Muse really make me Cringe with the Lyrics...

Scaramoosh

I loved OoS, Abs, Black Holes and part of The Resistance because there are a lot of Songs where the Lyrics are inoffensive and the songs are quite catchy. However Matt has always planted a few slower songs in each album and they just don't work because the Lyrics are bad. These slower songs are always the ones the fans hate and become bored with during their live shows.

However with The 2nd Law and now Drones, the Lyrics seem to be either getting worse or he's just trying to put more emphasis on them. I remember Madness and "I NEED TO LOVEEE" and then how bad that Olympic Survival song was, people at work laughed at the lyrics while it was on the radio. Follow Me, Animals etc etc.. they just have such cringe worthy lyrics and that album was a flop in general.

Drones is just a whole album of 100% bad lyrics and weird tone, like Reapers seems like it should be sung a lot darker, yet the Chorus makes me want to rip my ears out. Revolt onwards is just some of the worst stuff Muse has done, musically it feels like the album just ends. You have Mercy which is another cringe worthy song, Psycho just has another pathetic chorus, a weird line "your ass belongs to me now" which already I've seen Gay people say they'll sing that to their B/F...

I just cannot get into Muse any more, Matt feels like he's grown up music wise and his voice is a lot better now than it used to be. I hate the first album because he sounds so whiney, however he's really evolved to be a great singer now. The one thing that hasn't grown up is the Lyrics, they're still stuck as if a teenager wrote them. I feel embarrassed if someone hears me listening to any new stuff from Muse, ultimately though I don't like seeing them live any more as a result.

Whatever that magic they had seems to have died a bit after Resistance, Uprising was a genius song for the time, but... I dunno.

Edit: What I have noticed though is Latin countries love Muse, to native English speaking countries the Lyrics are cheesy. It seems like Spanish speaking countries really like corny songs? Muse just seem to be really popular with them.

Edit: What I have noticed though is Latin countries love Muse, to native English speaking countries the Lyrics are cheesy. It seems like Spanish speaking countries really like corny songs? Muse just seem to be really popular with them.

I'm not talking for all the Spanish speakers, but, I don't know what's corny in Drones lyrics. Maybe in Aftermath, but almost all the songs, at least in the first half (and The Globalist, and Drones...),are dark. So... Corny? They may be simple, and lack any subtletly, but that's all :LOL::LOL:

II feel embarrassed if someone hears me listening to any new stuff from Muse, ultimately though I don't like seeing them live any more as a result.

Whatever that magic they had seems to have died a bit after Resistance, Uprising was a genius song for the time, but... I dunno.

So you are not attending Muse gigs anymore because you worry about what other people could think of your tastes. Right. Also, there's a thing called "headphones".

I'm from Spain and I hate corny lyrics. Having said that, Matt has always had crappy ones around (Intant Messenger, anyone?), so I have never worried a lot about them. It's just that the Cheese-o-meter has been reaching critical levels as of the last albums, leaving all subtle undertones far away. By the way, I fail to see what's makes "Uprising" so genius-like (I like the song itself, though), considering it's just a "Doctorin' the TARDIS" rework with vague statements of "us" versus "them" which not even RATM at their most demagogue moment would ever dare to pull. And then there was that live performance with the towers and such. If they wanted to evoke a fascist rally feel, they did on me. I don't think that was the case, but...

As for their magic, well... I felt they lost most of it past Absolution. Why am I here still? Because Muse mean a lot to me and they're still a great band.

I loved OoS, Abs, Black Holes and part of The Resistance because there are a lot of Songs where the Lyrics are inoffensive and the songs are quite catchy. However Matt has always planted a few slower songs in each album and they just don't work because the Lyrics are bad. These slower songs are always the ones the fans hate and become bored with during their live shows.

However with The 2nd Law and now Drones, the Lyrics seem to be either getting worse or he's just trying to put more emphasis on them. I remember Madness and "I NEED TO LOVEEE" and then how bad that Olympic Survival song was, people at work laughed at the lyrics while it was on the radio. Follow Me, Animals etc etc.. they just have such cringe worthy lyrics and that album was a flop in general.

Drones is just a whole album of 100% bad lyrics and weird tone, like Reapers seems like it should be sung a lot darker, yet the Chorus makes me want to rip my ears out. Revolt onwards is just some of the worst stuff Muse has done, musically it feels like the album just ends. You have Mercy which is another cringe worthy song, Psycho just has another pathetic chorus, a weird line "your ass belongs to me now" which already I've seen Gay people say they'll sing that to their B/F...

I just cannot get into Muse any more, Matt feels like he's grown up music wise and his voice is a lot better now than it used to be. I hate the first album because he sounds so whiney, however he's really evolved to be a great singer now. The one thing that hasn't grown up is the Lyrics, they're still stuck as if a teenager wrote them. I feel embarrassed if someone hears me listening to any new stuff from Muse, ultimately though I don't like seeing them live any more as a result.

It's more difficult to notice poor lyrics in a second language. If anything having very obvious lyrics help as it's more likely to be words/expressions that are direct and familiar.

If you loved Uprising but can't get into any of their recent lyrics, it's possible you might have just changed somewhat as a person from when you first got into that song. Matt can write some great lyrics, but most of us wouldn't point to that one as an example of it.

