• Survival
    • Animals
    • Psycho
    • Dead Inside
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • Defector
    • Revolt

The first Animals solo is probably Matt's most difficult.

I play that one with ease. The only Muse solo that I struggle with is Invincible, as my fingers struggle to stretch (they are getting there), and tap fast enough

Edited by LewisF

I play that one with ease. The only Muse solo that I struggle with is Invincible, as my fingers struggle to stretch (they are getting there), and tap fast enough

See, I have no problem stretching and tapping single string like that. Arpeggios kill me for whatever reason though.

Nah I don't know if you actually ever played a real guitar but SS and GL are trivial to play. Dark Shines while being insanely awesome is also kinda easy (ok, a bit more complicated around 3:35)

With the rest I agree, especially the ones with tapping (oh at least I kinda suck at it^^). And also I agree, that Muse guitar parts are generally fairly easy to play. Now play it and sing in the way Matt does at the same time tho :D

I would've thought it was kinda a given that I could play guitar if I'm able to comment on the difficulty of certain parts :p

Like I said, there aren't really any hard Muse solos. So, yes, Dark Shines, Stockholm and Guiding Light are pretty easy but they're some one of the harder ones in the context of Muse. Certainly harder than Madness anyway imo.

stockholm syndrome's solo is maddeningly easy.. not sure about that one. madness has that second part which is very difficult for me to do. however, animals is one that i'd say is harder.

I always thought the second part would be hard to do but I winged it and got it down first time I tried. It's one of those where if I think about it I'll fuck it up, but if I just switch off my brain then it's easy.

Yeah, I have pretty long fingers and I've always struggled with a couple of the stretches on Invincible. The tapping itself + Whammy control is pretty easy, it's just the stretches that make it hard (for some people, at least).

I never get the Invincible hype. For me, it's not even their best riff in Black Holes and Revelations never mind their best riff ever. It's good don't get me wrong, just not one of my favourites.

I have a soft spot for any solo with Whammy action.

how do you guys do it? i just can't manage that second part for some reason.

I only played it around 3 times before I got bored and never bothered again but it's pretty simple, the first two notes of the sequence are always the same (12-13 on the G) and the third just descends down the high E and B. I'm not really sure what advice to give for it tbh, you just...do it.

I'm assuming that's the bit you're on about anyway.

Muse don't really have any particularly hard guitar solos but Madness is probably one of the easier ones tbh. I'd say Reapers, The Handler, Invincible, Animals, The Groove, Survival, Dark Shines, Stockholm Syndrome and even Guiding Light are all harder.

I wouldn't say The Handler is hard, I learned that solo on my first try, by ear, at normal speed, without mistake, while listening/playing to the song. Maybe I've played that pattern before...I guess it helps that I knew In Your World already lol. It was kind of weird, didn't really have to learn it, just kind of knew it already and could play it like I had been playing it for years.

Also I'm surprised by how many people are saying Reapers (haven't looked at the poll just seeing it in people's comments) It might have a lot to it and is kind of technical but alot of it sounds like stuff that has been done before all thrown together, and overall execution in the way it actually sounds it does absolutely nothing for me. It has zero feeling. There are simple solos like the one in SFA that are worlds better imo for this reason. And Defector absolutely crushes it for a recent Muse guitar solo.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

I wouldn't say The Handler is hard, I learned that solo on my first try, by ear, at normal speed, without mistake, while listening/playing to the song. Maybe I've played that pattern before...I guess it helps that I knew In Your World already lol.

I didn't say The Handler or any other Muse solo was hard (Invincible's the only slightly tricky one imo), I just said it was harder than Madness. I was also able to work it out straight away and I'm a pretty average guitarist.

I didn't say The Handler or any other Muse solo was hard (Invincible's the only slightly tricky one imo), I just said it was harder than Madness. I was also able to work it out straight away and I'm a pretty average guitarist.

Yeah I still wouldn't say its harder than Madness. I never properly learned Madness because one of the stretches threw me off and I didn't like the song enough to care to learn it.

And yeah I wouldn't say I'm very good at guitar either. Just decent.

Yeah I still wouldn't say its harder than Madness. I never properly learned Madness because one of the stretches threw me off and I didn't like the song enough to care to learn it.

The stretches really aren't bad at all imo. The only reason I'd say TH is harder than Madness is 'cause it requires some slight form of concentration for me to make sure I'm getting the right notes and rhythm (it's easy to start going too fast), whereas I don't even have to think about Madness.

In fact, thinking about it, Madness is probably one of their easiest solos imo, along with Fury, Sober, SFA and TSP.

The stretches really aren't bad at all imo. The only reason I'd say TH is harder than Madness is 'cause it requires some slight form of concentration for me to make sure I'm getting the right notes and rhythm (it's easy to start going too fast), whereas I don't even have to think about Madness.

In fact, thinking about it, Madness is probably one of their easiest solos imo, along with Fury, Sober, SFA and TSP.

the stretches is what gets me. can't do it. and it's not like my fingers aren't long. i'll get there some day.

the stretches is what gets me. can't do it. and it's not like my fingers aren't long. i'll get there some day.

you just have to work out easier ways to position your hand, i struggled with it at first but it became natural after 3 or 4 play throughs

but yeah like everyone's saying none of muse's solos are overly tricky

• 3 years later...
They don't really have many good ones imo, these are the only ones I can think of (in order):

Defector

Invincible

Recess

Unnatral Selection

Hyper Chondriac Music

Blackout

Citizen Erased

Showbiz

Eternally Missed

Lmao, not including Darkshines - how edgy

Updating for ST, ‘cos there’s defo some new ones up there (and my old list was no bueno), Matt’s highlights in order:

Invincible

Defector

Recess

Darkshines

Showbiz

Blackout

Hyper Chondriac Music

Citizen Erased

Break It To Me

Blockades

Reapers

The Groove

Eternally Missed

Hate This & I’ll Love You

Unnatural Selection

The Handler

Madness

Revolt

• 2 weeks later...

Darkshines has a brilliant solo. I can imagine being on a tropical beach with that playing in the background.

Lmao, not including Darkshines - how edgy

Updating for ST, ‘cos there’s defo some new ones up there (and my old list was no bueno), Matt’s highlights in order:

Invincible

Defector

Recess

Darkshines

Showbiz

Blackout

Hyper Chondriac Music

Citizen Erased

Break It To Me

Blockades

Reapers

The Groove