Yup, Muse are not playing the opening ceremony by the looks of it. Duran Duran are representing England, Stereophonics for Wales, Paolo Nutini for Scotland and Snow Patrol for Northern Ireland - those are the headliners. There will also be a ceremony to mark the end of the olympics which will be headlined by Blur. There is some kind of 'Best of British' line-up though, I assume this is where we will see Muse if they do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17896786

That's for the gig in Hyde Park.

I thought by opening ceremony we mean the event inside the olympic stadium of which details haven't been announced.....

That's for the gig in Hyde Park.

I thought by opening ceremony we mean the event inside the olympic stadium of which details haven't been announced.....

Yeah, i reckon that gig in Hyde Park will be throughout the afternoon/early stages of opening ceremony, then have the "bigger acts" for the actual ceremony :) I mean, come on, Duran Duran, Paulo Nutini, Snow Patrol and whoever else they said is NOT the best of British, not by a mile!

Would the government really want a band who sings about resisting and rising up against them to play there? Or would they not mind?

Well, Matt claims to be a libertarian and as a libertarian I see no real contradiction between that and being on the right, politically speaking. Plus plenty of right-wing politicians are fond of Radiohead (who regularly vilify them), The Smiths (ditto) and The Jam ("they're absolute fucking scum"), so I really don't see why they'd have a problem with Muse in comparison. Besides, Matt's always insisted that politically he'd rather back certain issues than identify himself with a party's whole agenda.

I still like to think USOE is poking fun in a skewed way at the Euro-integration thing a la BYOB (everybody's having a great time because we're at war, eh?) So maybe they wouldn't be so keen on them playing that.

As for the line-up itself for the opening ceremony- I have no problem with Elbow whatsoever and won't hear a word against them. But as for the others.... what the flipping flippered flip?

First, I find it very encouraging that the creative director for the Opening & Closing is Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire etc)

Two possibilities for Muse in the Olympics at this point, now that pre- & post-concerts have been announced:

1) Opening Ceremony -- extremely unlikely, as this is a whole lotta pageantry, dancers, etc. *unless* they write the official opening song/theme & perform it. No one knows who or even if such a song will be included, everything is super secret.

2) Closing Ceremony -- better chance here. From this article:

The closing ceremony is to be called "A Symphony of British Music", featuring British music "from Elgar to Adele", according to the ceremony's director, Kim Gavin, the man behind the recent phenomenally successful Take That arena tours. Adele, Sir Paul McCartney, Elton John, the Rolling Stones and the Spice Girls have all been tipped to perform.
fyi: Rolling Stones & Spice Girls are out per other reports.

• 2 weeks later...
I only live 4 miles away from Tinmuff. I'll be there on Sunday to cheer on the boys whatever Olympic torch they are meant to be carrying.

if you wouldnt mind taking a video of them that would be awesome..

they could all wear 118 tops with moustaches and white tops and shorts :LOL:

2Q7BF00Z.jpg

Archived