Drones Album Reviews

Huh, I actually agreed with him with quite a lot of it

That wasn't a bad review, I enjoyed it despite of the score. But his points are valid. I don't know how he usually rate albums, a 5 isn't decent in my mind, but is it in his? :LOL::LOL:

I agreed with a lot of it as well, except for his comments about Drones.

I don't like how you could totally tell this was lazily put together. Vid quality is trash, crooked green screen, Fantano sounding like he just doesn't care... sucks mainly because he always seems to take vids seriously. Bit of a disappointment on that side, ignoring content of the review. That said, it's still more of a thorough/fair review than any of the others we've had so far. It is strange he just didn't mention Aftermath or Revolt as mentioned. I liked that he cracked that smile for Defector ;)

I don't like how you could totally tell this was lazily put together. Vid quality is trash, crooked green screen, Fantano sounding like he just doesn't care... sucks mainly because he always seems to take vids seriously. Bit of a disappointment on that side, ignoring content of the review.

Most vids I've seen from him are like that I thought?

Most vids I've seen from him are like that I thought?

He has a calm composure in all of his vids, but certain nuances from this one tipped me off to what I mentioned. Just more uninterested/lackadaisical than usual more or less in approaching the review and it seemed like there were minimal cuts. Made it seem like it was just done really quickly kind of thing. T2L's review by comparison shows a good contrast I think just because he seems more willing to present us with a review rather than just kind of say "here it is".

The lyrics are meant to tell a story and do so literally., I'd say that's a big flaw.

Fixed! The story is told very well with the lyrics. Its just told extremely literally. When most think concept album, they think thought provoking lyrics that deal with complex ideals open to interpretation. Drones wasn't even trying to be this, and that is why I think people are missing the point.

Yes, the lyrics are "beat you over the head literal" and occasionally cringe worthy, but the story is told very well. Not sure what critics were really expecting from a Muse concept album, but its clearly obvious that some are missing the point. If you are comparing this to The Wall simply because they are both "concept" albums, then you have only yourself to blame in your disappointment.

I'd be interested to see what the album would have scored if it wasn't billed as a concept album.

The Downward Spiral (mentioned before in the album thread) is probably as literal than Drones as far as the narrative goes but I can get a lot more invested into that one. There's a musical aspect to that too, even though the trend for Muse has been to look at them separately.

The Downward Spiral (mentioned before in the album thread) is probably as literal than Drones as far as the narrative goes but I can get a lot more invested into that one. There's a musical aspect to that too, even though the trend for Muse has been to look at them separately.

I tend to ignore the story in that one too.

I'd argue the story is badly told too.

Yeah, it's told really blandly. I mean, look at the quality of Hospice compared to this. Matt just isn't a story teller, which is fine, but he should know to play to his strengths.

Through bad lyrics, I presume.

Well… Yeah?

Drones has been trashed in the LA Times, I don't think the reviewer is a fan or has a clue what he's talking about.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-muse-drones-review-20150608-column.html

Some reviewers seem to take great joy in slagging something off if they don't like it, hardly subjective.

He seemed to be slagging off the production more than anything. He does compliment Muse's musicianship, and says the album's production fails them.

He seemed to be slagging off the production more than anything. He does compliment Muse's musicianship, and says the album's production fails them.

He finishes the "review" with Unfortunately, Muse's efforts can barely get off the ground and wouldn't survive a war against a fly swatter.

So not only Mutt's production but the boys' efforts too.

He finishes the "review" with Unfortunately, Muse's efforts can barely get off the ground and wouldn't survive a war against a fly swatter.

So not only Mutt's production but the boys' efforts too.

Oh no, a reviewer was hard on a band. Someone call the wah-mbulance.