Having a jolly old chuckle reading back to when the album leaked and seeing all these peasants slating arguably the best track on the album:

Revolt has ruined everything. Im gonna say it

Im gonna say it

Big Freeze 2.0; the Queenening

Jesus fucking Christ, Revolt might actually be the Big Freeze level of shit. Why Muse, why?

Oh god what the fuck Revolt.

OMFG im crying the revolt chorus wow that is fucking abysmal how did chris and dom not stop him

revolt- Revshit fuck off worse then endlessly on absolution 1/10

Revolt... Lolwut sounds like taylor swift, catchy but just shocking I have no opinions.

Revolt is absolutely disgusting. I seriously cannot stand it. I usually love everything muse does, but Revolt makes me want to stick ice picks in my ears.

Literally just deleted Revolt lol. I won't let my full play-through's be interrupted by that nonsense. I've never heard Muse do a song so bad that I just could not admit that it exists.

Not this kid though, true pioneer of Revolt opinions. Trendsetter 2k15:

Revolt > Exogenesis

benout.gif

So cool, wish I could meet them. What a hero.

drones- this isn't even a thing why is this even on the album surely a piss take -10/10

Drones the track is terrible. Oh my god

Drones doesn't even feel like a song.

Drones omg

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

WHAT THE HELL.

oh my god how did this make it onto the album. What is even the point of this song.

I don't know whether I'm laughing or crying it's ridic :LOL:

Drones - 0/10 (worst Muse song ever)

Dead Inside - 9/10

Their best foray into this territory yet.

Psycho - 6/10

At least a minute and a half too long. But, y'know, riffs++.

Mercy - 4/10

Meh. We have five songs like this already, and this one is no more exciting.

Reapers - 9/10

Everything I want from a Muse song basically.

The Handler - 8.5/10

Mainly great, solo is too long/dull though.

Defector - 5/10

It's just not very interesting, and the pseudo-Queen bits jarr badly. Terrible lyrics too.

Revolt - 7.5/10

It's just a lot of fun. I don't see what there is to dislike about it.

Aftermath - 4/10

Starts well enough, then everything goes tits up spectacularly.

The Globalist - 5/10

Just a complete mess of a composition, and the outro is dire. Every section of it has the makings of something good, but they were so ham-fisted with it.

Drones - 4/10

Nothing to dislike, per sé, but it is what it is. It's not something I'd ever actively consider listening to, apart from in the context of the album.

Hey lay off the negativity! The Globalist is crap

Me? It was more the quotes themselves to be honest (a bit like that ^). For the record, I like both, and I think the album as a whole is pretty good, as long as I forget the title track exists. If they'd done more with the lyrics, I wouldn't mind...

I listened to The Resistance for the first time in years earlier though, and it puts the quality of the other albums into a bit of extra context, haha!

...what? :erm:

I could be far out in saying Reapers has a 'classic rock' sound. The blues riff, guitar tones and simple drum part in the chorus do sound very ACDC inspired to me (and I think Matt might have said this?).

I tried to explain why I dislike The Globalist so much. Maybe I'm too critical of it, but I would be surprised if anyone here has played it to one of their friends to try and convince them Muse are a good band.

Dont get the negativity around this album, most consistent one since Black Holes.

I think The Resistance is more consistent, only one truly awful moment in Guiding Light.

Drones has a few, but it's more consistent than T2L and it has 3 great songs on, which is perhaps more than TR.

DI 8

Psycho 7

Mercy 5

Reapers 9

The Handler 9

Defector 7

Revolt 6

Aftermath 1

The Globalist 7

Drones n/a

Still annoyed that they fucked up this album's release by sending out the first 5 proper tracks beforehand and leaving us with mainly rubbish still to listen to when it finally came out

I could be far out in saying Reapers has a 'classic rock' sound. The blues riff, guitar tones and simple drum part in the chorus do sound very ACDC inspired to me (and I think Matt might have said this?).

I tried to explain why I dislike The Globalist so much. Maybe I'm too critical of it, but I would be surprised if anyone here has played it to one of their friends to try and convince them Muse are a good band.

Yeah, I kind of get what you're saying there I suppose. I listened through to Reapers again after and I can understand that point of view, but I still think it's more or less the same RATM influences that have been going on since they first formed really.

With The Globalist, it took a while to grow on me, but I do quite like it now. I can understand that it's a bit on/off with the different styles, but it's hardly their only song to do that, and while it's no Citizen Erased (though the middle part is just as fun to play on guitar in my opinion), I'd say calling it their worst is pretty excessive.

