Drones Album Reviews

Drones has been trashed in the LA Times, I don't think the reviewer is a fan or has a clue what he's talking about.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-muse-drones-review-20150608-column.html

Some reviewers seem to take great joy in slagging something off if they don't like it, hardly subjective.

Can't see anything wrong with the review, at all. You just happen to disagree with it, which is fine, but why call it "hardly subjective" or say that the reviewer "has no clue what he's talking about"? Grow up.

I'd argue the story is badly told too.

Why am I not surprised? :p

In truth though, I guess it would depend on what you consider a "well" told story. Personally, I look at it in terms of a narrative. In those regards, you only need to listen to Drones once to know what it is about. That to me is a well told story.

If your definition of "well told story" includes lyrically quality, then I could understand the argument that the story is not well told.

Oh no, a reviewer was hard on a band. Someone call the wah-mbulance.

Can't see anything wrong with the review, at all. You just happen to disagree with it, which is fine, but why call it "hardly subjective" or say that the reviewer "has no clue what he's talking about"? Grow up.

It seems the main role for you two in this thread is to defend the negative reviews whenever someone disagrees with them. Does doing so help you validate your own opinions or something? No need to be rude to her just because she disagrees with a review.

It seems the main role for you two in this thread is to defend the negative reviews whenever someone disagrees with them. Does doing so help you validate your own opinions or something? No need to be rude to her just because she disagrees with a review.

Yes, there's no need to be so rude. Can't we all have our opinions without "ad hominem" arguments? Jesus, and there's still people who's wondering why some people leave the board... :LOL::LOL:

Disagreeing with a review is fine. Claiming that a review is "hardly subjective" (which is literally what a review is) is wrong. To then also claim that the reviewer is not a fan is an assumption and isn't even necessarily relevant, and saying that the reviewer doesn't have a clue what they're talking about is also rude.

I don't need anyone else to know what I think about things, and to imply that is also pretty rude imho. In fact your entire post is an assumption based on two posts I've made, two out of three in total in this thread by the way.

Disagreeing with a review is fine. Claiming that a review is "hardly subjective" (which is literally what a review is) is wrong. To then also claim that the reviewer is not a fan is an assumption and isn't even necessarily relevant, and saying that the reviewer doesn't have a clue what they're talking about is also rude.

I don't need anyone else to know what I think about things, and to imply that is also pretty rude imho. In fact your entire post is an assumption based on two posts I've made, two out of three in total in this thread by the way.

For what it's worth, I think she meant to say "objective," it can be easy to mix the two up. And I'm sure the reviewer doesn't care (or is even aware of) what anyone on the Muse boards thinks of their review.

You could have expressed your opinion in a more tactful manner and actually attempt to have a decent conversation with her, but instead you jumped straight to sarcastic insults. There's a reason you and Fabri have a certain reputation for negativity, and it wasn't created out of nowhere. You're much more pleasant on Facebook, but I guess that's because anonymity is gone there.

Have you read my post? I even said it's fine if people disagree with a negative review. It has nothing to do with the fact that I agree with it.

She called someone else immature, that's why I told her to "grow up", since she was the one showing immature behaviour.

For what it's worth, I think she meant to say "objective," it can be easy to mix the two up. And I'm sure the reviewer doesn't care (or is even aware of) what anyone on the Muse boards thinks of their review.

You could have expressed your opinion in a more tactful manner and actually attempt to have a decent conversation with her, but instead you jumped straight to sarcastic insults. There's a reason you and Fabri have a certain reputation for negativity, and it wasn't created out of nowhere. You're much more pleasant on Facebook, but I guess that's because anonymity is gone there.

Sarcastic replies aside, I don't think that invalidates the points being questioned or raised on our end. Besides, why should the onus be entirely on us to keep the discussion going or get it started? The comment was sarcastic, it was not abusive, offensive or whatever. They could have expanded on their thoughts rather than reply back with an equally snarky "Mature." as if they are somehow above it all because they happen to be older. People get offended far too easily (especially by bad reviews, apparently).

Edited by Dee3Dee

Have you read my post? I even said it's fine if people disagree with a negative review. It has nothing to do with the fact that I agree with it.

She called someone else immature, that's why I told her to "grow up", since she was the one showing immature behaviour.

Well she wasn't wrong--responding to someone's post saying they need to call the "wah-mbulance" is pretty immature. :LOL: I just don't think you would have called her out if she had been complaining about a positive review for being wrong. Or maybe I'm wrong and you were just sticking up for your friend. If so then my apologies.

Well she wasn't wrong--responding to someone's post saying they need to call the "wah-mbulance" is pretty immature. :LOL: I just don't think you would have called her out if she had been complaining about a positive review for being wrong. Or maybe I'm wrong and you were just sticking up for your friend. If so then my apologies.

Yeah the content of the review has nothing to do with why I called her out. It was her reaction to it.

Plus I don't think that telling someone to "grow up" is abusive in any way. Not nice, sure, but she wasn't nice to the reviewer or to Ari either.

People have different opinions.

Deal with it.

[spoiler=different opinions]GqoL4xm.png?1

:LOL: That first one.

Sarcastic replies aside, I don't think that invalidates the points being questioned or raised on our end. Besides, why should the onus be entirely on us to keep the discussion going or get it started? The comment was sarcastic, it was not abusive, offensive or whatever. They could have expanded on their thoughts rather than reply back with an equally snarky "Mature." as if they are somehow above it all because they happen to be older. People get offended far too easily (especially from bad reviews, apparently).

While I wish people here didn't feel the need to be sarcastic all the time, you raise some valid points. I think some people get offended by bad reviews because those are the ones that tend to make assumptions/digs at Matt Bellamy as a person instead of just focusing on the music. So it causes people to overlook any good points that the reviewers might have actually made.

some people don't like muse :(

I don't really give two shits about anyone else's opinion of something, typically, (and admit to reading next to none of the reviews posted... :chuckle: ) but what does bother me is those of these supposedly "professional" reviewers that sink to that boring old chore of internet stereotype - "be an obnoxious, self-righteous tit about something to garner attention."

About metacritic, are there going to be some more critic reviews or is it the worst Muse album with 67 score? :LOL:

Honestly the sooner Metacritic dies the better. They take a bunch of reviews, use some algorithm to assign numerical scores where there are none originally, and then use that to come up with a "consensus." I wish there was a music equivalent to Rotten Tomatoes--while their score doesn't necessarily tell you *how* good or bad a movie is, they incorporate many more reviews than Metacritic and can at least tell you if the consensus leans good or bad. It's not perfect, but a bit more useful I think.

How many reviews used on metacritic don't have a numeric score?

It's more that the scores are stretched out of proportion, and the cumulative effect is fairly bastardised. 3/5 is scaled up to 60/100, A is scaled to 100/100 etc. Sometimes they even convert "good/great" into a numerical score. Combine across many reviews and the margin of error becomes waaaay too high for the result to be significant.

Metacritic is best used for aggregation, not statistics.

Any Decent Music is also quite good for aggregation of album review scores. It's also more transparent than Metacritic as it just uses the actual average, rather than weighting "more important" reviewers more highly.

I prefer both sites to Rotten Tomatoes, though. Films could have an 100% rating on that site with everybody giving them quite good scores like 3/5, it's not the most helpful.