Best and Worst Muse Track Transitions/Sequences

TheLionSlicer

Name the album track transitions that you thought did/didn't work. The tracks don't have to go directly into each other. It can be just two tracks or a whole series of tracks that work together (don't be that guy who says the entirety of OoS)

Bonus question: Do you think Muse is good at ordering track listings or not?

Example:

Good:

FAWY -> Interlude -> Hysteria

Screenager -> Darkshines

City of Delusion -> Hoodoo -> Knights of Cydonia

Bad:

TaB -> Starlight

SFA -> SS -> FAWY

Post away!

Not always, unfortunately.

Survival -> Follow Me -> Animals has a bit of a forced flow, for example.

In BHAR, the sudden start of Starlight after the electric fuzz closing that beast named Take A Bow is indeed bizarre, sort of.

In The Resistance, the title-track and Uprising should've been swapped, in my opinion.

These are just some examples that come to my mind.

Not always, unfortunately.

Survival -> Follow Me -> Animals has a bit of a forced flow, for example.

In BHAR, the sudden start of Starlight after the electric fuzz closing that beast named Take A Bow is indeed bizarre, sort of.

In The Resistance, the title-track and Uprising should've been swapped, in my opinion.

These are just some examples that come to my mind.

uprising is a miles better opener, unless you opened the album with another song

SFA > Stockholm > FAWY

Hysteria > Blackout

TSP > Endlessy

TOADA > RBS

Absolution's full of 'em tbh, it's a pretty poorly flowing album. Surprised no one's mentioned MOTP > Soldier's Poem yet as well, that's probably the worst offender imo.

Aftermath > The Globalist is pretty boss, as is Overture > Cross Pollination

TaB > Starlight sounds fine for the record, too.

I agree on your Aftermath > The Globalist and Overture > CP

I think the transition from TaB > Starlight is just about the weirdest album transition I've ever heard. It's just very sudden idk. I just don't like it

Citizen Erased>Micro Cuts was boss, Screenager>Dark Shines wasnt half bad either. I'm a big fan of how Exo flows and Reapers>The Handler>Defector is probably the best trio they've ever done.

The aforementioned MOTP>Soldier's Poem is pretty atrocious, it's part of the reason why I always end up skipping Soldier's Poem anytime it pops up. Not a big fan of Small Print>Endlessly>TOADA either.

But I don't think Muse is all that bad at album flow, people give them a lot of shit but they're not the worst offenders on the planet. I kind of like the stark contrasts sometimes because it keeps an album fresh, sometimes it gets exhausting listening to the similar flowing tracks for a long period of time. Helps they're brilliant musicians as well.

Best: All of OoS until Feeling Good basically

:yesey:

Inferior song, the album really didn't need it at all. I think the album would have been better without it (didn't even need a replacement tbh, although an obvious one would be Futurism). Really don't know why they didn't make Feeling Good a b side, I've always HATED that track

The aforementioned MOTP>Soldier's Poem is pretty atrocious, it's part of the reason why I always end up skipping Soldier's Poem anytime it pops up.

Really? I've always thought the gap in sound between the two songs marks a sort of excellent transition leading to a new "chapter" of the album.

The stark difference between that electro-rock pounding storm, and the following delicate acoustic and choral approach hits me every time.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Some of the best to me

- Space Dementia > Hyper Music > Plug In Baby > Citizen Erased

- Eurasia + Collateral Damage > Guiding Light > Unnatural Selection > MK Ultra

- City Of Delusion > Hoodoo > Knights Of Cydonia

Some of the worst to me

- Take A Bow > Starlight (Should have been SMBH or MOTP after TAB)

- Showbiz > Unintended

- MK Ultra > I Belong To You

- Most of Absolution

Oh yea. And I don't hate JFK > Defector either. :love:

Makes a lot more sense than JFK -> Uprising that they do live, but then most of their live transitions don't make much sense either! :chuckle: