Drones Album Reviews

Good to see you're back to your old habits.

Still doesn't make sense. Every other album this year got better rating. Which is obviously a fuck up. How can it be a valid review then?

It's like rating The Dark Knight 10% on Rotten Tomatoes. That would be the same fuck up.

Still doesn't make sense. Every other album this year got better rating. Which is obviously a fuck up. How can it be a valid review then?

It's like rating The Dark Knight 10% on Rotten Tomatoes. That would be the same fuck up.

In stunning, stunning news, not all music reviewers like the same things.

There's not a single sentence in that review that implies that Ian Cohen hates Muse. He also reviewed The 2nd Law and he gave it a 5.5.

Strongly suspect that he actually quite likes Absolution at a minimum, given that the last line references and links AP in what seems to be a positive (nostalgic?) way.

There's not a single sentence in that review that implies that Ian Cohen hates Muse. He also reviewed The 2nd Law and he gave it a 5.5.

It's common knowledge he hates Muse. And T2L is definately worse by miles than Drones.

I read that, got to the last line, assumed that there would be another half to the review after the video, got very confused when there wasn't....

it is a typical newsday review (local paper here in metro NY). and yes, he did mistake "psycho" for "drones" but then got "drones" correct at the end. sigh. good score though.

it is a typical newsday review (local paper here in metro NY). and yes, he did mistake "psycho" for "drones" but then got "drones" correct at the end. sigh. good score though.

Yeah it's just "what makes it truly succeed, though, is how Muse manages to make each song stand on its own" kinda makes me go "okay... expand on this, please..."

Yeah but this time it's a concept album that is trying to convey serious message that tackles current, important happenings. How could you not believe they're trying foremost to put a message out there with this album?

Because they still have a lot of fun with it in and amongst the political shtick, and when things get genuinely emotional and serious - like the second half of Dead Inside - it's not so much to do with drone warfare as to do with Matt's personal experiences and emotions. This review also seems to imply that writing an enjoyable record and being "profound" (a problematic term) are mutually exclusive for Muse, and they aren't . I'm not saying I disagree completely with the article though, especially the 2nd and 4th paragraphs.

And that popmatters review makes a good point when it talks about the lyrics in Knights v.s. those of the more recent "political" things Muse have done, which have been too direct.

That criticism of Muse being humorless is one I'll never understand.

Sure, Matt probably believes in what he peddles, or he wouldn't be droning about it for three albums (forgive me for that awful pun). But it's not like they don't realize how ridiculous or goofy their music can be, or the whole idea of a "concept album". Look at the making of videos for the previous two albums, where Matt bursts out laughing at Guiding Light or Survival. I don't think they take themselves nearly as seriously as many detractors say they do.

I'm not a fan of this black and white thinking where either you make a Serious Album about a Serious Topic as a Serious Band, or you make an entirely goofy album about some nonsense and then it's alright because you're a "fun band" who knows their place.

That said, I hope that with this album Matt has been able to get this Drone conspiracy stuff out of his system, because I think their music does fit better with a sci-fi / escapist theme than with scathing political commentary.

Lower than both of them? I though it was getting mainly positive reviews!

Currently, yes. I say it's unsurprising as it seems to be such a polarising album. Most people either seem to think it's the best thing since BH&R or a pile of wank.