Haven't we had this exact discussion? Anyway, concept should never go before quality. There is a way of "droning" on has been done really well by several artists before, but it simply isn't doing this song any favours. If they truly wanted to symbolise descent, why not make the song more deranged as they go on? Break it down, turn it up, make it more offensive. Do SOMETHING.

...And nothing they did along those lines. I don't know why they haven't thought out different solutions for this. It could even be due to a certain laziness from their side, or because they simply wanted to "jam it out" (like Mutt Lange "advised" them during Aftermath recording), it could be anything.

But then I recall that time when Matt defined the Psycho riff as "cheap ass" because of its simplicity, just like that... and it makes me think a lot about the mood they were supposedly attempting to convey with this track. From the oversimplified and in-ya-face lyrics to the aforementioned riff, everything in Psycho has always given me a sort of... "macho-ist tragicomical" vibe, for a lack of better words (I don't even know if "tragicomical" exist as a word in English). That might mean that maybe they really wanted Psycho to sound aggressive, ridiculously blatant, "dim-witted", comedic and tragical at the same time, pledging on the militaresque theme.

That might explain the questionable choice of keeping a repetitive, obsessive and not-so-complex musical structure.

But keep in mind that's just a freaky theory of mine... We can't exactly know what has passed through their minds when it was down to such choices...

Dead Inside: 8. Great vocals (esp. in the first part), sexy bass and cool solo.

Psycho: 6. Same opinion as everyone.

Mercy: 5. Quite like the verses but boring chorus, embarrassing bridge and way too generic overall

Reapers: 9. Had to exist as a Muse song. Love it.

The Handler: 8,5. I don't think the solo is too long, it lasts long enough to become cool again after the first tension has come down.

Defector: 7,5. Really like it.

Revolt: 7. Fungettable.

Aftermath: 3. Could have been great but the last two choruses are the worst thing they've ever done.

The Globalist: 8. Like it lots but there is obvious room for improvement.

Drones: 8,5 Love it.

Hey lay off the negativity! Oy is pretty much spot on. The Globalist is crap in comparison to Reaperss so not sure why that would confuse anybody.

Remember when Reapers was first played?

#ACDC CONFIRMED... :sleepy::sleepy::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

massive acdc fest there.. it's as if they were playing a cover. this is really nothing like them :(

So overall I guess I'd say it's ok. Psycho was also ok. Looks like the whole album is turning out to be ok. But that's ok. Ok?

The verse was probably the best bit, and even then it's not great. It wouldn't be a Muse album without at least one song I skip, and maybe it will be better in the context of the album and when I'm not hearing it through a shitty recording, but this does have me a bit concerned. That solo can sod off.

Yeah, one's said longer break than normal (which would still be a thing even with the same album cycle, no?) and another's said new music next year.

The former one, at least, isn't known for bullshitting, though.

Can't imagine they'd break up, but they need to do something if they're not feeling into what they're doing anymore to fix that.

Imo a long break is what they need at this point. Whether that's to decide on the future direction of the band or to pursue doing there own thing, I don't really mind.

I wouldn't mind in the slightest if they took a good 3 years off from now before starting to even think about putting out another album as a band. If it means that we'd get something that we could call 'one of their best' then yeah, I'd be game for that.

On the subject of them doing their own things though... I would quite like Matt to go solo for a short while to see what he's capable of.

Haven't posted here in a while... Things seem a lot less hostile. What happened?

I think he's definitely got a different view of what type of music he wants to make compared to Chris and Dom.

That's why I feel it would be good for him to go solo for a bit. Do his own thing, let him take whatever concepts he has and put them into a solo album or something.

After that come back and if they all feel there ready to put out another album then get back in the studio.

I honestly don't trust Bellamy to do that, at this point.

And we really don't know much of what kind of input Dom and Chris have into the writing process (except for Madness, and Bellamy saying they veto songs they deem too ott or something.)

I just feel like he's reached a crisis point where I don't trust that he wouldn't just try and spew out things that would have mass appeal. :(

Honestly I don't think we can trust Chris and Dom to veto songs anymore. I mean, back in 2006 they considered Soaked too cheesy and unlike their sound, but since then they've released Explorers, Madness, Guiding Light, the ending to The Globalist...I just think that they've stopped reacting to cheese.

Well TSP/Fury doesn't say that much imo. It's just personal opinion. And I think both Dom and Chris enjoyed TSP a lot more live, and so do I.

It's just that...I don't think they have any limitations to what can be a part of their sound anymore.

So are we at the 'what I want most from LP_' stage yet? 'Cause I've been doing me some pondering:

- No overarching fictional story or theme, we've had that for the last 3 albums now and it hasn't worked out imo

- Similar mixing to Drones, might be the best combo of clarity without killing the emotion/energy we've had

- Work with a more modern producer who can help the band experiment and try new things with their established sound as opposed to just fucking about/genre hopping, maybe Dave Sanderson (65dos) or Rocky O'Reilly (ASIWYFA)

- More continued whammy wankery, now w/ extra kaoss kerfuffling

- At least one new piano song that isn't just another ballad and use more piano as a supporting/backing instrument in other songs (i.e. Map, Stockholm, Butterflies)

- Work a song around Monty Jam

- Work Vuilstamen into a song

aaand if I had to guess at a release: September 22nd or 29th next year.

Edited by Jobby

- Please Matt, don't try to tell a story.

- Agreed on Drones mixing.

- More piano and guitar combinations! You're basically a 4-piece band, make use of that! Give Morgan actual parts instead of just having him do backing synths. I want to hear Matt working with counter-melodies with two guitars.

- More piano in general. Just no ballads.

Copypasting Jobby:

- Work a song around Monty Jam

- Work Vuilstamen into a song

Actually most of what I just said was already said by Jobby, but he got the ideas from my posts anyways so!