Nothing will ever top "Stretch it like a birth squeeze".

I wonder what people thought about that line around the time of release.

Nothing will ever top "Stretch it like a birth squeeze".

"life's a race and I'm gonna win"

"love is forever and if we die we die together"

"she attacks me like a Leo when my heart is split like Rio"

That line actually has a pretty decent meaning, but it could sound cringeworthy if you didn't understand the context.

or even if you did :LOL:

That line actually has a pretty decent meaning, but it could sound cringeworthy if you didn't understand the context.

or even if you did :LOL:

and don't forget "you are my muuuuuuuu"

...never forget.

"life's a race and I'm gonna win"

"love is forever and if we die we die together"

No one's arguing with the point that Matt's lyrics can be incredibly heavy handed, ridiculous or plain stupid :LOL: on the other hand, he also wrote some of my favourite ever lyrics so it's definitely a mixed bag lyrically. Not sure if that would truly ever ruin a song for me but each to their own

I still feel like it was never really meant to be a concept album, more than Absolution or OoS was.

Certainly an after thought, if you believe the interviews. And a loose concept at best.

Probably a nice evasion for Matt for all the "tell us how this is about Kate Hudson" interview questions.

I would say they shouldn't have pushed it as such so much, because it really is what everyone is focusing on, and it doesn't hold up to that.

And certainly I don't feel like what Matt described in interviews is portrayed as well in the songs. More like they are loosely and simply based on a deeper idea, instead of really communicating it.

Albums in order of worst lyrics to best lyrics:

Drones

Showbiz (Most of it doesn't hit me, and "I know when I'm arooooooouuuuusssssed!")

2nd Law

The Resistance

Black Holes and Revelations

Origin of Symmetry

Absolution

Survival's lyrics are by far the worst. It's also one of the reasons why they were/are easy to mock now iirc

In the context of the song I don't agree. They had to be super 'light' and uplifting because of the vibe the song is supposed to give. I think they're fine though personally. I just don't think there was any need to be over elaborate with the lyrics...

I've always found Survival pretty motivating personally :LOL:

Albums in order of worst lyrics to best lyrics:

Drones

Showbiz (Most of it doesn't hit me, and "I know when I'm arooooooouuuuusssssed!")

2nd Law

The Resistance

Black Holes and Revelations

Origin of Symmetry

Absolution

Origin Of Synmetry is mostly nonsense. BH&R is above it imo.

Fair enough. I like BHaR, but I prefer their abstract ramblings. To each their own.

Map of the Problematique's lyrics are some of my favourite that Matt has written. The sense of urgency that comes through with them is just so good.

Map of the Problematique's lyrics are some of my favourite that Matt has written. The sense of urgency that comes through with them is just so good.

I'd take Citizen Erased lyrics over Map, but it is in my top five lyrics.

I'd take Citizen Erased lyrics over Map, but it is in my top five lyrics.

To be honest, I just really like these lyrics:

Life will flash before my eyes

So scattered and lost

I want to touch the other side

I love it! :D

I'd say the best lyrics are Abso.

Best song lyrically imo would be Fury too... Technically on Abso

Screenager, Megalomania, CE and maybe Dark Shines are the only songs on OOS with particularly good lyrics imo. BHAR has TAB, Map, Supermassive, Assassin (Debase), COD, Invincible and Hoodoo. If Exo-Politics had the original lyrics, that's be up there as well.

We'll all agree that Hoodoo possesses the best Muse lyrics then...

Good!

Overrated, particularly that verse.

(Still good though)

I used to think OoS was nonsense, but since Drones has been out I'm thinking there is a similar, overarching concept between the two albums. One Matt wasn't honest about, because it's quite personal and twisted, though I think a lot of his early lyrics are of this ilk.

I find OoS is about lost love, of the young and highly obsessive variety, which ultimately drives you crazy. New Born sets the stage for this theme, to quote Matt, it's about being born into an alternate reality which is explained in the following songs.

Bliss is about being romantically obsessed with someone. They seem perfect, like the picture of happiness and success - blissful - and so you find yourself wanting to be exactly like them.

Space Dementia is similar. We say someone is "lost in space" when they live in a fantasy land (or an alternate reality), such as worshipping someone who seems perfect. The term "space dementia" refers to the sensation of being in space for so long that looking back upon the Earth (reality) drives you insane.

Hyper Music is where that longing turns into anger. The lyrics here are where the concept begins to solidify for me. "Your golden lies feed my role" - she led him on. "This forgotten space race under my control" - living in his own private reality. Then in Plug In Baby, he turns to music as an outlet for release.

I haven't settled on CE yet. It seems to be about losing your innocence and naïveté to someone, like a romantic partner. I think there is a lyrical connection between this song and The Globalist, just as I suspect Drones overall might be a heavily metaphorical retelling of a relationship. Again, parallels.

"Truth's unwinding, scraping away at my mind." This leads PERFECTLY into Micro Cuts, where the obsession turns into nightmares. The 'nonsense' lyrics, frenetic pace and twisted ambience all reinforce the idea that this song represents a detour into insanity.

The last few songs is where the concept goes a bit haywire, but across those seven songs I think there is a very consistent theme. Again, like Drones.

I wouldn't call OoS "nonsense" - but it was the start of Matt's particular style of blending personal relationship (or in some cases religious) issues with socio/political or science topics in many songs.

Matt's said he adds the "relationship" bits in to make the songs "relatable" but then Matt's been saying for years Showbiz was openly personal, and he found it disturbing to talk about in interviews and to fans, and my suspicion is he really covers up personal stuff with "higher level" issues that are somehow related in his mind. Like the idea of being constantly under surveillance or scrutiny, in Reapers, for example.

So, "Hyper Music" is supposedly about a book he read on hyperspace, there's little of that in the lyrics and moreso about either a bad relationship, or frustration with religious experiences.

Space Dementia is comparing overwhelming relationships or infatuation with an actual scientific phenomena. Etc.

It's not every song, but it was pretty prevalent from OoS to BH&R, and then completely went away.

It's one of the things I really liked about Muse, and I'm happy it's back in Drones, even if it might be a little more straightforward than previous releases.

Also, I always thought New Born was pretty straightforwardly about Matt's fear of technology destroying what makes us human.

Which, apparently has stuck with him for a very long time!

OoS is more consistent lyrically imo than BHaR. BHaR has higher points such as in Hoodoo, but Exo Politics is weaker overall than any lyrics on OoS.

The last few songs is where the concept goes a bit haywire, but across those seven songs I think there is a very consistent theme. Again, like Drones.

If you really wanna carry on the concept, I'd say:

Screenager - Feeling lost in a kinda state of flux and self-hatred/depression whilst the narrator (or maybe some other part of their conscience) also tries to remember how happy they were before this infatuation started.

Dark Shines - Frustrated/tired of feeling hurt by lost love, the narrator resorts to searching for his/her own innocent people to corrupt, as a weird sort of revenge. "Passing by, you light up my darkest skies/Be mine and your innocence I will consume."

Feeling Good - lol

Megalomania - The narrator has become completely disillusioned with love, empathy and has lost their connection with people in general ("The good news is she can't have babies/What are they for?"). "Take off your disguise, I know that underneath it's me" could also be the narrator saying 'You'll never admit it but, deep down, you're all the same as me' or it could just mean that he/she doesn't recognise themself anymore.

Not that I necessarily read that much into those songs, just suggesting possible ideas going along with your concept.

Espectro Cuatro and Serpent, you guys (well, guy and girl) clearly proved me wrong, so I surrender. I really didn't put much thought into it.