Well.... This thing has an interesting story.

It was going to be a tele, but I glued the flamed maple BACKWARDS. I salvaged it by changing the shape. Two horns instead of one.

Then I went to route the first neck humbucker spot, and my god damn template slipped and put a visible gouge past where the humbucker ring would go, making the screw up extremely obvious. So I had to make matching fancy pickup thingys to try and cover it up.

It will be stained dark dark red, and the sapele parts will be black.

Set of P-Rails. String through.

Sapele neck/ebony.

0903082016.jpg

0903082016a.jpg

0903082016b.jpg

Edit: Here is a better look at what the pickup mount things will look like, i just threw a random humbucker in there.

0903082303.jpg

I'm going to stain the wood of it black :)

I've seen basses actually fit with a pickup casing like that, and I loved every part of this! Just shows how a mistake can turn out really nice.

I doubt it'd get in the way, but I can't tell how much they stick out.

I'm very curious about the result of this one! Red and black should come out looking very nicely.

Are you making the neck yourself too nowadays? If so, have you tried and inlays yet?

Just next time don't fuck up flame maple okiez? :LOL:

Last night my girlfriend was just making EVERY wrong decision that she could have made. So I was just pissed off beyond belief. You know, the kind where you feel the anger and frustration throughout your body. So I had a 6 hour marathon at my shop and pulled that out. So I guess it's for me, hah, unless anyone wants to buy it. It's mostly a therapy piece :happy:

Last night my girlfriend was just making EVERY wrong decision that she could have made. So I was just pissed off beyond belief. You know, the kind where you feel the anger and frustration throughout your body. So I had a 6 hour marathon at my shop and pulled that out. So I guess it's for me, hah, unless anyone wants to buy it. It's mostly a therapy piece :happy:

aw crap.. she bought a pink car, automatic and driving on LPG? :( damn

I kinda regret putting any color on it, but it looked too "nice" before, the maple is too bright of a color wood to leave natural.

The lighting is really, really weird. its 1am, and I just put the oil finish on. First coat.

I couldnt find ANY tru-oil at walmart, weird. So I settled for tung oil. I've heard some things... Since this is just a fun side project (and because I need a guitar, I dont have one now), I experimented. I prefer truoil more, but hey.

0905080056.jpg

0905080057.jpg

0905080059.jpg

The little string things on the back arent lined up by a fraction of an inch. Thank God no one paid for this. Any tips on doing that right? It seems like no matter how precise you think you have it mapped out, it wont go as planned. I can't wait until this one is finished, the p-rails are going to sound amazing.

It's hard to see, but it's amazing how the smallest scratches show up on this flame maple. I thought I sanded the shit out of it. Oh how I was proven wrong.

And she was just doing things without considering how I'd feel about them, hah.

Archived