I thought it was great.

I've been hearing this really loud with headphones and I think Matt nailed it.

I think the TV coverage screw it...

Try this ones from the perspective of one person in the stadium:

It has potential to be massive live! :D

Da lites are purdy

Looking at it again it doesn't sound quite as bad as it did before, maybe it was just the BBC's mixing...

I thought it was great.

I've been hearing this really loud with headphones and I think Matt nailed it.

I think the TV coverage screw it...

Try this ones from the perspective of one person in the stadium:

This is exactly what I thought. I haven't listened to the YouTubes posted here yet but the ones I have it has sound much better and it also sounds a lot better on the download showing footage from TV station other than the BBC.

He didn't have time to finish a line as he moved from the piano to the front of the stage, and I thought there were a couple of notes at around the line "I'll reveal my strength to the whole human race" which usually his vocal would have sounded smoother, it sounded a bit forced, but the falsetto was brilliant.

And really, even if there were a couple of hiccups, or Matt's vocal wasn't at its best, I think it's not unreasonable that nerves would get in the way a bit with such a high profile performance. No amount of practice can stem nerves. Most professional performers continue to experience them, I think, on the big events and you couldn't get much bigger than that.

Another thing I have thought about was that the whole event seemed rather flat. Matt has said before that he has learnt to channel the nerves to produce adrenaline which improves his performance, but that kind of adrenaline is surely also related to excitement. I'm not sure watching a load of cringey or dull performances would have the same positive effect. I mean at some points I was even feeling a bit embarrassed for Muse at being involved. So if he had been watching it on the tv, back stage, that added to the lack of opportunity to play live may not have helped matters.

But that's just speculation. Overall, it actually sounds great on the download and I think it probably sounded brilliant in the actual stadium.

I thought there were a couple of notes at around the line "I'll reveal my strength to the whole human race" which usually his vocal would have sounded smoother, it sounded a bit forced, but the falsetto was brilliant.

Considering how high it is he did a good job. "Usually" he doesn't even sing stuff that high so.

The guitar was mimed, but the track the used wasn't the studio version.

EDIT: Make me double post :fear:

It was a different guitar track. Tone was very different.

:) Ya I deleted my post. Was too tired to continue posting.

Considering how high it is he did a good job. "Usually" he doesn't even sing stuff that high so.

Well I wasn't talking about the falsetto. I thought that sounded brilliant and very pure, better than some falsetto he has done before. A couple of lower notes sounded a little strained. I don't know if they were in a higher pitch than he would normally sing.

I was disappointed for them more than anything that it wasn't completely perfect but it shows their high standards that we nitpick over the slightest thing. I think it is a difficult song to sing and fair play to him for singing it live for the first time in such a high pressure environment. I think Matt gave it his all.

I must say after reading countless forums and articles about muse's closing ceremony performance. This forum has been by far the most negative. Every other one has said how muse rocked the house, the radio station i listen too (In Florida, US) was saying how it was the best performance of the night. And i come to muse.mu (where i spend entirely to much time) cuz i feel like a share stuff in common with the members and its all... It sounded bad....Matt was too nervous... He couldnt mime the guitar. COME ON he isnt good at miming the guitar because he plays live like a bad@$$:logic: Everyone needs to just be proud of what these guys have accomplished. I'm just exited MUSE IS BACK:logic

I must say after reading countless forums and articles about muse's closing ceremony performance. This forum has been by far the most negative. Every other one has said how muse rocked the house, the radio station i listen too (In Florida, US) was saying how it was the best performance of the night.

Very pleased to hear that. :happy:

I think people are expecting way too much from Muse, in my own opinion they have done a pretty amazing job at the Closing Ceremony, i´ve rewatched Muse quite often again how they did there, and i can´t say much negative, i´m just happy they showed up, and it didn´t sound horrible at all.

Well I wasn't talking about the falsetto. I thought that sounded brilliant and very pure, better than some falsetto he has done before. A couple of lower notes sounded a little strained. I don't know if they were in a higher pitch than he would normally sing.

