Drones Album Reviews

The review of the album on R2 is pretty good :) He praises the ridiculousness of it all, and that if you get the idea that Muse don't take themselves seriously, you'll enjoy it. Only criticism is that it's slightly overlong. Ranks BH+R as their best album but likes this one.

"They’re too humorless to be camp, unwilling to explore the obvious homoerotic subtext of the plot"

What the fuck is that?

It's garbage is what it is. He's just calling Matt

a closeted homosexual who's writing equally flamboyant music, is how it reads to me. If that indeed is what this guy is trying to get across then this is the most vitriolic Queen dig I've seen.

Pitchfork is always bashing Muse. Absolutely ridiculous 4.5. Way too low.

And they rate shitty mediocre indie acts 6-7 all the time.

The fact that Girlpool, probably the worst new act out there got a 7.8, is just an embarassment. I saw them live and wanted to die. So yeah I agree Pitchfork only aims to promote its festivals and to try and influence which acts are "popular" in the indie scene

"They’re too humorless to be camp, unwilling to explore the obvious homoerotic subtext of the plot"

What the fuck is that?

a closeted homosexual who's writing equally flamboyant music, is how it reads to me. If that indeed is what this guy is trying to get across then this is the most vitriolic Queen dig I've seen.

He mentioned this in the T2L review: "Sadly, there's a greater chance of Christian Bale dancing the "Batusi" than Bellamy writing a song about big asses for the hell of it."

They go ahead and write such a song pretty much (Psycho), then Ian complains about the homoerotic subtext not being explored enough? Sounds like he just has his own preoccupation with the subject. :erm:

This post is hilarious.

It's terrible. The rating is so low this would imply even could I write a better album than Muse.

Don't bother with the ratings. Just read the text. That's applies to all reviewers.

I don't see that as an attempt at humour.

Whatever it was it's more ridiculous than most of the lyrics.

But the middle is ok. It's not terrible, and when it gets honest it delivers, but there's a lot of fluff.

I mean, who gets a 4.5? The worst indie act of the year never gets that low rating.

Worst act of the year 2013 via NME: The 1975

Pitchfork's verdict? 5.9: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18467-the-1975-the-1975/

Higher than both T2L as well as Drones. Ironically reviewed by someone other than Ian Cohen.

Drones deserves even less than that for me, actually.

I mean, who gets a 4.5? The worst indie act of the year never gets that low rating.

It's a barely below average album. If Pitchfork's history would imply differently then the rating system is pointless and just ignore it.

He mentioned this in the T2L review: "Sadly, there's a greater chance of Christian Bale dancing the "Batusi" than Bellamy writing a song about big asses for the hell of it."

They go ahead and write such a song pretty much (Psycho), then Ian complains about the homoerotic subtext not being explored enough? Sounds like he just has his own preoccupation with the subject. :erm:

Haven't read it yet because I'm on my phone but it doesn't sound like he understood the song, at all :LOL: