What is the scale length of the guitar in question? I find that with the 25 1/2" scale, the Slink Hybrid light top heavy bottom 10-52 are okay for D standard. On my Les Paul though, 24 3/4" is a bit too short for D standard and the same strings.

It's mainly the bottom strings that feel a bit loose, so maybe that's why the 10-52s work. I'm thinking of getting these anyway

ROTO-R12.jpg

Hmm ok then. At least you managed to get everything sorted.

How well does that string gauge work for that tuning? I've got one of my guitars in D standard, but it has 11-48 gauge which is a little too loose I've found. I'm thinking a standard 12's set might be a little better (maybe the rotosound purples, which are 12-52)

It's definitely got a decent tension. Although having that tension in a lower tuning takes some getting used to. Standard 12s should do it, I just want to get tension for Drop C so I can still whack it.

It's definitely got a decent tension. Although having that tension in a lower tuning takes some getting used to. Standard 12s should do it, I just want to get tension for Drop C so I can still whack it.

Hmm I think I'll give the roto purples a try, but sidious is right about the wound 3rd string... I'll probably end up replacing that with a plain 22 (which is what I do with the roto 13's I have in C standard on one of my 25.5 scale guitars)

anyhow, got a little project going again. Going to buy a roasted maple neck from these guys... hope it's decent...

http://www.musikraft.com/

Hmm I think I'll give the roto purples a try, but sidious is right about the wound 3rd string... I'll probably end up replacing that with a plain 22 (which is what I do with the roto 13's I have in C standard on one of my 25.5 scale guitars)

anyhow, got a little project going again. Going to buy a roasted maple neck from these guys... hope it's decent...

http://www.musikraft.com/

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hooglebug/Jaicen/Sidious, does anything look unusual about this wiring? neck pickup works fine, but I'm getting really low output from the bridge pickup

ZBpUdGe.jpg

Nothing jumps out at me, so I'm guessing either an 'accidental' ground somewhere (since I'm guessing that paint conducts electricity) or the bridge pickup itself is failing. If that's the case, how do I go about testing it?

Hooglebug/Jaicen/Sidious, does anything look unusual about this wiring? neck pickup works fine, but I'm getting really low output from the bridge pickup

ZBpUdGe.jpg

Nothing jumps out at me, so I'm guessing either an 'accidental' ground somewhere (since I'm guessing that paint conducts electricity) or the bridge pickup itself is failing. If that's the case, how do I go about testing it?

Is the tone cap leg soldered to both the middle AND outer lug of the tone pots? That seems weird to me.

Yeah, on both tone pots. They do seem to work properly though, just the bridge pickup is a bit quieter than expected

I don't think it's the bridge pickup itself though. I measured it and it's a close match to the neck pickup, so I'm assuming it's either normal, or something's up with the wiring.

Maybe the bridge volume pot is failing. The taper is a bit weird too... it rolls off the volume really quickly, so around 2 or so is pretty much silent.

I thought it could be a ground issue, and the front of the pots with the exposed terminals was touching the shielded paint. I don't know if that conducts electricity or not, but I put some electrical tape between them which seemed to affect something. I definitely noticed a change when the pots weren't screwed down.

Oh and for what it's worth, I measured the leg of the bridge tone cap (the side connected to the tone pot) and the back of the tone pot. For some reason it read 19nf or whatever (guessing the cap is 22nf) but if I did this with the neck tone cap, it wouldn't read anything. Don't ask how I found this out, because I don't know.

Now none of them read anything if I measure them the same way after putting the electrical tape in.

That is a really odd thing, the cap on both lugs of the tone put, they should not really work like that. The one lug should be floating free.

Also hard to tell, but for the bridge pick up , how many wires are coming out of it. It looks like more than 2 (Hot and ground). It looks like there is the one which goes to volume pot, then there is what appears to be a bare wire being grounded, but also looks like there is another wire being grounded. If there are more than 2 wires, those extra wires being grounded would probably be causing the guitar to be perma coil split (aka single coil), If the pickups are not covered you can check this by setting to bridge position plugging the guitar into the amp and tapping each coil with something metal such as screw driver. If only one of coils maps a pop sound when the screw driver touches the pole, you are coil tapped and that would explain it.

You can check the pots with a multi meter. probe the middle and one of the outer lugs of the pot. With the pot all the way one way it should be max resistance (300k, 500k, whatever they are). Then as you roll the pot back they should slowly adjust resistance until hitting 0 (grounded).

You can also check for grounding issues with continuity mode on the meter. Just attach the ground probe to the ground lug of the output jack. Touch anything that should be grounded, pot casings, ground lug of the switch (fat thick one) should give a beep. Try touching the areas where the hot signal goes, all those lugs should not beep.

I don't know how to get my DMM to check continuity, but I've switched the capacitors to the correct configuration. Didn't make a massive difference... if anything, the tone controls have more range, and the guitar sounds a tiny bit darker. But I might be imagining that.

Didn't find any other issues, except for the fact that only the tone pots would measure correctly, but I would only get a reading from the volume pots when they were set around 50%, and it would only be at around 118k or something like that. All the way up or down would read zero.

I also messed with the pickup height a little and got it a bit closer, but I can't get the bridge pickup any higher without having it jammed against the strings

This does make me wonder though... Look at the neck pickup height here. Maybe it's normal for it to be loads louder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4KymCOEaN0

1:50

Bridge pickup is set about the same as mine too, maybe a little higher. (but then his action might be higher too)

continuity mode is usually the little symbol that looks like kind of like a Wi-Fi Icon. Sometimes meters do not have that mode, but it can also bet tested with a resistance setting. If you set it to one of the resistance settings, say 1M, if you touch the two probes together, you'll get a reading of 0 (or really close to zero). When they are not touched together you'll get a reading of 1 (no continuity).

Continuity (beep) mode is just nice because it gives a nice beep when a practically zero resistance connection is made between the two probes, much easier to listen for a beep than have to watch the resistance reading.

Archived