I was disappointed for them more than anything that it wasn't completely perfect but it shows their high standards that we nitpick over the slightest thing. I think it is a difficult song to sing and fair play to him for singing it live for the first time in such a high pressure environment. I think Matt gave it his all.

When did I say anything about falsetto? :erm:

You can sing high without falsetto, you know? I'm talking about the line you mentioned. "I'll reveal my strength to the whole human race"

I must say after reading countless forums and articles about muse's closing ceremony performance. This forum has been by far the most negative. Every other one has said how muse rocked the house, the radio station i listen too (In Florida, US) was saying how it was the best performance of the night. And i come to muse.mu (where i spend entirely to much time) cuz i feel like a share stuff in common with the members and its all... It sounded bad....Matt was too nervous... He couldnt mime the guitar. COME ON he isnt good at miming the guitar because he plays live like a bad@$$:logic: Everyone needs to just be proud of what these guys have accomplished. I'm just exited MUSE IS BACK:logic

There is at least one of these rants every day here lol. Personally I couldn't care if he doesn't know how to mime. I am pretending that he did it on purpose.

There is at least one of these rants every day here lol. Personally I couldn't care if he doesn't know how to mime. I am pretending that he did it on purpose.

And people who don't know Muse and their little pranks are now saying 'lol and that dude can't even pretend to play guitar lol'

Well, I've seen Muse live twenty times since 2003 and last night, Matt's vocals were the worst I've heard them.

It's not so much they were really bad, just not at all good in comparison to his usual standard. I know there are videos of him singing out of tune at other gigs but this one stood-out for me.

They certainly didn't give the best performance of the night.

'We've had discussions with the organisers about ideas on how to perfrorm this live...'

So they just went.. 'hmm lets have... flame throwers... Job done, let's go home.'

Well, I've seen Muse live twenty times since 2003 and last night, Matt's vocals were the worst I've heard them.

It's not so much they were really bad, just not at all good in comparison to his usual standard. I know there are videos of him singing out of tune at other gigs but this one stood-out for me.

They certainly didn't give the best performance of the night.

Exactly. We're only negative because we know they are capable of far better.

When did I say anything about falsetto? :erm:

You can sing high without falsetto, you know? I'm talking about the line you mentioned. "I'll reveal my strength to the whole human race"

Oh okay. Actually I realised that is probably what you meant after I posted.

Indeed. When did how well he can mime become important?! Bloody hell, I don't really want to get to the point that we have to worry about it. :LOL:

Though I also noticed that someone complained that he didn't shave....

Edited by CarrieB

Indeed. When did how well he can mime become important?! Bloody hell, I don't really want to get to the point that we have to worry about it. :LOL:

because you look like a twat if you can't even remember that you're suppose to pretend to play the guitar part of your own song.

And people who don't know Muse and their little pranks are now saying 'lol and that dude can't even pretend to play guitar lol'

Since when are we supposed to care what other people that don't know the band say about his ability to mime songs? Quite the trivial thing to care about.

because you look like a twat if you can't even remember that you're suppose to pretend to play the guitar part of your own song.

No you really don't.

Guest bellamylookalike

Brian May, Pete Townshend and Matthew Bellamy all having to pretend at what they're the Heroes of. That's not a Symphony of Music, director man, that's a Sypmphony of shit. ;)

I watched the coverage just off oxford street, I didn't applaud much after the performances whilst all around me did (george michael etc). But it was the opposite after Muse, nearly just me applauding in the entire place :D

All in all I'm fucking excited for the new album after this performance

Don't you think that he did this deliberately. We know how much they hate miming, but being the Olympics they probably thought it would be rude to be too silly. The moments where he was clearly not miming where probably a little way of poking fun at the whole situation, without embarrassing themselves and the committee on a global scale.

Don't you think that he did this deliberately. We know how much they hate miming, but being the Olympics they probably thought it would be rude to be too silly. The moments where he was clearly not miming where probably a little way of poking fun at the whole situation, without embarrassing themselves and the committee on a global scale.

Being as he stopped miming when he adjusted the microphone, I would think he was probably more concerned with getting the sound for the vocal right than pretending to play guitar or with making a statement, but you never know.

Edited by CarrieB