Not sure I agree. Reapers is pretty full on, The Handler is fairly spectacular, etc. Which bits do you think feel limp?

Off the back of the last two albums, it feels much fresher to me.

Well, not so much limp as I wanted more fire and less gloss. Reapers has rather goofy vocals up front and I can't help but think that breakdown was much more effective on Freedom, where everything in the song built to that climax. More ballads than were necessary.

or when the people who make it interesting get banned for no good reason...

I wouldn't describe anything posted by said user(s) as interesting or remotely funny/pleasant

Constantly being a dickhead seems like a pretty good reason to me, but I digress.

Yep

The concept is teenage bedroom scribblings level nonsense :LOL:.

His vocals only work with these kind of lyrics. "Better" lyrics would make his falsetto effectively worse. That's my theory at least. :shifty:

Muse lyrics were always an afterthought, never the driving creative force behind songs.

I don't really care anymore. :LOL:

Edited by Strangeseas

His vocals only work with these kind of lyrics. "Better" lyrics would make his falsetto effectively worse. That's my theory at least. :shifty:

Muse lyrics were always an afterthought, never the driving creative force behind songs.

That is true, but in the past, when the lyrics were more abstract, they could work. I still love Drones, it's my third favorite album by them, but the lyrics are the weakest part of the album. I don't know what you mean about the falsetto, but whatever. :p

I was hoping for a grittier, less Mercury-Bonoish style anyway.

but when you hear shit like cia babe and on the outside I'm the greatest guy, you just can't "not care" :LOL: I've reached a point when I'm actually embarassed to admit being a muse fan because of how impossibly painful the lyrics are 90% of the time :LOL:

I was hoping for a grittier, less Mercury-Bonoish style anyway.

I was hoping for some j-pop influence. You know what, you can't always have nice things in life!

but when you hear shit like cia babe and on the outside I'm the greatest guy, you just can't "not care" :LOL: I've reached a point when I'm actually embarassed to admit being a muse fan because of how impossibly painful the lyrics are 90% of the time :LOL:

I'm strange (:awesome:). I absolutely love stuff like Survival or USoE

When cheese is demanded, serve the cheese.

Edited by Strangeseas

Fuck fun. If I want laughs, I'll go listen to enter shikari or something. From Muse, I want goosebumps. and inb4 "omg u asshole u just want them 2 meet ur own Xpectationz omg" I'm seeing that they aren't becoming a "fun" band by choice, it's all there's left in them. It's like that tale with the guy who wanted too many years to live and he just ended up old fooling around like a kid.

Fuck fun. If I want laughs, I'll go listen to enter shikari or something. From Muse, I want goosebumps. and inb4 "omg u asshole u just want them 2 meet ur own Xpectationz omg" I'm seeing that they aren't becoming a "fun" band by choice, it's all there's left in them. It's like that tale with the guy who wanted too many years to live and he just ended up old and just fooling around like a kid.

Eh? PiB is fun, as is Bliss, New Born, SS, TOADA, so I'm really not sure what your point is. Do you have a specific definition of fun in mind?

I mean stuff like Panic Station, Reapers, Psycho, Revolt (jesuschrist), Survival lyrics etc, where the whole thing "isn't supposed to be taken seriously". a few songs like that would be okay, but there's just way too much of that. And it feels like when someone tells a bad joke and when nobody is laughing they say "ahhh come on guys it was SUPPOSED to be bad, gosh..."

I mean stuff like Panic Station, Reapers, Psycho, Revolt (jesuschrist), Survival lyrics etc, where the whole thing "isn't supposed to be taken seriously". a few songs like that would be okay, but there's just way too much of that. And it feels like when someone tells a bad joke and when nobody is laughing they say "ahhh come on guys it was SUPPOSED to be bad, gosh..."

oh ok, so basically "camp". I suppose I see where you're coming from if you don't like that kind of thing

EDIT: woah fuck, hang on, Reapers?? what have you got against that? You've lost me utterly haha

EDIT 2: Are you a troll or something?

but when you hear shit like on the outside I'm the greatest guy

I like this line though :(

Fuck fun. If I want laughs, I'll go listen to enter shikari or something. From Muse, I want goosebumps. and inb4 "omg u asshole u just want them 2 meet ur own Xpectationz omg" I'm seeing that they aren't becoming a "fun" band by choice, it's all there's left in them. It's like that tale with the guy who wanted too many years to live and he just ended up old fooling around like a kid.

Agree, though The Handler gives me proof that they can still write a song with better/good lyrics and still give me goosebumps (specifically the last verse)

Agreed (even if I like some of these songs.)

@Citizen Erased #01

in most cases, yes. in some cases like revolt or ibty, no. sadly...

I get where you're coming from when it's a lyrical perspective then, some of the lyrics are indeed ridiculous. So yeah fair enough. I can understand you'd be disappointed by a lot of Muse lyrics, but tbf that stretches quite far back so isn't really a new thing (look at Overdue for a start) so not really sure what to say. But I agree with ibty, should be stamped out from the earth ;)

It's not really ideal though, is it? ;)

I don't think the lyrics are as bad as people are making out, one bad line in a song doesn't mean all the lyrics in that song are bad. But in some cases where lyrics aren't meant to be taken seriously and are for fun I just don't see the appeal. It wouldn't be bad if fun lyrics were a one off thing, but the last 2 albums seem to have so many songs with "fun" lyrics