I honestly enjoy Drones more than the Globalist, not sure why but i find myself listening to that way more than Globalist which i've probably listened to all the way through about 3 times. Something about Drones doesn't necessarily seem that out of left field from them, it reminds me of something from the Origin/ Creepy Matt era, kinda like an acapella brother to Megalomania.

The Globalist + Drones

The Handler

Dead Inside

Reapers

Revolt

Aftermath

Defector

Mercy

Psycho

It might be a fun song or whatever but I'll never be able to get past those stupid fucking drill sergeant bits in Psycho. Used to love Mercy but it lost its staying power. Same with Defector. I still like the songs but they've lost their shine. Everything above Defector is ace to me

I don't think I ever posted a review, and I probably haven't even mentioned it, but my issues with some lyrics aside (particularly Defector/Revolt) and the fact that the concepts Matt talked about in interviews didn't really come across well, or at all... it's remained my favorite album since Absolution, hands down.

We were listening to TR and T2L last night, and it's tough to really nail down, but Drones has what those two had mostly lost; for me, feels like they figured out how to put the emotion back in the delivery.

My biggest complaint is just that it's too short/there aren't really enough songs, imo.

We were listening to TR and T2L last night, and it's tough to really nail down, but Drones has what those two had mostly lost; for me, feels like they figured out how to put the emotion back in the delivery.

This, really. That's the reason I like it a lot: it's nothing new, lyrics are in part bad and whatever, but it feels so emotional to me and that's always a great thing.

I honestly only feel like the lyrics are poor in a few places. I just think that going more basic and accessible with them made it so the different concepts of the "drone" didn't come across at all, which was a little disappointing.

The "backstory" that only came out in some interviews changed my view of some of the songs, and that's a bit of a problem, I suppose (like my initial dislike of the tone of Psycho, feeling it was a bit "jokey" for it's subject matter, but then hearing the thoughts behind it made it feel less so.)

Maybe Matt should have included liner notes for more of the tracks, to flesh out the "story."

Of course, it's my belief a lot of that "story" is just plain being evasive of some of the real topics.

I really have come to love all the lines that play off one another, and the silly little wordplay in them, though.

And the delivery in the songs honestly really does trump any little issues I have.

I can sit and pick apart the songs all I like, but the second I listen to them again, that's all out the window.

No, I agree. It didn't suit the subject matter. At least the stuff Matt put forth in interviews, Twitter, etc.

Always a bit disappointed Mutt told him to do it that way, and that he agreed.

I find it a bit weird that it is, of course, super "blunt" - but that straightforwardness ended up doing such a poor job of getting the point across.

I ended up quite enjoying Matt's choice of odd words (ablaze, pulverized, devour, razed, etc) and the light-hearted high/razed, throne/thrown stuff. And the stuff like "giving infinity/given everything."

This! That was something I immediately noticed and enjoyed in Dead Inside.