Drones Vinyl Problems.. Anyone else?

tjvox

Hi Musers! Just got my deluxe edition of the Drones album and have tried out the vinyl for the first time. It skips on many songs and sound quality isn't what I anticipated. Anyone else found this? I also have the Resistance on vinyl from the deluxe edition released for that album and it's exactly the same. It gets through the first song fine but then skips on pretty much every song after that. That happened from first play also. I doubt it's my player as I play other new vinyl as well as vinyl from 40+ years ago with no problems. Has anyone else had the same problem? I'm thinking about returning Drones or at least contacting Warner about this issue. Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

I own both the deluxe and regular editions and both played perfectly fine for me. The mix itself sounds a little off, but nothing to do with the quality of the pressing.

Maybe give the records a cleaning to see if that helps?

What type of record player do you have?

I'm no expert on vinyl's etc so others may be able to provide better assistance. However depending on the type/make of your turntable/record player their could be a number of reasons for skipping.

But the issue may be within the arm itself with weighting etc. Presuming it has a counter-weight you could try making some adjustments. As the vinyl is 180g it I believe has deeper grooves so needs more weight - or something to that effect.

As above, I've had no playback issues.

I've got a really cheap player and my copy has a couple skips on Dead Inside and The Handler, plus I can't hear the bass very well on Reapers. I had a similar skipping issue with a reissued Ramones record I bought recently. I managed to fix it by carefully using some rubber bands to give the record player arm a bit of a backwards push while playing so it wouldn't skate ahead where the grooves run too thin/thick. That might help. Also, if you have a player with anti-skate, I would bet making some adjustments to that could solve your problem without having to come up with a rubber band system like me.

I'm not an expert in vinyls, but I haven't noticed any problem with them. Another thing is the turntable we have at home :LOL: When my mom plays her Queen vinyls it sounds good, but with other vinyls it doesn't, so it may be the kind of vinyl (or that our turntable is way older than me :chuckle:) If you can, try to play them in another turntable/player, it's happened to me with CDs in my laptop, that sometimes, even if the CD is perfectly fine, it doesn't play well, and in another laptops they do. It can be the same issue with vinyls, and you'd avoid returning it!

Drones was the first vinyl I bought since deciding to get back into vinyl with my partner a few months ago. Haven't even got our player yet (arriving Tuesday) but as an old Fart who used vinyl first time around a penny or piece of blu tack on the needle arm will often solve this.

I've got a really cheap player and my copy has a couple skips on Dead Inside and The Handler, plus I can't hear the bass very well on Reapers. I had a similar skipping issue with a reissued Ramones record I bought recently. I managed to fix it by carefully using some rubber bands to give the record player arm a bit of a backwards push while playing so it wouldn't skate ahead where the grooves run too thin/thick. That might help. Also, if you have a player with anti-skate, I would bet making some adjustments to that could solve your problem without having to come up with a rubber band system like me.

I'm actually having the same problem. My player skips on the same songs. And it skips every time at exactly the same place in te songs too.