The official The Resistance love-thread! :)

So since I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in my love of The Resistance, and since I feel it gets unfairly underrated and pooped upon around here, I've decided what this album really deserves is a thread dedicated to discussion and fanning about how great of an album it is! :D

As such, please don't post here unless you have something positive to say about this album. If you would like to express your negativity towards it, pretty much every other thread on the board welcomes you to do so. Here, however, is intended to be a safe haven for those brave Musers who would like to discuss this album's finer details in positivity, with perhaps a healthy level of constructive criticism.

In short: I love The Resistance, and I would love to discuss it here with others who feel the same, or at least others who feel the same about some part of this wonderful album!

Let the love-thread begin! :D

I'll start off with my personal ranking of the songs (counting Exo as one song because it should be):

United States Of Eurasia / Collateral Damage (Excerpt from Nocturne in E-Flat, Op. 9 No. 2)

Exogenesis: Symphony

MK Ultra

Uprising

Undisclosed Desires

Resistance

I Belong To You / Mon cœure s'ouvre à ta voix

Unnatural Selection

Guiding Light

To be fair, I love GL and US. They've just worn off on me a little bit.

I recently went through all albums to recommend songs to a not (yet :LOL:) Muse fan - and I realised that I love more songs from the album than I remembered.

Resistance, Unnatural Selection, Uprising, MK Ultra are all very catchy, I remember Undisclosed Desires very fondly for the barrier walk during the last tour ( :D ), and I love USoE and Exogenesis because I'm a huge piano fan. Even the much hated Guiding Light can be nice to listen to. I only sometimes cringe a bit during IBtY.

So yes, I like it. ;)

TR was my first Muse album. I heard Cross Pollination on my first listen through and that little intro piano part was the thing that made me think "This band means business"

Resistance was one of the first songs where I really thought "This is my favorite song by favorite band" and while it's not my favorite anymore it's definitely still in my top 10!

This album has only good songs

I recently went through all albums to recommend songs to a not (yet :LOL:) Muse fan - and I realised that I love more songs from the album than I remembered.

Resistance, Unnatural Selection, Uprising, MK Ultra are all very catchy, I remember Undisclosed Desires very fondly for the barrier walk during the last tour ( :D ), and I love USoE and Exogenesis because I'm a huge piano fan. Even the much hated Guiding Light can be nice to listen to. I only sometimes cring a bit during IBtY.

So yes, I like it. ;-)

Yay! The Resistance was my first Muse album and I'm sure many of the songs from this album would be perfect for the not (yet) Muse fan to get hooked on. I'm now very jealous of you for having seen UD live, but at least I have the DVD show me the awesomeness that I missed.

TR was my first Muse album. I heard Cross Pollination on my first listen through and that little intro piano part was the thing that made me think "This band means business"

Resistance was one of the first songs where I really thought "This is my favorite song by favorite band" and while it's not my favorite anymore it's definitely still in my top 10!

This album has only good songs

*high five* I knew you'd be around here eventually! Absolutely agreed! I wasn't sure I was going to like the album very much as I first started listening to it (I of course already knew Uprising), but as soon as I heard the uber-catchy backing vocals in Resistance I knew I was in for a treat. :D

Speaking of the title track, I just love that bit at the end where the chord progression changes a bit and Matt gets all emotional. "Take us awaaaaaaay from here! Protect us from fuuuurther harm! Ree sis ta-i-uh-unce!" (Quoting the falsetto from the live version because it's the perfect cherry on top that so should've been on the studio version, minor quibble though).

*high five* I knew you'd be around here eventually! Absolutely agreed! I wasn't sure I was going to like the album very much as I first started listening to it (I of course already knew Uprising), but as soon as I heard the uber-catchy backing vocals in Resistance I knew I was in for a treat. :D

Speaking of the title track, I just love that bit at the end where the chord progression changes a bit and Matt gets all emotional. "Take us awaaaaaaay from here! Protect us from fuuuurther harm! Ree sis ta-i-uh-unce!" (Quoting the falsetto from the live version because it's the perfect cherry on top that so should've been on the studio version, minor quibble though).

Yeah people said TR was less emotional than other Muse albums and I was like what the hell are you talking about?

Reading some of the pages from this is pretty funny: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=64191&highlight=resistance&page=151

I neither love nor hate it, I just think it's pretty clinical sounding and average.

Lolz. Asking what happened to all the classical influences on what may be Muse's most classically influenced album. Shows just how little thirty second samples will give you.

What you hear as a "clinical" sound I think sounds totally symphonic and blissful. The overall soundscape of this album is something I love much more than any of the individual songs.

Yeah people said TR was less emotional than other Muse albums and I was like what the hell are you talking about?

Exactly. I think people were just hoping Matt's voice would stay young and prone to out of control shrieking forever, but instead it matured, took on a more operatic quality, and has been growing ever more emotional (on a side note, DRONES is proof enough that Matt has never lost his emotional capabilities as a singer).

"Take us awaaaaaaay from here! Protect us from fuuuurther harm! Ree sis ta-i-uh-unce!" (Quoting the falsetto from the live version because it's the perfect cherry on top that so should've been on the studio version, minor quibble though).

nonononono

Him backing out of doing that note is one of the reasons it's so wank live.

Exactly. I think people were just hoping Matt's voice would stay young and prone to out of control shrieking forever, but instead it matured, took on a more operatic quality, and has been growing ever more emotional (on a side note, DRONES is proof enough that Matt has never lost his emotional capabilities as a singer).

Pretty sure it's more to do with the production as opposed to his singing technique.

Ah, sadly I didn't reach far enough over the barrier, but I remember being really fangirly about it. :LOL:

Okay, well now I'm a little less jealous. Of course it doesn't help that Muse are continuing not to announce any American dates for the tour, just hinting that it will be this winter or something. I wanna see Muse live dang it!

nonononono

Him backing out of doing that note is one of the reasons it's so wank live.

Pretty sure it's more to do with the production as opposed to his singing technique.

Hm, well I love both versions, but the ascending falsetto bit gets my vote.

Probably the production has much to do with it as well, you're right. Nevertheless Matt's always been a great singer, and so far has only ever gotten better!

Another random tidbit (decided to listen to TR since I was already thinking so much about it), I've always adored the way Matt sings the verses in Uprising. Best part of the song IMO, of course the whole thing is great! His delivery of those lines is just so effective for me, very similar feelings towards his delivery of the verses of TiRO, my fav Muse song.

I'll start off with my personal ranking of the songs (counting Exo as one song because it should be):

United States Of Eurasia / Collateral Damage (Excerpt from Nocturne in E-Flat, Op. 9 No. 2)

MK Ultra

Uprising

Undisclosed Desires

Resistance

Unnatural Selection

Guiding Light

To be fair, I love GL and US. They've just worn off on me a little bit.

Actually, now that I'm listening through again, UD is much more awesome than I must've remembered when I made this list. So, so, so...perfect. Now adjusting list:

Undisclosed Desires

MK Ultra

Uprising

Resistance

Unnatural Selection

Guiding Light