As for comparisons to TR, as I mentioned I listened to it for the first time in ages earlier and I'd forgotten how bland and disappointing at least 80% of it is. I'd say Drones far surpasses it in that regard, without being as good as their earlier work.

Yeah, I kind of get what you're saying there I suppose. I listened through to Reapers again after and I can understand that point of view, but I still think it's more or less the same RATM influences that have been going on since they first formed really.

With The Globalist, it took a while to grow on me, but I do quite like it now. I can understand that it's a bit on/off with the different styles, but it's hardly their only song to do that, and while it's no Citizen Erased (though the middle part is just as fun to play on guitar in my opinion), I'd say calling it their worst is pretty excessive.

As for comparisons to TR, as I mentioned I listened to it for the first time in ages earlier and I'd forgotten how bland and disappointing at least 80% of it is. I'd say Drones far surpasses it in that regard, without being as good as their earlier work.

I think I'm more critical of Muse's later releases now that they are established musicians. There's a feeling of 'they should have known better'. There's a load of crap songs from Muse's early years, but they used to write far more songs than they to now, which was bound to produce a few duds. These bad songs are usually just bland or forgettable, rather than embarrassing.

Unfortunately, I find the worst songs from the last 3 albums are actually embarrassing, especially considering they are handpicked early on in the song writing process as the best musical ideas they came up with.

I think my worst 5 are:

The Globalist & Unsustainable << Explorers, Guiding Light & Revolt

Cba with numbers. But I will still happily listen to all of it apart from Aftermath, which I think I did 3 times then decided "Nope, not again". I'm not a great fan of Revolt but I hate it less than when it came out, its great fun to sing along in the most ridiculous voice I can gather. :chuckle:

Reapers and Handler are the best ones. Psycho I still find fun, if a bit long. DI is good. Mercy is fairly fun, Defector is good if not great, and The Globalist+Drones may be a compositional mess, but I like it, weirdly.

Dead Inside 8/10

A brilliant pop rock song, they finally nailed what they were trying to go for with Undisclosed Desires and Madness. Matt's vocal work is fantastic.

Psycho 7/10

Like many have said, it's just too long. Needs a good minute and a half trimmed off and could have done with a variation on the riff to finish on. Great gig opener though.

Mercy 6/10

Pop Muse by numbers; there's nothing that really makes it stand out compared to something like Starlight, though I really like the vocals in the verses. Not keen on the bridge. The confetti live is pretty great but confetti improves most things.

Reapers 9/10

One of their best straight up 'rock' songs in ages, with a ridiculously catchy chorus. Great vocals, instrumentation and it's a beast live. Great fun to play on bass.

The Handler 9/10

Best song on the album IMO. I've always felt Muse are at their best (musically and lyrically) when they touch on the darker themes. Outstanding vocals which were sadly only ever matched a few times live :(

Defector 6/10

I like this one but I just wish they had reigned in on those Queen-esque backing vocals, this is coming from a huge Queen fan, even now they're so jarring :LOL:. The JFK speech leading in and ending guitar solo are brilliant.

Aftermath 4/10

This one starts so well, the intro is pretty haunting and I don't mind the chorus, the solo I love...but everything post solo is just :stunned:.

The Globalist 6/10

Mixed feelings with this one. The whistle intro on the album hurts my ears and live it's a complete buzz kill, the middle part is astonishing but the solo/post countdown section is criminally short, the final section is just really 'safe' for me...a little to similar to USoE, though it was improved live. That being said, I'm really hoping it's gone next tour and frees up two more song slots.

Drones 3/10

It's technically impressive but it's not something I would ever choose to listen to unless I had the album on in full. There was absolutely no need to play it twice during the arena shows either. :LOL:

Does anyone NOT think Psycho is too long? It's so weird that it made its way through the songwriting, recording and release without anyone in the band saying "...isn't it a little too repetitive?"

I think they might have done it on purpose: the many repetitions of the riff would symbolise the protagonist's hypnotic descent into the sergeant's thrall.

That doesn't mean I find the result on point or excellent, obviously, but it's an idea that makes me appreciate the song in its integrity a lot more than I would without.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

I think they might have done it on purpose: the many repetitions of the riff would symbolise the protagonist's hypnotic descent into the sergeant's thrall.

That doesn't mean I find the result on point or excellent, obviously, but it's an idea that makes me appreciate the song in its integrity a lot more than I would without.

Haven't we had this exact discussion? Anyway, concept should never go before quality. There is a way of "droning" on has been done really well by several artists before, but it simply isn't doing this song any favours. If they truly wanted to symbolise descent, why not make the song more deranged as they go on? Break it down, turn it up, make it more offensive. Do SOMETHING.