2016.04.12 - O2 Arena, London, England

forevermusic

We thought it was a fantastic show. They played four out of five of my all time favourites and I liked the others too, it was nice to hear Sunburn. I would like sometime to hear them play Showbiz, but I guess it didn't fit the show overall. We thought the central and satellite stages made the 02 seem really intimate and I have never been as close to the band, even when I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall! The only big mistake we made was to go for the boat back to Embankment. I stupidly thought it would be covered by my travelcard (it wasn't). Then I thought I might get the Travelcard discount (no discounts after 10.30pm). The cost was a massive £8.00 per head and it took ages. We only just made the 00.34 train back home! It was a nice journey but that's all you can say for it. Will NOT be doing it again!

Still loved the show though:D

This show was more about the way it looked for me, and not just the way it sounded. I always love standing but I wanted a seat for this one so I could take in the whole thing.

But no doubt wherever you were in the arena you would have enjoyed it. A lot of people were standing in their seats anyway.

Yeah I was standing in my seat. Before it started I asked the people behind me if they minded and they didn't. I used to go standing bec I like being in the thick of it but I'm so tiny that not only do I not see, but the sound gets muffled. Had great seats front row opposite the central stage.

After 60 + Muse gigs over the years I thought I only cared about the music. Didn't think anything could top the small Psycho gigs last year. Wasn't looking forward to the central stage set up. But the visuals for this tour are stunning and have really enhanced my experience.

Understand re the dodgy body parts, but chair dancing is like sex without the orgasm

Love it! My knees are dodgy too, but having sat through the opening number, we just had to stand and dance for Psycho, and everyone around us started standing up too. However, there were plenty of quieter moments where we could sit for a bit too!:)

We thought the central and satellite stages made the 02 seem really intimate and I have never been as close to the band, even when I saw them at the Royal Albert Hall!

Same here! And "intimate" is never a word I thought I'd be using with the O2, which I normally detest. We decided that we were about half the distance from the stage than we were in Shepherd's Bush Empire a few years back, which is going something!

It was my 8th gig and I honestly can't remember feeling that much like a giddy kid since my first one in 2010. Top gig imo, can't wait for what might happen at the next two.

My 8th too! And, as Facebook bizarrely reminded me yesterday morning, 8 years to the day since my inaugural gig at the RAH - surreal...

Although it meant we missed both supports instead of just one, we were actually pleased that they were taking security so seriously.

Same here. Wasn't necessarily looking forward to the supports, but a bit hacked off that we wasted so much time in that queue and arrived just in time to hear Phantagram say "thank you London" - toss! And still not sure if it was "security" or "removing everyone's food/drinks so they'll drive revenue"....

Edited by AlecSp

We thought the central and satellite stages made the 02 seem really intimate

Totally agree, and who would've thought it could be possible in this big arena. This for me has been a bonus in creating a great atmosphere for these O2 gigs. There may have been fewer attempts at creating moshpits on the floor, but actually, those pits only serve a few people who want to charge at each other, like demented toddlers, while annoying the hell out of everyone else close-by.

It's seems so ridiculous you can't take one small bottle in, how is it hurting g anyone?! I'm not gonna buy their water so it don't work!!

This seems to be one of those times when the excuse of 'security' is used to pump up the venue's profits. Although I guess the advantage of an outright ban is that the door staff don't have to check whether the clear liquid in your bottle is what you say it is.

Mind you if security is the be-all and end-all, why was the metal detector wand being used seemingly at random??

Great gig. We were on level 4 this time almost dead centre so great view of the stage and screens, but felt a bit, ummm, disconnected maybe. It's such a different experience, maybe more like watching a movie of the gig than going to it. Glad we tried it but back to standing next time. Good to hear Sunburn again too - but maybe like someone said up there, a bit more setlist rotation and rarities would be cool - esp on a long residency where you just know some fans are gonna go more than once. :)

Edited by Citizen Crazed

There may have been fewer attempts at creating moshpits on the floor, but actually, those pits only serve a few people who want to charge at each other, like demented toddlers, while annoying the hell out of everyone else close-by.

Heaven forbid - someone actually speaking the truth... ;)

In hindsight spending £2.50 on bottled water twice... probably not a good idea. The queues were that long that it seemed easier but now I kinda regret it. :chuckle:

Already got two more than we got in Belfast.

Pretty sure Belfast got 17 too. Unless you're refusing to count the helping of Resistance and UD. But what I'm counting is the 45 minute gap between Phantogram ending and Muse starting... well, unless they needed that time to make sure the drones were functioning properly.

But what I'm counting is the 45 minute gap between Phantogram ending and Muse starting... well, unless they needed that time to make sure the drones were functioning properly.