Mostly he's great at conveying emotion in some relatively basic statements. He sings the hell out things like "When will this loneliness be over," "I want you now," "Why can't we start it over again?" and so on, all of which are hugely common human thoughts and emotions, which is why so many of us love those songs. Very rarely he'll take it one step further and actually throw in some clever turn of phrase in there and we'll latch on to it to defend his lesser moments (looking at that one Hoodoo line everyone throws out when this argument comes up), but for the most part its very raw emotional lines that work best for him. And no, that doesn't make him Julian Casablancas, but there is still something to be said for that ability.

But if you've never cared for that aspect of his lyrics, then I'm not sure how you can be too disappointed with where they are now. Mercy really isn't significantly worse than Uprising in that sense. Hell, Animals is way better as far as that theme goes, in my opinion! But yes, overall the lyrics have gotten much worse and very quickly. I don't think it's because he just can't do better though. He just seems less interested or inspired to write those kinds of things we loved from the earlier albums.

If anything it's a bit more bleak for those of us who loves those earlier, "whiny" songs. If you love the political anthems, I'd stick around for the next album. One would think they can only go back up in overall quality after Drones.

It's more difficult to notice poor lyrics in a second language. If anything having very obvious lyrics help as it's more likely to be words/expressions that are direct and familiar.

English isn't my first language and I still can't get over the lyrics on this album. Granted, my first language is Dutch, which is a Germanic language, so I can't speak for people who speak a Latin language.

For me, the delivery is more important than the actual lyrics in a Muse song. The lyrics in songs like Reapers, The Handler and Defector are decent enough though.

Further, it helps when questionable lyrics are accompanied with a good amount of ridiculousness, like the harmonies in the chorus of Defector, or the chorus of Reapers in general. It just fits the lyrical content.

That's exactly why I vastly prefer Survival to Animals. Don't like the delivery in Animals much, whereas in Survival he nailed it.

Edited by Strangeseas

I agree with Strangeseas somewhat. Just reading the lyric on their own, without the music, it can be quite cheesy. However, chanting "Your ass belongs to me now" with a whole bunch of people at the Manchester gig was pretty great. I also cringe a little bit when I hear some of the songs in public but I really enjoy them when I'm on my own. What can I say, I think I just worry about what people think when people see that I like a song that's about being dead inside :LOL:

I agree with Strangeseas somewhat. Just reading the lyric on their own, without the music, it can be quite cheesy. However, chanting "Your ass belongs to me now" with a whole bunch of people at the Manchester gig was pretty great. I also cringe a little bit when I hear some of the songs in public but I really enjoy them when I'm on my own. What can I say, I think I just worry about what people think when people see that I like a song that's about being dead inside :LOL:
Exactly. When they released the new videos in the last few weeks, I did make a lot of fun of the lyrics and even created my own mock Muse songs ("DRONES! EVIL! PAWN! WE'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIE!"), but yes, it was so much fun singing along at the Rock in Vienna gig, just like you said. Thinking about how much I hated that "Your ass belongs to me now" line at the start, I'm still amazed about how much energy I put into shouting it. :LOL:

Those lyrics videos made them sound much cheesier to me, actually, because they highlighted the cheesiest parts - but once I actually listened to the songs properly, I didn't mind as much.

The dreadful lyrics are part of their whole schtick, though. Saying 'I like Muse but their lyrics are awful' is like saying 'I like Spinal Tap but they're a bit OTT'

(To borrow a quote)

Edited by Gemsy

• 3 weeks later...
Mostly he's great at conveying emotion in some relatively basic statements. He sings the hell out things like "When will this loneliness be over," "I want you now," "Why can't we start it over again?" and so on, all of which are hugely common human thoughts and emotions, which is why so many of us love those songs. Very rarely he'll take it one step further and actually throw in some clever turn of phrase in there and we'll latch on to it to defend his lesser moments (looking at that one Hoodoo line everyone throws out when this argument comes up), but for the most part its very raw emotional lines that work best for him. And no, that doesn't make him Julian Casablancas, but there is still something to be said for that ability.

You put my thoughts into words. The bit about Hoodoo made me laugh because it's so true :LOL:

Edited by zomuse

• 4 weeks later...

i agree and disagree with everything thats posted here. basically i think matt has the talent to write really good, nuanced lyrics but also write simple stuff thats delivered in a fantastic way. as simple as the lyrics on drones may seem, there are actually some great references in them (from the top of my head: trance formation of america, the reaper drone, the hellfire missile, yellow belly, green mind, blue blood, the reversed phrases in the globalist, follow the yellow brick road at the end of reapers). along with this the message/story of drones is a lot deeper and complex than it lets on to be on the first few listens. this much is obvious in hearing them talk about it in interviews and reading about all these references. sure the lyrics could be better, more poetic i guess, but to me they do their job well. especially when the instrumentation on this album is so great.

but really, the reason i think you dont get the same kind of lyrics and content as from the older albums is simply because theyre not teenagers/young adults anymore who deal with the angsty feelings they used to sing about. theyve matured and moved past that stuff. thats basically talking for the first 2 albums but its well known that quality comes from hardship. the last 2 albums have had a more mature feel to them. everything matt writes about is relevant to whats on his mind at the moment. ill admit it, some of the songs in t2l sounded cheesy but that was mostly the stuff about love and being a parent (follow me) and in my mind that stuff is just naturally cheesy.

its like 4am and im losing my train of thought so maybe that didnt make much sense lol but basically i feel like the lyrics reflect different stages matt has been through and mindsets. its obvious that hes really passionate about what he writes about and is pretty well versed in those topics, which is seen through the emotion he delivers the lyrics with the and references in them.

but at the end of the day i think we should just think about this quote from matt "the lyrics give meaning to what the music is already saying"