here's a good question,

on a guitar with a ff in it, (the mansons ones are perfect examples) how come there's only ever 2 knobs and a switch for a ff? last time i checked, a ff had a muscular 5 knobs. what happens to the other 3?

The other three are replaced by trimpots and mounted in the back of the guitar.

here's a good question,

on a guitar with a ff in it, (the mansons ones are perfect examples) how come there's only ever 2 knobs and a switch for a ff? last time i checked, a ff had a muscular 5 knobs. what happens to the other 3?

3.jpg

What Tom said. You can see the other three poking through the backplate. They don't move unless you want them to, but if you do, are easy to adjust with a plec.

I built a contingency into mine, prepping out the cavity so I could re-mount the Gate and Drive pots through the front if I felt the need. Never have.

ah i see. do you have a guitar with a ff in it? i would like a pic!!!

Nah I don't but I remember seeing a pic of blackie and it had trimpots for the ff in the control cavity if I remember correctly.

On this pic you can just make them out, on the back of the control cavity cover.

muse_guitar_1_back.jpg

Anyone here heard of Yuri Landman? Makes guitars for Sonic Youth and stuff, really experiental luthier. He did a lecture at my college the other day and played some of his guitars for us, well wierd!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Landman

To add to this here's an intrument he made which is a bass and a guitar in one, with the guitar and bass strings going into their own channel.

l_8968d4cecb4c4e33a44813d877906ac1.jpg

Theres a third channel for the higher end of the guitar strings aswell.

sweet. trying to work out how to minimise the number of knobs on the front of the next build. It's going to be that tele i started on. 24 frets, fuzz, sustainer, matte white finish, kill switch.

so as far as i can see, on the front will be:

2 knobs for fuzz,

3 for sustainer, (2 of which replace master tone and volume)

switch for sustainer

switch for fuzz

switch for pickups

switch for kill

i thought this was a bit overkill, borderline banshee with the knobs like, but matt's guitars have nearly more than that... besides, the switches will be small and not noticible. should be ok, right?

edit: think i can reduce the sustainer from 3 to 2 by having a concentric pot for the volume and tone. that makes it a very acceptable 4 (ish)

Because you have 5 overall knobs why not make four of them push/pull so then you wouldn't need any switches. This maybe over-kill but I would at least have the switches for the sustainer and the fuzz as push/pull. The only problem would be getting push/pulls with the value of the potentiometer needed as push/pulls generally only come in 500k and 250k forms. However you can with a bit of tinkering make custom push/pulls by swapping the potentiometer part with the one of the correct size.

i was looking at push pulls. but i dont mind switches really. if you look at any of matts mansons, the switches are FAR more discrete than the knobs. so i'd rather 4 knobs and 3 switches really. besides, the kill switch could be optional.

i was looking at push pulls. but i dont mind switches really. if you look at any of matts mansons, the switches are FAR more discrete than the knobs. so i'd rather 4 knobs and 3 switches really. besides, the kill switch could be optional.

I think the point of push/pulls is that then you can have 4 knobs and no switches.

ok, so the first render is the project as it is most likely to be done. here's the specs:

Tele body with notches

Maple neck, rosewood fretboard

21 frets

black tuners

black wraparound bridge

2 undecided humbuckers

1 fernandes sustainer

1 fuzz (i cant say ff, cos i don't know if it'll be a ff)

Now, the finish. I'd ideally like something like aluminium with rivits, but then i remembered a WAY easier (and probably cheaper) option. See, aluminium is a bitch to cut realistically without the right tools. So the ideal situation is either, an imitation alternative which is easier to cut, or one made and cut to cad drawings.

or, a combination of both. Clickidy! and then onto metal plates. They make custom scratch plates out of aluminium. Now that is a big fat chunk of win right there.

So here's a smallish render of that:

*** SEE PIC 1 BELOW ***

But then, after flicking about on that site, i thought, what if it had that aluminium look, but also, lights. And JUST FOR THE LAUGH, this was born.

*** SEE PIC 2 BELOW ***

personally, that's pretty fucking sinister, in an amazing way. i'd take one home with me.

2.jpg.88daefb6d1f3aa030e3e01f4878db637.jpg

1.jpg.c42493cf6aeb36e0d249b6f3d2413fcc.jpg

Archived