May have been bec there were still massive queues still trying to get into the arena, logjammed at security. Could see them from the bar, just before Muse were due on.

May have been bec there were still massive queues still trying to get into the arena, logjammed at security. Could see them from the bar, just before Muse were due on.

Tbf, I'm guessing that didn't help - they looked rammed when I got there. Odd contrast mind, given there was that and yet I walked straight into the standing arena just as Phantogram were starting with no queue at all.

Oh and we were so annoyed with the security guy in front of us. People on the opposite side had signs hanging over the barrier and we had the protester's flag with us from the Resistance tour but were not allowed to let it show at all or even raise it up to our necks. :(

Great gig, spoilt only by selfish morons who bought seats then stood, so that those behind who couldn't stand properly, weren't able to see.

Thanks.

This was our view: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138617487@N06/shares/n0AM0P

I had this too. They kept standing all the time, we couldn't stand up because there were people behind us. Ignorant twats, if you want to stand, buy standing. Pretty simple, really.

Actually it's not as simple as that.

The seats at the O2 are extremely uncomfortable for anyone who is above 4ft 6 or who need a knee replacement (I qualify for both).

In our case, block 112, I knew I would need to stand for some of it, and would need to sit for some of it (I'm recovering from an Achilles' tendon operation).

I spoke to those around me before the gig and we all reached a consensus. I had asked the security guy if I could stand at the back (we were only one row from the back) and he told me no. He said that I should stand in my seat as it was encouraged and most do it anyway.

So I did, and so did everyone around us.

I had to sit down some times too, and my view was impaired during these parts, but I would never be arrogant enough to call someone an ignorant twat for not doing what I want to do.

What gives you the right to be so condescending and unpleasant?

I could argue that no-one goes to a muse gig to sit down, but I prefer to be understanding that everyone has different preferences and needs and not insult them because they aren't doing what I want them to do.

As well as the excellent point made above, I'd also like to add that it's not as simple as "if you want to stand, buy a standing ticket". Some people, like myself, WOULD very much like to get a standing ticket but have to settle for seated because standing tickets might be sold out or be unaffordable. There are only so many to go around. These people shouldn't have to enjoy the gig any less than they want to.

the security guy... said that I should stand in my seat as it was encouraged and most do it anyway.

It's stated on the tickets that people in the seated areas may stand, but I didn't know that it was encouraged. I wonder if this comes from O2 management as an unofficial thing?

... to give a livelier concert experience? (good for U-tube clips)

... or to save wear and tear from bottom-bouncing on those flimsy seats?

I had this too. They kept standing all the time, we couldn't stand up because there were people behind us. Ignorant twats, if you want to stand, buy standing. Pretty simple, really.

I thought security would be hot on it like a lot of venues for "safety reasons" Unfortunately the o2 seem to allow/encourage standing in seated areas, I also bought seated tickets in Block 103 on the 11th. Had people just standing there, one person was reached over too and jabbed in the neck gently while being shouted at as they were just watching through their damn phone.

I realise people want to stand because they didn't get standing tickets, guess what not everyone does. I'm not 20 anymore, I can't stand 5-6 hours without needing a piss or getting stiff knees, I'll quite happily be comfy and take in the show. If you're going to stand and the people behind you are seated, it's a dick/selfish move, deal with the people in front of you instead.

I can't say I had problems getting in on the 11th, mind I did use the o2 Priority bar, IKEA like bathroom and your own private stairs that came out at Block 102.

Edited by Green Mamba

That was probably the most average Muse gig I've ever seen, started off well but just went off the boil as soon as they got to SMBH and never really got it back. Mercy was surprisingly good and the Globalist was better than I expected but the old stuff is still the same old stuff with no surprises at all :(

Were you at the same gig as me?! Sunburn made me shit my pants! Also the 'same old same old' is what most people there want to hear.

I really enjoyed that :happy: Went in with fairly low expectations and ended up having a great time. Was stood near the back(ish) with my mate, we still had a great view and we ended up absolutely dancing our arses off! Setlist was pretty decent to me but I haven't been following the other gigs/sets too closely so that probably helped. Sunburn was a very nice surprise! Take a Bow also sounded INCREDIBLE. Even enjoyed TIRO and PIB and I'm normally sick to death of those :LOL:

Curious to see how many pictures/videos I accidentally end up in - another friend of mine posted a picture on fb from where she was sat in block 101 and I (wearing a bright yellow shirt and about 20 glowsticks) stick out like a sore thumb :LOL:

RE. the water situation - yes you can ask for a free cup of tap water from any of the bars/food areas inside.

*waves* All of what you said, plus having the best seats in the house IMO, perfect view of the piano and visuals, not too high up, amazing.

