Can anyone tell why organisers on tv shows or a show like this force the artists to mime? There must be a good reason, mistakes would not be the organiser's problem. I would guess practical reasons related with gear... Better knowledge anyone? I also don't quite understand why it's so hateful for a band.

The link that CarrieB sent was the best quality (and downloaded fastest), thanks for that.

Matt looked really angry, even when they finished. I wonder whether he was so pissed off of having to mime the guitar, or whether there was something more serious going on, like that he was disappointed at the level of attention the official olympic song got. Dom obviously had fun watching all the knee sliding :LOL:

Can anyone tell why organisers on tv shows or a show like this force the artists to mime? There must be a good reason, mistakes would not be the organiser's problem. I would guess practical reasons related with gear... Better knowledge anyone? I also don't quite understand why it's so hateful for a band.

Mistakes are a big part. There's less of a chance if it's all on playback for both performance and technical reasons.

There is less chance of a mistake in playback? Seems to me like there would be No chance.

There could be an issue with the playback itself (but again, that's one playback compared to a bunch of mic'd instruments). I'm counting technical errors into this too.

Or you could end up with some Radiohead cover band that can't mime for shit.

I don't think it was the studio album track. It was extremely hard to hear at times, but it did sound different.

And an article about the miming (not referring to Muse) said that bands were recording a "live track" to use in the Ceremony.

I would assume based on how long it takes to set up and soundcheck all the crap at concerts, that that might have been a logistical problem at such a rushed event like this?

No no, my source actually saw George and Muse going out of the same room in the AIR studios after rehearsing a song sounding like New Order (for the 5 seconds she was actually able to hear anything)

It was probably Muse performing Madness for George Michael to listen. After the way the media described the song, this makes perfect sense.

The link that CarrieB sent was the best quality (and downloaded fastest), thanks for that.

Matt looked really angry, even when they finished. I wonder whether he was so pissed off of having to mime the guitar, or whether there was something more serious going on, like that he was disappointed at the level of attention the official olympic song got. Dom obviously had fun watching all the knee sliding :LOL:

I don't think Matt's angry expression was genuine :LOL: just him getting into the mood of the song! And Dom seemed to really enjoy it yes <3 and chris in his mental floppy head way

A little comment which I find hilarious but somehow true.

What were Muse up to though? Matthew Bellamy chucking himself all over the shop as usual...Can't do that in the Olympic Stadium, it's about the athletes and volunteers, not you. Plus the lyrics appeared to be taken from some soviet era mantra. Seemed to go something like "I'll fuck you up...You'll not shit on me...Because I'll tear you a new hole...You piece of shit...I'll fuck you up!" repeat ad-infinitum (I may have exaggerated for comic effect here)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=94161963&postcount=262

That is pretty odd. It was a celebration of the athletes and the games but also of British culture and music. Who cares what theatrics Bellamy (or any entertainer) put on.

Hmm, indeed. I find that comment a bit irritating to be honest. Especially after the lack of attention Muse have received over THE OFFICIAL SONG! What was he meant to do? Make himself invisible so as not to offend "superior beings"?! :rolleyes:

Plus if anyone had taken any notice of what the song was actually about, they might have been a little bit more clued up.

Guest bellamylookalike
Matthew Bellamy chucking himself all over the shop as usual...Can't do that in the Olympic Stadium, it's about the athletes and volunteers, not you.

I suppose the Spice Girls atop of five themed black cabs and Fatboy Slim in a huge inflatable Octopus were "about the athletes and volunteers" then.

So was the backing track a real studio recording? Because it definitely didn't sound like it in parts.

As what others have mentioned, they recorded a live version and that was played back (The Who did the same (and elbow I suppose) )

still sounded great though also Morgan getting a higher billing than Muse was brilliant :LOL:

Archived