It kinda has a fat ass...

Curves are good though :eyebrows:

That on the other hand is just bottom heavy

...What were we talking about again?

:vomit:

Is this before or after you noticed the pickups?

Also, the remaining parts for the ovation have just arrived... hopefully I'll have it finished up by the end of today. Pics (and maybe a video) soon.

Oh and to the above post, I'll have a closer look. I think the MoC usually joins at around the 16th fret, but I can't remember

1110446-pcb62TI7aiC7jZ_O.png

But yeah, I've just finished up the ovation. a few issues with the wiring at first, but it all appears to be good now. Some of the grounds coming off the switch are not that stable though, so I might redo those at some point. I'll get some pics soon.

Almost feels like an honor to restore this guitar... :shifty: even if it didn't require THAT much. But depending on who it went to, it could've ended up hung on a wall, or modded further.

But does it have mojo?

I wouldn't know, the strings aren't on yet :$ (speaking of that, rotosound has changed their packaging to be like ernie ball's...) But other than that, it's all done. I'm getting the plates from musecasters, but I can still play it without those

But the fact that musecasters is making them will increase the mojo tenfold

It's definitely got a lot of [TGP]battle scars[/TGP] anyway

Nice job, looks great.

I don't like it though :facepalm:

Understandable, no one liked those guitars until Josh Homme started playing them :ninja: Really impressed by the sound of this one... almost tempted to swap out the pickups in the other one.

Is it possible that pickups can actually "die" after several years? or at least become weaker? They both measure (in DC resistance) at exactly what dimarzio spec'd them at, but I don't know

Is it possible that pickups can actually "die" after several years? or at least become weaker? They both measure (in DC resistance) at exactly what dimarzio spec'd them at, but I don't know

Never heard of them fade out to a slow death, I have switched from neck to bridge and killed a rail humbucker instantly before though. Even that's unusual. They are pretty hard to kill.

I hear rumors of an old pickup sitting rusting away in a jar of water in the Seymour Duncan headquaters. Legend says that every few years they pull it out, dry it off and wire it into a guitar for a laugh and a few instagram pics before chucking it back in the jar..

It is possible, the magnets in them can be degaussed, especially if they're alnico. Thy would make them thinner and weaker.

They may also be wound different, how many years since they were made?? Any number of factors may have changed, from magnet type to thickness of the insulation on the winds.

According to dimarzio, they are ceramic.

I don't know. The neck pickups sound very similar to each other, but not the bridge pickup. One sounds like a PAF almost (lots of cutting upper mids, lower output) and the new one sounds a bit more like you'd expect (massive mid heavy sound)

There's just a massive difference in output/volume/etc when switching from neck to bridge on the old one, but the new ones are pretty well balanced. Pickup height is similar as well.

So unless they changed the spec of the bridge pickup only, I don't think it's really that likely. The guitar is 30 years old, so the pickups are around that age.

I'm tempted to swap the original ones out, but I think I'll leave them unless they die completely. After all, we all know I'll end up selling this guitar (maybe)

Degaussed, that's the word I was looking for.

Similar sort of thing if not a fancy name for demagnatisation. I may have even made that word up, spell check doesn't like it at all.

Basically that can happen if you tap ya pick up with a strong magnet, like Witz said.

I'm sure you're not stupid enough to do that. I've heard of somebody cleaning steel filings out from there guitar with a strong magnet and ruining there pups so it does happen by accident though.

Not sure what's happened in the past 30 years to this particular bridge pickup, but I have no idea if they changed the design. All I can say is the DC resistance is the same, but I have no idea about anything else.

I wonder how easy it is to change the magnets.

Nah, not going to risk ruining it...

Speaking of not going to risk ruining things..

I had a turn with the Sustainer Humbucker..

I can't bring myself to do it either.

I had a n array of devices ready to operate but the underside is sealed with a resin (including the wiring which is sealed in the resin). There is a tiny seam with a small join, I couldn't pry it at all.

It's just not worth the risk, sorry to disappoint team.

Any body have a single coil they want to sell/swap before I go back to Fernandes?

1023708636_photo1(1).JPG.c639e97437f45c77e0cf7bfbb9d6c7ea.JPG

1807821357_photo2(3).JPG.0ba21b1e39d34f167f6dd3244bab0c4d.JPG

I got some work done over the weekend.

And then I got too excited and routed a REALLY big hole in it..

Check out my way of getting the recessed lip around the edge..

Just put a bigger bearing on a smaller router bit.

Wow, wondering about how much weight you just saved yourself from carrying :chuckle:

I got some work done over the weekend.

And then I got too excited and routed a REALLY big hole in it..

Check out my way of getting the recessed lip around the edge..

Just put a bigger bearing on a smaller router bit.

i find to keep the router bits staying sharp as long as poss, drill out the bulk of the wood then finish with a router :D

looks good. not much of a lip for the plate fixings though

Haha, yeah that would have been the ticket... Note for next time huh.

The block of wood weighs a ton anyway. Good to get rid of some of it.

And I think I'll just extend the lip that run right angles to fix the plate too.

May have a look at sharpening my router bit before I tackle that job..

IMG_0143.thumb.jpg.37e9858968cfa49c3608ed3c4d3aaed2.jpg

Archived