As with Monday night' date=' we were the first to stand up in our block. Felt a little bit self-conscious at first and praying there'd be no tap on the shoulder but within about 5 seconds the music took over and we didn't care. It's Muse for crying out loud, not Katie Melua! [b']What is it with people sitting all the way through a Muse gig? I just don't get it. They're dead inside I reckon...[/b]

Actually the friend I was with was pregnant and the bairn was taking exception to the noise, and she'd fought off a migraine earlier... not that anyone should have to justify why they sit or stand to anyone else...

I meant to ask this as well. What was with the huge queues to get in? Thankfully I left a bit earlier than usual last night, or I think I'd have missed the start. Got there around 8:10 and the queues at both entrance B and H (where I was) were unbelievable. The stewards walking up and down the queues seemed confused and annoyed by it too as everybody was complaining at them. Shoutout to the steward who kept shouting "I'm just a human with blood and veins, I feel the pain too!" :LOL:

Bless!!

It was my 8th gig and I honestly can't remember feeling that much like a giddy kid since my first one in 2010. Top gig imo, can't wait for what might happen at the next two.

Woohoo!! So glad you had fun! :D

Some of us are old and have got dodgy knees, so a comfy seat is something to be cherished :p

Sitting doesn't prevent shouting, singing and clapping, along with a bit of foot stomping and nodding! :D

This show was more about the way it looked for me, and not just the way it sounded. I always love standing but I wanted a seat for this one so I could take in the whole thing.

But no doubt wherever you were in the arena you would have enjoyed it. A lot of people were standing in their seats anyway.

yeah... I bought seats for this one and Dublin, and standing for the two in Manchester. I wanted the different experience and was going with different people. My daughter's boyfriend isn't a Muser and was going for the spectacle, no point getting a standing ticket for him, also he's 6'summat so someone would have been complaining about being behind the tall bastard... Manchester was great, fantastic mosh, but if you're at the barrier you don't get to see the whole thing. This one, my friend and I both suffer from migraines and dodgy hips and after 3 gigs already I expected to be a bit knackered in my dotage, and then I bought the tickets and she found out she was pregnant. So she stayed sat, and I jumped up and down for the ones that I wanted to jump up and down at. And having been made to sit down in Dublin, I can tell you with some authority, I think, that people standing in the seats makes a HUGE difference to the atmosphere in the gig. Huge.

Like I said above though, not that anyone should have to justify why they sit or stand, or buy seats or standing tickets. I could quite easily say 'if you don't want to jump about at a rock gig, watch the DVD' but I won't...

I was in a seat on 11/04. People stood for some songs. On one occasion two people stood up for one I'd stood up for so I was fine but, when that song ended and I sat down, I couldn't see. I asked the man in front if he would sit down as I couldn't see..'Well, stand up, then!' he said, quite politely. I told him I couldn't and he sat down. Next time a lot of people stood up, he didn't. Matt was on the diamond stage so I could see him and I told the man to stand if he wanted to. If people are polite and willing to compromise, it shouldn't be a problem. I enjoyed standing up for the few songs where i was able to but I don't think people in seats should stand all the way through, unless everyone behind them is okay with that.

Re security: a female security guard frisked my son but not me. I asked her if she needed to frisk me and she said: 'I can't.' No idea why, possibly because I was in a wheelchair. She didn't even ask if I could have stood up. I'm always searched when travelling by plane. I wish security people would do things properly or not at all.

It's stated on the tickets that people in the seated areas may stand, but I didn't know that it was encouraged. I wonder if this comes from O2 management as an unofficial thing?

... to give a livelier concert experience? (good for U-tube clips)

... or to save wear and tear from bottom-bouncing on those flimsy seats?

I don't think it's encouraged more the norm for most shows.

Having done seats I get annoyed that my enjoyment is limited by those people who insist on sitting all the way through. I sat through some of Green Day because I had to. But I didn't insist anyone else sit down in front of me- it's a rock/Pop show not the opera

And yes the o2 seats are bloody uncomfortable

Whether to stand or not is always a tricky one, and it's whether the venue allows you to or not. As I was in row T for this I didn't think we'd be allowed to stand and even if it was allowed I didn't think most people would want to, being so high! People next to me and in front were seated right until the very end. I think it was the encore the people in front stood up so I checked behind me and no one was sitting there so I stood up. The people either side stood at the same time. No one seemed to have any issues with standing. It was a different story the last time I saw a band at Wembley Arena. A song came on I really liked, I stood up and the person behind me promptly tapped me on the shoulder so I sat down and stayed sitting the whole time. Yes, standing/GA is huge fun, but sometimes you might only be able to get a seated ticket, and sometimes you might just want a seat so you can take the weight off your feet during the slow songs (maybe it's been a long day at work). Anyway no one should have a problem with a polite tap on the shoulder.

Edited by Miss Minkey