I have the back recess to do and then just sanding, fitting hardware and then oiling the finish.

I almost don't care about the imperfections now. For my first build, I'm happy so far. :D

w7zvNS3.jpg

You should route first, that way you have a nice flat surface for the router to run over.

out of interest, if, hypothetically, someone could print a hollowbody (ala 72 thinline etc) out of carbon fiber composite, and then use a bolt on neck, do you guys reckon it would be strong enough to take the tension of the bridge/strings?

fyi: the composite in question, at 3mm thick is 5 x strength of aluminium, and at 5mm thick, is 8x.

hmmmm, i know that that wood core method is done in the old airline guitars but that was for strength cos the fiberglass couldnt take the tension. That being said, some of the most sought after violins, cellos and double basses are carbon fiber, completely hollow.

I wonder if the guitar that center bit made a bit more solid...

You should route first, that way you have a nice flat surface for the router to run over.

Yeah, that's the plan. Scared as hell to do the neck slot. :LOL:

Just one question. I have a metric ton of the top left over. I'm considering using it as a veneer for the headstock. How will I go about thinning it down to about 1mm thick? I don't have many tools at hand

Oh no.. I think I have got the Glitter bug.

I know.. It's like the Jitter bug but worse.

I've seen the pics Mansons have been throwing up on their facebook page and it's going to influence the finish of my build.

I'm a keen astronomer in my free time and have a couple of telescopes that I bust out on clear nights. So the black glitter galaxy really appeals to me. But then I saw the Red MB without the Midi pad and loved that too.

I hope this is just a phase..

1512077_303947386479625_1024124738355233031_o.thumb.jpg.ad67d5651c2aa57b52a5e9fbe27148c5.jpg

10682443_304578969749800_4269719264225914092_o.thumb.jpg.886aa5ab754783ca759bbbf5a1f0cc91.jpg

Hmm, usually I am not a fan of that glitter on black but that would look pretty now that I have space permanently embedded in my mind when I see it.

Got my neck timber on the way. Australian Red Cedar. That was a tough choice but the colour won me over and it seems to do well for guitar/bass necks cause I did have a bit of fear in me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on bits / switches etc. Planning on wiring it all up and testing to see if this thing actually works. This will also give me time to actually decide on the finish.

I work a lot with offset printers who use big alloy plates in there print process, they are incredibly thin alloy. Thicker than tin foil.. but still able to be cut with a quality craft knife.

If there are any other printer nerds out there it's around 350 - 400gsm.

I stole a few from the team to try and use as a surface.

I'll put my glitter shakers away for now..

IMG_0857.thumb.jpg.5ec8c0a972f240368d2edc25303ebd09.jpg

Yeah it will be pretty close to spot on. Haven't strung it up with the pickups in yet.

I ran string lines from the nut to the bridge and marked the centre of the pickup location to get it as close as possible. Obviously the string spacing at the nut and running down the neck are thinner so it won't be 100%

I've never actually used guitar pickups in a uke so I hope this works..

Haven't looked in here recently, but that looks nice. Definitely one of the most interesting projects since Niel's wangcaster, or the left handed but still right handed but still somehow left handed chrome guitar zooropa built.

Also, still trying to decide what to do with this old dimarzio pickup. Is there a way to tell if the magnet has become weaker? I don't want to replace it completely, as that would be too easy... I imagine it's possible to replace the magnet, but I'll have to see if that requires removing (and possibly breaking) the plastic cover.

Haven't looked in here recently, but that looks nice. Definitely one of the most interesting projects since Niel's wangcaster, or the left handed but still right handed but still somehow left handed chrome guitar zooropa built.

Also, still trying to decide what to do with this old dimarzio pickup. Is there a way to tell if the magnet has become weaker? I don't want to replace it completely, as that would be too easy... I imagine it's possible to replace the magnet, but I'll have to see if that requires removing (and possibly breaking) the plastic cover.

I would have the coils tested first, that's a non destructive test.

Archived